Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange spike in GPS data

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Generally very pleased with my Blaze which I have had for about a month now. However, one thing that is frustrating has cropped up on my last two bike rides. The GPS tracking has randomly added some weird spikes (see below). Anyone know why this might be happening and if it can be avoided?

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

It's great to see you around @timburdon. If your phone is not successfully tracking your GPS information, I recommend doing the following:

1. Make sure your device can track your activity when you're out of wi-fi range. To do so, tap Settings > Cellular and make sure Cellular Data is on. 
2. Make sure the app can track GPS when your device is locked. To do so, tap Settings > General > Background App Refresh and make sure it's on for both the phone and Fitbit specifically. 
3. Make sure your device is able to identify your location. To do so, tap Settings > Privacy > Location Services and make sure it's on for both the phone and Fitbit specifically. 

For more information about GPS accuracy please see http://fitbit.link/1KMcmk0.

I hope this helps, let me know the outcome. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply, but I think you have misunderstood the problem. The gps tracking worked, but with the exception of a random spike (see pictures) - I'm confused as to why it would do this.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That strange spike happens because the gps lost a lock on your position and said you were out there. Apparently the software that processes the gps data is not smart enough to know it can't be true.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, that makes sense. I don't suppose there's any way to avoid it happening?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've been using phone apps since 2009 and this problem was solved years ago by the better app vendors. Fitbit needs to up its game and do a better job throwing out obvious bad GPS data.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes