Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 Firmware Update 194.91

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update version 194.91 for Charge 5 is now available! If you installed it, let us know what you think!

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Full release notes can be found here.

HOW DO I UPDATE?
See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step by step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, review these Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
843 REPLIES 843

@BettyB24 what settings did you change in order to get the 2-3 days out of your battery? After the update, my battery went from last about 7 days to barely lasting 24 hours! I have GPS set to "phone", screen sent to "sleep", and rarely interact with it while it's on my wrist. It sounds like you figured something out that helps and I bet a lot of us, whose devices haven't yet fully bricked, would love to learn your secret sauce!!

@LordWest if you read a lot of Charge 6 reviews (e.g., on Amazon), you'll see that they're experiencing similar issues with reliability, connecting the device to the app, and battery drain. I considered an "upgrade" but the Charge 6 reviews scared me off and the underwhelming assistance from Fitbit deters me from ever purchasing another one of their products in the future. In this economy, who among us can afford to flush $160-$250 down the toilet every six months? And they don't even offer a trade-in incentive or a recycling program for all their devices that have now become glorified paper weights to us all. But, alas, "there's no problem here...it wasn't the update". 

@JewlzK Where did you see that Fitbit pulled the update? Do you happen to know if there is a way for Charge 5 users to roll-back or uninstall the most recent update?

Best Answer
0 Votes

All this for a few more clock faces.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, the BBC has picked it up, seemingly, they have been perusing these message boards: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-68140297

Regardless, I agree completely. Nothing like a thorough public shaming to try to get a tech giant to do the right thing or at least give the public fair warning about what they're in for if they waste money on a Fitbit product. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I didn't do anything with the settings so I can't explain why so many
people are having such varied behavior but it still all points to bad
firmware.
Best Answer
Some people cant write software. I wouldnt trust them anymore.
Best Answer

I had the same issue. I purchased three fitbit Charge 5 last year.  In December of 2023, Two of the fitbits had to be replaced and were under warranty.  And in January, the 3rd one started having issues after the update with not synching and the frozen logo.  I was given the run around by tech support AND the warranty department first saying they'd provide a discount and then saying they would not because it's out of warranty.  Then they said they'd provide a discount but "it cannot be Ace range, Charge 6 or Google Pixel Watch and Google Pixel Watch 2".  I was fine with that thinking I'd be able to get another Charge 5 BUT they don't have any available on the website.  Here's an article I found about other customers having issues: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-68140297  Pretty disappointed in this company.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After arguing with Fitbit for several months they finally agreed to give me a refund! Deposited it directly to my PayPal account. That may give some hope to other people out there. Get rid of it while you can.

Best Answer

So frustrating to see all these issues. Mine stopped turning on 8 days ago and will only stay on for a split second but with 90% battery life! It's useless now and only 13 months old 😡 This is also after having two Charge 4 with the band breaking at 11 months old. Those were replaced under warranty thankfully but 3 in 3 years is ridiculous. I contacted Google who aren't doing anything and just sente back to complain here. I would like the contact details to send a formal complaint. Does anyone have these details please?

Best Answer

I'm using Change 5 for a long time and NFC pay works great even on under 10% battery.
Normally it last 7 or 8 days, so I was chaging it once every weekend.
Now after 194.91 update when battery goes under ~30% and I try to pay - device turns off and the only way to turn it on is to connect it to the charger for a second to start it up. It will work until 4% (if no other NFC payments are used.)

Now I have to chanrge it 2 days earlier (every 5 days) because I can not count on it after battery goes below around 30%!

Something in battery managment was chanhed in version 194.91 when NFC payment is made.
Please do something in next firmware!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am curious.  If you are on this thread could you please answer the following questions by replying to this post?  (1). Did you migrate to a google mail account? (2) Are you using an Apple or Android phone?  I’ll go first…(1) No (2) Apple X

Best Answer
1. Yes
2 Apple
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
1. Yes 2. Android. I also have not done the latest update. Scared too at this point. Phone and app working fine at this time.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
1. No
2. Apple 15pro

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
1) No
2) Apple
Best Answer
0 Votes

Similar here. My charge 5 died about a month ago, so I took over my wife’s since she wasn’t using it, and then it had terrible battery problems before finally dying. Both seem to be unrecoverable.  Hey Google, this is a real problem. Don’t leave everyone hanging  

Best Answer

Fitbit died last night and I can’t even get it to connect to Bluetooth to do anything. I have have not made any changes to Google or my phone. 

Still posed off that my old one went completely dead on July 4, 2023 and it was less than a year old. 

I think this will be my last Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's amazing.  Maybe the tide is beginning to turn?

Best Answer

1. No

2. Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried to include the email address of the warranty department but received this message:  "The message body contains 'email address' which is not permitted in this community.  Please remove this content before sending your post." 

Best Answer
0 Votes

..... And for all the people who are reporting issues here there are probably a 1000 more that don't actually come in the forum....

Best Answer
0 Votes