Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep stages accuracy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello all,

Since the new sleep stages have been released, my time asleep has almost doubled. Am I not reading something right? I have reset my watch, tried normal and sensitive mode, and even went as far as to set up a baby monktor to check my movements. I understand that the sleep tracker is only giving insights and is not 100% accurate, but to fluctuate that much is an issue. If anyone has received an answer to this, please advise. I have already looked through the other topics and to no avail, stock amswers askong about naps, battery life, etc. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
12 REPLIES 12

Hey there @jjuelzz. Good to see you in the Forums!

Something that I've noticed lately is that some people are seeing more time asleep with Sleep Stages and in most of the cases, this is due to the fact that when they wake up, they remain in bed for a long time without really moving like watching TV, checking their phone or similar things. The same thing at falling asleep. You might not fall asleep immediately when hitting the bed and your tracker also relies on your movement to determine if you're awake or if you're asleep.

I can recommend that when you wake up, you move around a bit, especially your hand where you're using your tracker for it to recognize that you've waken up and also syncing your tracker right after waking up is a good call as well.

Hope this works and let me know if you have more questions or need more help! 🙂

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

When I wake up in the morning, I sync my Fitbit first thing. I am up and at it as soon as I awake. I use my bedroom for sleeping purpose only. No tv and no phone usage. It is correct in my time falling asleep. 

I am referring to the huge gap as shown in the photos above. That is in no way due to my morning routine as you suggested, nor my nightly routine. 

This is a clear indication of something changing in the algorithm within the Fitbit sleep tracking system. Please advise on what has changed within, besides the normal stock responses that have been previously provided in other post replies. If this is not possible on your end, can you please private message me a contact that can provide me with answers and more insight into this issue. Thank youimage.png

image.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am curious about the answer as well.  My sleep time has upped considerably the 2 days i've had Sleep Stages.  I'm wondering (?) if perhaps what is documented as "light sleep" may be awake time or what was counted as awake time b/f the change?  I have insomnia and sleep very little per night.  The first night, i KNOW i was awake at times fitbit had me down as "light sleep."  How did i go from 2 hours a night to suddenly over 5 and then last night 7????  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FeRo could you please advise or provide me with contact information to further my query into this issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Any luck with an answer? I'm having the same issue and questioning the validity of this tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope. As seen above, @FerdinandFitbit still has not responded. I also have not received an email back from Fitbit. I will be switching to a different branded device for my future fitness and health tracking needs. There is just no support from the Fitbit team whatsoever other than stock responses and "workarounds"

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd like to know that as well..especially since I can't seem to get rid of Sleep Stages.  I went form averaging 4-5 hours a night to now 6-7 and that's crazy to me.  Either the pattern originally was super off or now the stages are. 

@FerdinandFitbit can you please let us know what could be the issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since getting the sleep stages upgrade my Blaze has been inconsistent. I may get stages for 4 or 5 consecutive nights then it goes back to old style sleep with no stages for a night or 2. In the 7 weeks since I upgraded the Blaze I have not had a week where it has worked every night. Another thing that was concerning me was that I don't get anywhere enough deep sleep. Then I noticed that one night it showed me as being asleep while I was working at the computer and during that period I had a nice long period of deep sleep!  Bit ironic that my longest period in deep sleep ever happened when I was awake, but at least I now know that the whole thing is very inaccurate and not worth taking any notice of.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've noticed the same thing 😊 Going from 4 & 1/2 hours of sleep on the old one to nearly 7 with the sleep stages. My sleep and wake up times are accurate, as are the awake times when I get up during the night. I actually think sleep stages may be more accurate than the old, because the tracked movement syncs with your heart rate to find the stage of sleep you would have been in? That's just how I rationalised the change anyway, haha. I could be totally wrong!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will be attempting to contact Fitbit again today. This is ridiculous that there has been no response or explanation. I am assuming that like all things, if they just let it go and give no response, it will just disappear. Consumer: I want answers!   Fitbit:......................   Consumer: Ive tried "contacting everyone I could at Fitbit support and no answer.   Fitbit: we are currently working on a New Blaze watch that will be waterproof.    Consumer: what about the sleep patterns?    Fitbit: we are always working on providing customers the best sleep algorithim. Try resetting 3 times and switching from normal to sensitive, and then back the next night. I hope this helps.   Consumer: still messed up sleep patterns, can you advise?   Fitbit:......................blaze 2 waterproof.   Consumer: Ok I will wait on the blaze 2 and see if the sleep patterns are "fixed" is pretty much how this will go

Best Answer
0 Votes

image.png

image.png

image.png

Losts of replies to people yeaterday, 

But we cant get a reply. Not even, I am still checking up on the issue. Smh. Great customer support Fitbit. 👍🏼

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sleep Stages is counting awake time while resting as light sleep, and as so, is horribly inaccurate. I am recovering from major surgery and unfortunately am on a medication that makes it very hard to fall asleep. My doctor and I agreed it would be good to use their Fitbit as a "guide only" to see if we could tell when I was actually falling asleep and how many times I was waking up. We were just hoping for anything close to what's true. I've collected 3 weeks of morning reviews of the data from the night before. Nope, not even close. 2 nights ago I was so n bed at 9:30 but didn't fall asleep until somewhere between 1:30-2 (last time I looked at the clock was 1:30) tossed and turned. Made sure to move my arm with the watch, even sat up a couple of times. Most of that entire time is blocked as light sleep. I woke up several times and it takes a good 30 mins for me to even begin to actually fall back asleep, again that's all Light Sleep. By my calculations against my own clock watching this is about 30% accurate. For someone with tea sleep problems, take this watch off and don't use it. It's super frustrating to wake up and it says you've slept 7.5 hours when you know it was around 3 hours. Good luck to all

Best Answer
0 Votes