Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 Firmware Update 194.91

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update version 194.91 for Charge 5 is now available! If you installed it, let us know what you think!

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Full release notes can be found here.

HOW DO I UPDATE?
See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step by step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, review these Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
801 REPLIES 801

Upon installing the update, my sleep score disappears halfway through the day and doesn't come back. Just something else not working. It's always something. Please help! I refuse to buy another Fitbit until I can get this one to work properly. I have very little faith left in this company.

I'm also not seeing any new clock faces. Another frustration

Best Answer

Has there been any response to this? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

like gdio53 who posted "After my initial post, I experienced rapid battery drain after a week or so.  Now the screen is black and won't respond to any touches.  Tried to restart using the button on the charge cable, it vibrates quickly with the button pushes and get the longer vibration after the 3rd button, but still no screen,  I can see the device using a BT scanner on my phone, but can't do anything with the tracker."   I am experiencing the exact, and I mean exact, same issues only 2 days later than gdio53.

Best Answer

I had that yesterday. Today I am back to having a screen but the only correct thing is the date and the time and all the other metrics stay at zero. So basically I am back to having just a normal clock 🤣 thanks a lot 😡

----

Hi Cris. What about the other metrics that are not working. I am basically down to a normal watch because the only thing that is working is the time and the date. Everything else stays at zero. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The update that's bricked my device... annoyed is an understatement.

Appreciate everyone posting their attempts at fixing it, guessing I'll be contacting the helldesk and going around in circles tomorrow.

Wish there was a way to rollback the update, it worked fine for a few hours after and now it's the diamond of death. No way would you ever launch an update to a device without a failsafe unless you wanted to force a bunch of people to update their device

(purchased Feb 2022)

*UPDATE*
I contacted the helpdesk, explained my issue and what I'd done to try to resolve.
The issue I was having was my Charge 5 was switching on (blue diamond), failing to load, going black and switching back on again. It wasn't loading the OS at all so I couldn't connect to it from the app. This was a few hours after I'd done the update.
Steps I'd taken:
- Plugged my device into the charging cable and pressed the button every second 3 times (device should go black and restart)
- Let the device go flat and try the above step
- Helpdesk requested I try changing the clock (which my device was not far enough into the booting process to connect to my phone)

That was Tuesday morning, it is now Wednesday lunch and I have a new replacement Charge 5 already on my wrist!
I could either replace my Charge with a 5 (no charge) or 50% off a 6
Note: This was just the face portion, just clipped on my band and using my charging cable.
I'm in Australia

Best Answer

Mine is even WORST, I have it completely DEAD. The only thing that happens is that you get a small vibration feedback everytime you touch the button on the cable.

I believe that at this point, its completely impossible to recover, so I will eventually throw it in the garbage.

I am absolutely pissed with this company.

Best Answer

Hey, @Natz2010 Welcome back to the community.

I appreciate your post in regards to the battery situation with your Charge 5.

I can confirm you have contacted support and they have already gave you a solution. If you have any other question or concerns, my best recommendation would be contacting them back once again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After the same experience where my Charge 5 got bricked after the firmware update, I have given up after being given no resolution. 

2 fitbits in 4 years shows the quality of the product. I have moved to another product but can’t say too much or my post will get deleted. 

Best Answer

@ED57  About Garmin...

I recommend you to watch the youtube videos of "the quantified scientist" before buying any other smartwatch, since this guy is giving you a very, very reliable scientific feedback about every smartwatch there is worth trying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, @tealpsu Welcome to the community, I'm happy to see you here posting.

Thanks for the explanation in regards to your sleep score.

I recommend you to check 'Why don't I see a sleep score?', this will help you on what do to in this situation. Also, restart your Charge 5 before sleeping once again, it can help get the sleep score.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, @wayneladner Welcome to the community!

Thanks for letting me know your situation with the screen of your Charge 5 after the update.

I was able to confirm you contacted support and they solved the situation for you, contact them once again if you have any other question or concern, please.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My sleep score shows up. But then disappears halfway through the day. Has nothing to do with it not tracking sleep
Best Answer
0 Votes

My battery did not even last through my commute - and it is not even measuring anything to boot. How is it supposed to survive a training session or record sleep - if I ever get it back to actually measure things correctly that is… 

Bought it at the end of April ‘23 (and now the battery doesn’t even survive my commute and it tracks nothing)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having exactly the same issue

Best Answer
0 Votes
no, CrisVillaFitbit, they didn't solve it at all. They helped me
troubleshoot and attempt a new clock face, but it didn't work, and the unit
was declared dead. They offered me a discount on a new unit, however there
are no Charge 5's available, and the discount specifically EXCLUDED Charge
6's, so since I'm looking for a replacement fitness tracker, the discount
amounts to no help at all. Very unsatisfied.
Best Answer

Unfortunately I am also having new battery issues after the update.  My battery used to typically last about a week, sometimes more.  Today it completely drained from 89% to black screen in a couple hours.  My phone couldn't find it to try to sync, the screen was the black all day.  I did did the 3 button press reset when I got home from work and it did wake up, now showing 40% battery and charging.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated my Fitbit a few weeks ago. Nothing worked outside of the screen. Reset every which way possible. Nothing changed. This past weekend, all I got was a blinking green light on the back and a blank, unresponsive screen. I chatted with support, and they gave me a 35% discount code for a Fitbit that I can’t buy on the website anymore, so, you know, thanks(?). I’m about done wasting money on these things. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Updated the Fitbit app on my phone today (IOS), and there are 4 extra clock faces available now.

Not that I am very exited about the design of them, but finaly some extra to choose from.

Brisk it is now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Glad I came here to check before installing the new firmware update.

Are the issues users have experienced above revolved, or is the current update now stable?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I never lost my screen and my battery seems to be alright. However, my
sleep data, on my watch, is intermittent. Currently my sleep is showing but
will probably disappear shortly. Currently my blood oxygen isn't
registering either in my watch or in the app.
I am currently in a health study through the NIH that uses my Fitbit data
to record in their findings. I am not confident that they are getting what
they need, when they need it, and of the accuracy. I don't think it is
fixed.
Best Answer