Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splash proof?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Bit of a weird question, I know but I'm planning on getting a Blaze for my birthday and I was wondering, can I wash my hands with it? Or should I move it further up my arm before washing?
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I realise that the role of the moderators is to try and help people but I've noticed a few examples of misinformation from them recently. Water resistant and splash proof are two distintc terms that mean very different things. Just to make it clear the Blaze is not water resistant as it can not cope with being submerged under water.

Water resistance would come with a set pressure (depth) that the watch can cope with i.e. 50m, 100m etc.

I have splashed water on my Blaze while washing my hands, washing the car etc. and it has been fine but I've been very careful not to submerge it as I'm sure that would kill it pretty quickly.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Yes but just dont get water on it or submerge it

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see you around @Georgia98 and @WendyB thanks for stopping by and the information provided. Woman Happy All Fitbit trackers are water resistant, which means that they are rein proof and splash proof and can stand up to even the sweatiest workout. I don't recommend swimming with your Blaze or showering with it. 

If you need anything else, let me know. Woman Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had my blaze for about a month now, and I’ve been out in the rain with it and it has survived! I have just put it a bit further up my wrist when washing my hands. That being said, I ensure that all of my touch screen devices have screen protectors on them. My blaze is no exception to that, so I do recommend that!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Mira01 and thanks for the information, I know it would be helpful for a lot of users. Woman Very Happy If you need something, just post it.

See you around! Woman Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I realise that the role of the moderators is to try and help people but I've noticed a few examples of misinformation from them recently. Water resistant and splash proof are two distintc terms that mean very different things. Just to make it clear the Blaze is not water resistant as it can not cope with being submerged under water.

Water resistance would come with a set pressure (depth) that the watch can cope with i.e. 50m, 100m etc.

I have splashed water on my Blaze while washing my hands, washing the car etc. and it has been fine but I've been very careful not to submerge it as I'm sure that would kill it pretty quickly.

Best Answer
I have a tempered glass screen protector on mine but my paranoid mind is convinced that somehow water will get under the screen protector, get trapped and then mess my screen up, is that even possible?
Best Answer
0 Votes

The screen isn't the problem, it will be the seams of the case, buttons etc.

Splashing water on it won't cause an issue, submerging it in water so that the water is under pressure and has time to find its way in is another matter.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lordrobs wrote:

As long as we are getting technical, it is possible to carry a water resistance rating of IPX7 (30 minutes in up to 1 meter of water) and that commonly is known as "splash proof and rain proof." I suspect that if Fitbit decided to rate the Blaze's water resistance, they would rate it IPX7 (versus the confusing rating on Surge).

When it comes to water pressure ratings thats a whole lot of fun for a couple of reasons:

- pressure ratings like "5ATM" only refer to simple pressure test, with no movement

- movement while swimming or diving puts more pressure on the wearable, versus simple pressure test

- the international standard states "The manufacturer is responsible for stating whether a specific activity falls within the field of use of a particular watch."

And that is why Fitbit can say the Surge carries water resistance rating of 5ATM, but swimming is not ok.

Bottom line: there is no standard for real world activities, every company gets to define if swimming is ok or not.

A preview of the international standard is here: https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:22810:ed-1:v1:en

An easier to read article: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/water-dust-resistance-ratings-in-gadgets-explained/

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is water-resistant down to 1ATM.

Swimming applies force to the tracker, when moving your arms in water. And if crawling, one may even be subjecting it to the equivalent of entering the octagon to meet a world-class kickboxer (when the watch hits the water, again and again, slam, slam, slam).

Additionally, swimming usually happens in either salt water or chlorinated water. Neither is good for the exterior of the watch, mainly the metal. Salt water erodes metal.

I can't for the life of me understand why people fret so much over this. I've worn my Blaze in the shower many times, and NOTHING happens. I also RINSE IT UNDER HOT WATER daily. Again: NOTHING bad happens.

If you did dare take the Blaze under water, you'd realize that the touchscreen reacts to the water(-drops) which "press" the screen. So when I've showered with it, I'm like "No, you little rascal! I don't wanna clear my notifications! ... Argh, **ahem** it, don't start a Yoga workout... Nonono, don't turn on Classic Bluetooth!"

PS: If it COULDN'T deal with water, rest assured Fitbit would NEVER EVER write on their product care page as they've done. They would be more cautious. And they ARE cautious, in writing what they have.

So please: do your dishes, leave it on while showering if you're in a hurry out the door, but otherwise that it off and use the chance to clean it. I personally recommend rinsing it under water before showering, drying it with a towel, letting it dry fully while I'm in the shower: and on it goes again on my wrist, when I exit the shower.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just wanted to double check as I don't want to end up water damaging a device that costed me a pretty penny! Have you had any issues with getting the heart rate sensor wet?
Best Answer
0 Votes