Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mileage issue

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Recently, within the last several months, I've had an issue (or think I am) with my Blaze appearing to log mileage incorrectly.  I am walking the same distance as I always have, and even walking with a friend who is logging separately.  Before we were close or VERY similar in mileage; however, now, when I walk with someone I am at least half a mile or so being them in total mileage.  My auto stride length is on, and I have GPS/location turned on.  And I reset my Blaze.  Any other suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Welcome to the forums!

You say you have auto stride on. It really is better if you figure out what your stride is and use that. You will have better accuracy.

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-measure-and-adjust-my-stride-length/

Please visit the discussions forums. There is a lot there as well. Its a great community!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@4of26I have my Blazes set to auto and when I walk at domestic pace, car parks, shopping centres, parks  etc my Blaze under reports the distance x 19%..When I walk at exercise pace it reports distance within 1%.  Because 70% of my steps are domestic, today, I have turned off Auto and set my walking stride to 15% above the Auto stride calculation. The "all day" distance as at typing this post is now within 1%.  I can't run.  ( Another Fitbitter suggested increasing the stride some months ago and it works for me.  THis applies to both of my Blazes.

The Auto stride for walking is 0.415 x your Height.

My Fitbit One is worn 16/7, the Blaze 24/7 and yesterday with country driving, walking and visiting the step count on the Blaze was 7,799 and the One was 7,953 steps . I'm happy with that and the One calculated the distance perfectly.

How do I know this ?. I divide the distance by the steps which gives my the average stride length for the day and I compare, and the result is 0.03%, so small and proves the One measures correctly.

I sent weeks of results to Support and with backwards and forwards with them with tests they suggested. There is no more they can do, no answer, only that is with the Engineers.Smiley Frustrated

With Connected GPS I get the Southern Hemisphere issue which reports East/West direction higher at the rate of about 30 cm/second or 12"/second higher and the resulting pace is 22% faster than my Surge.  The North/South Connected GPS is accurate.

I have no issues with Connected GPS on MapMyRun and Polar Beat.  I don't run consecutive Connected GPS's, just individual. Also I get no broken routes or dropouts. So I'm waiting for the next Blaze Firmware upgrade to see if these issues have been addressed.

My firmware and app is the latest and my Android is V7.0.. with no other issues with Fitbit.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

A warm welcome to the Community @4of26@WendyB and @Colinm39 thanks for stopping by.

As recommend by one of our friends here, I agree that you should put your stride length and turn the automatic stride length off. To measure this information, you just need to follow the instructions provided in this post. After this, test your Blaze.

Let me know the outcome. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@4of26Step 1 to do as @AlejandraFitbit has posted and enter your stride settings

Step 2, and because you post that you are walking, at the end of the day, divide your distance achieved  x steps for the day and see how close that is to your stride length for walking.

In your post you say about your mileage, and I presume that is 1/2 mile less.

What I suggest is based on,   "a step is a step", irrespective of "lost steps" or "gained steps" with the Blaze. Fitbit's definition is Distance = Steps x Stride when you aren't using Connected GPS.  So that will let you here the error might be.....

4of26 wrote:

Recently, within the last several months, I've had an issue (or think I am) with my Blaze appearing to log mileage incorrectly.  I am walking the same distance as I always have, and even walking with a friend who is logging separately.  Before we were close or VERY similar in mileage; however, now, when I walk with someone I am at least half a mile or so being them in total mileage.  My auto stride length is on, and I have GPS/location turned on.  And I reset my Blaze.  Any other suggestions?

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer