Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 Firmware Update 194.91

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update version 194.91 for Charge 5 is now available! If you installed it, let us know what you think!

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Full release notes can be found here.

HOW DO I UPDATE?
See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step by step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, review these Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
843 REPLIES 843

this update completely broke my charge 5. it was perfectly fine before. the moment the update was complete, the screen was black and the logo began flashing. I let it die, then charged it-that worked for a few hours tops, at which point the screen went black again. now it has lines across the screen like a broken tv. I haven’t even had this watch for a full year yet. I will not be buying from fitbit again. 

Best Answer

This update bricked my device - when does Google intend to fix this?

Best Answer

My charge 5 literally died since this "infamous upgrade". 

What makes me more angry and frustrated is that it is still fairly new, and it was working fine until this upgrade happens .

Then in early January 2024 I noticed that it was working weirdly starting with a black screen for some time, but still recording data; then it died around mid Jan' 24. 

Now, all I see when I try charging it to see if I get some life back onto it -  is just the fitbit logo, but nothing else.  After stop charging it goes back to a completely non reactive black screen and nothing gets recorded on my app either.   

This is very poor as a company ethics; needless to say customer services, quality of support and products.   I am bitterly disappointed and I will never get another Fitbit, plus will definitely NOT RECOMMEND it to anyone.

Elvira Florentin 

Best Answer

Curious to know where everyone lives in the world.  Was this on purpose so that they no longer have support for these devices as Fitbit is no longer available in my country due to the merge with Google. 🤔

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gadgets/514391-fitbit-is-leaving-south-africa.html#:~:text=Google%20i....

Best Answer

> Google assured that Fitbit and Nest products already sold in South Africa would continue to function and receive software support from the company.

But then again, nobody really gets support for all our bricked trackers as the only option given to us is to buy a new one after their update broke your device.

Best Answer

Same here. Screen suddenly black, but still syncing, still charging, still recording steps..but screen is just black, dead. Have tried the 3 presses reset, only for.fitbit icon to show for a second, then go dark again.. i got this last june, so it is still fairly new. Pretty sure there's no official store here, hence cannot claim warranty. Is there any way to fix ?

Best Answer

I am another of the seemingly many who now has a device that doesn't work properly after the update. This is my second Charge 5 because the first one went haywire too, however, I was within warranty for that one. Both lasted a little under a year each before having some issues with no remedy. I also contacted customer support, which was not helpful due to the scripted approach of troubleshooting and no warranty support.

There are numerous articles popping up about this issue, however, Google has washed their hands of it saying it was not the firmware update. I think I'm out, cannot trust the company anymore with back to back experiences like this. This was also my first experience with fitness trackers, I now have a sour taste about the business practices, reliability of devices, and services for Fitbit.

Best Answer

Same, regarding Fitbit 5. Bought a 6, but if it dies, it'll be the last Fitbit for me 

Best Answer

Guauuuu ... I'm in shock!!!

When two weeks ago I updated the firmware and then started with strange behaviors in my charge 5 I thought "no ... It can not be the firmware update. It is Google you know ... They will have tested it hundred of times before releasing the update."

I've been working in an IoT startup and changing firmware was "a delicate" subject. A lot of trouble shooting and test before releasing it to customer in "production", but ... We were a 18 person startup.

How does Google dare to make such a failure and then suggest to already loyal customer to spend more money to buy a new device????

My device is "burning" the battery life in 48h when it has worked flawless before (6/7 days of battery).

I will claim the warranty (24 months legally in my country), reject any other offer and advise anyone not to purchase any Fitbit device on the future.

Very well done ... One customer less.

Best Answer

Upgrading or downgrading firmware is just CHANGING the firmware. It is not possible to manually install firmware on these devices so the only simple/quick solution without Google spending the $ to pay their engineers to diagnose the why would be to release an upgrade of firmware that is in essence just the old firmware code. Very simple but they aren't doing that. Why? Maybe they want Fitbit to die, it's possibly a $ loser for the company? Either way there is a reason. They have a strategy, that's for sure and that seems to be blindfold and wait for now. I don't get it.

Best Answer

Do a search on the internet and you will find stories about Fitbit pulling out of other countries. Fitbit made a lot of changes with color schemes and eliminating things like challenges, awards and community. All of these items made Fitbit what it was, but no more. It would seem that Google is doing this on purpose with the sole intent of reducing the market share of  Fitbit so consumers will put more focus on there other line of smartwatches.. well RIP Fitbit, there’s a lot of competition and when my 6 goes bad I’ll be moving on. 

Best Answer

My Charge 5 updated last week and now the battery lasts only 2 hours; from what I have read, this has happened numerous times (more often than not).

Support has been anything but supportive and even apologized that they cannot give me a discount, I find it ridiculous that it would be assumed I will ever purchase another Fitbit product!  In the past I had recommended Fitbit to several people, I will now recommend to never buy a Fitbit product.

What I had asked of support was to send me the latest update, I do not believe I have the 194.91.

The firmware version on my app is:  57.20001.188.58

I would like the option to install the latest update; and if it turns out that I do have the latest update, I'd like to have the opportunity to reinstall;

there has been actiions on the part of Fitbit support to actually try to fix the issue.  

My situation is not unique, my Fitbit isn't a 'dud', in that case, I would be more understanding, this is an issue that has happened repeatedly for over a year.

Is there anyway to have the update pushed to my phone?

Best Answer

The "194.91" refers to the firmware version on the Charge 5 itself, not the phone app.

Launch your Fitbit app on your phone

-Tap the phone/device/battery %  icon in the upper left 

Markfm_3-1707575734753.png

-Tap on the Charge 5

Markfm_4-1707575837182.png

-If the last part of Firmware Version is 194.91 you have the update this thread is talking about

Markfm_2-1707575508545.png

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the response
I am looking in the correct place
My version number ends in 188.58

Get Outlook for Android<>
Best Answer

The new update for the fitbit charge 5 194.91 has really drained out the battery. It hardly last for 3-4hrs and that too without any activity. Is there a way to rollback the update on the fitbit charge 5

Best Answer

Updated to the current version on my Fitbit.  Was hoping it would fix the syncing issue.  Previously had login into my Fitbit account on a browser while having the app open to sync on my iPad.  It surprised me on Friday when it synced without requiring these steps, but now it is back to requiring logging in on the browser before it will update on the app.  Still awkward.  I really thought Google was better with technology than this.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I updated by firmware last week and on Saturday whilst out running my phone just died, despite me having plenty of battery when I set off..  When I plug into the charger I now just get a flashing fitbit logo and a black screen.  I have followed all the information to reset, clean etc however still no response.  My fitbit is less that a year old having the last one fail on me and after contacting fitbit they have said that I need to purchase another device.  No reduction on this either.  No doubt to say I am extremely frustrated and will not be purchasing another one anytime soon.

Best Answer

Wow. that would be nice if the battery in the device didn't drain in an hour.

Best Answer
Agreed!!Sent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

Fitbit no longer works after this update, when are you sending out a ‘fix’ update

Best Answer