Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcounting Steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey

I bought my Fitbit Blaze yesterday but it seems to be pretty sensitive. I spent the day with my boyfriend and his family, we were playing board games which involved rolling dice and arm / hand movements. I noticed it increased my steps by around 150. It seems I can't remove these and it continues to increase with the slightest movement, even in sleep. I read that one "solution" is to wear it on your non-dominant hand, which makes sense, but I just can't wear it on my left as it feels horrible. The only other "solution" I can think of is only wear it when I'm actually moving / exercising and sleeping. As I spend most of my time at home on my laptop (so it'll probably count any mouse movement). Am I being stupid and missing a simple setting to change how it counts steps or the sensitivity? 

Thanks for any advice 🙂

Emma

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi there @elfwinters. Great to see you in the Fitbit Community Forums! 🙂

At the moment, there's no way to change the sensitivity of your tracker when recording your steps. However, fitbit devices have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running.  

When working at a desk, cooking, or doing other arm movements, a device on your wrist can pick up some extra steps if it thinks you're walking. Many of these situations—such as working or cooking—do include a few steps in-between stationary periods so the device tries to give you credit for those steps. For the vast majority of customers, the amount of stray steps accumulated is negligible when compared to the entire day.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, please, let me know!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

I just got my Blaze a day ago. Today the Blaze counted 5000 more steps than my

phone, (and my phone is always in my pocket), it even counted 20 steps to pull my pants up after going to the toilet. Waited months to buy this, wish I'd stuck to my Polar and chest band. 🙄

Best Answer
0 Votes