Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps and miles not coordinated

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got a new Blaze and it is great, except it gives an inaccurate step count.  On my Charge I walk almost exactly 10,000 steps for 5 miles.  Blaze uses the same stride length I used on my Charge, but the Blaze says I have gone only 4 miles after 10,000 steps.  I tried resetting, but no joy!  
Any thoughts?

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

You reset the Blaze I assume right?

Follow these instructions and maybe reset your stride length:

Capture1.PNG

The Second picture is what to look for on the settings page with Personal Information.

Capture.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes

2000 steps per mile is actually a pretty long stride for normal person. Im 5 foot 6 amd take abput 2225 steps per mile. This count of course is dependant on how i feel.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks!  I did reset and I used the same stride length as I had used on my Force and Charge.  Somebody suggested making the run and walk strides the same, so I did that, and I will see if my mile/step numbers are more accurate tomorrow.  I've encountered additional problems which i willdocument in a post soon.  Thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same issue.  Did you find a fix for this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sort of. I set my run stride to equal my walk stride, as i do not run regularly. It did fine when I chose walking as an exercise with GPS on. I think also, with GPS off, walking OUTSIDE is pretty accurate. Seems INSIDE is not as accurate with my Blaze, but, "Give me more data, Scotti ..." and I may get different inside results. Hope this helps. 

Sent from Outlook Mobile
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not sure what the difference between outside and inside would be if GPS is off.  Distance should be spot on using GPS since it uses the GPS data, but if it is off it will rely on your stride distance.  The problem seems to be that it is not adjusting to my stride length which I find the lack of a fix frustrating.  

Best Answer
I agree. I would think Fitbit would use stride length for indoors and use gps (if on) for outside walking.  If no gps, I would think it would use stride length always. But apparently it has another algorithm based on arm swings or no record until some minimum number of steps walked, etc.  

Sent from Outlook Mobile
Best Answer
0 Votes

The best I can tell the Blaze seems to ignore the stride length because mine is also off, I have tried resetting and changing stride length and it changes nothing on the Blaze

Best Answer

@Jason212 our you running without GPS? If so then it will ignore the stride.

If GPS is of then it will only have the stride to refer to.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I did a little test as I have a Charge HR and a Blaze, I set my stride length so 2000 steps equal 1 mile just so I would have round numbers to work with.  I walked with the Charge HR and when I reached 2000 steps it had a distance of 1 mile.  I walked with the Blaze, not connected to GPS just walking about doing normal activities and when I reached 2000 steps on it it read 0.84 miles, if it was reading the stride length it should have also read 1 mile.  That is why I think it is ignoring the set stride length.

Best Answer
Nice test. I think my old charge was also more accurate than the blaze. I’ve done a bit more research. When I walk outside ONLY the blaze is quite accurate, as long as I walk more or less normally, arms generally swinging and stride fairly consistent. It’s not off by more than 50 steps (or less) per mile which is ok with me. Likewise, when I count 100 steps inside it is also spot on. However, my daily total (inside and outside walking) is often not so good. (E.g., today, Blaze says 10,280 steps is 4.83 miles rather than a tad over 5 miles which it should be given my stride length. That’s off by 4+ %, not awful, but annoying.)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes thats how it is for me also, it counts my steps fairly accurately, it just isn't converting that to the proper distance

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly the same for me.  It seems that everyone who is having this problem requires around 2,400 steps for a mile on the Blaze.  That must be the default stride length and it is not using what we have entered in our profiles.

I hate being shorted miles.  I have been wearing my One, turning bluetooth off on my phone and syncing my One first, then the Blaze, that way I get correct mileage on all devices and my account.  If I let the Blaze sync first, the incorrect mileage will show up on my One.

Best Answer
This is what I am finding to be wrong tried explaining that I am getting different stride lengths every day it's not consistent every time I have walked with gps it's been fairly consistent steps to miles so set stride length to that but always comes up short when not use gps even though stride length is set much higher it's like the blaze does not recognise it!
Best Answer

Yep, that's the issue.  The watch is perfect with GPS since it uses the coordinates to measure mileage.  I love the watch while running, but it frustrates me the rest of the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes