Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 Won't Charge

ANSWERED

My Charge 5 will no longer charge (anyone else see the irony here).  I have cleaned the contacts on both the Fitbit and the charging cradle/cable.  I have tried several different USB power adapters and yet the Charge 5 does not take a charge.  It is still running, but the battery is down to just 7%. So it won't be long before it dies.  Any troubleshooting suggestions?  Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with a Charge 5 to be able to try their charger.  

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I contacted customer customer via live chat earlier this morning and the problem has been solved!

PXL_20221202_151030816.jpgHere is what the support agent had me do:

I see, let's try to restart and let us see what will happen.

1. Connect your device to the charging cable.
  2. Press the button located on the flat end of the charger 3 times within 8 seconds,
    holding each press for about 1 second.
  3. Wait 10 seconds or until the Fitbit logo appears.
    Note: If the device doesn’t restart, wait 15 seconds to try again.
  4. Once the Fitbit logo appears the device is restarting and it should begin charging

I had no idea there was a button on the charging cable.  I have included a picture of it on the USB-A connector here for reference.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
120 REPLIES 120

Hi, welcome to the Fitbit Community forums, @CFPhoto.  

Thank you for sharing all these details about the inconvenience you've been having with your Charge 5 and for confirming that you already tried a few troubleshooting steps.  

I've been informed that you already contacted the Customer Support team for further assistance with this and it seems they've shared some instructions with you. In this case, they will let you know how to proceed.  

Have a good day. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

I contacted customer customer via live chat earlier this morning and the problem has been solved!

PXL_20221202_151030816.jpgHere is what the support agent had me do:

I see, let's try to restart and let us see what will happen.

1. Connect your device to the charging cable.
  2. Press the button located on the flat end of the charger 3 times within 8 seconds,
    holding each press for about 1 second.
  3. Wait 10 seconds or until the Fitbit logo appears.
    Note: If the device doesn’t restart, wait 15 seconds to try again.
  4. Once the Fitbit logo appears the device is restarting and it should begin charging

I had no idea there was a button on the charging cable.  I have included a picture of it on the USB-A connector here for reference.

Best Answer

Hello, DavideFitbit.   My Charge 5 purchased 7/31, 2022 quit charging two days ago. I was happy to find your response to CF
Photo regarding the re-set button on the charger and am trying your suggestion right now. I'm hoping that is effective, although having done that reset action an hour ago it has not charged any amount.  The dotted emblem did flash on and a quick vibration occurs.   This is the same as has been happening for the past two nights when connecting to power (without the re-set action.)  Hoping the re-set on the charger will work.  Will be back in touch if this is not successful. (12/4/2022) Thank you.

Best Answer

Thanks for the info. This did not work for me. I tried to reset the Fitbit and got the logo after pushing the button on the charger but it still will not charge.

Best Answer

It good to see you visiting the Community forums for the first time, @Vateacher

Thank you for confirming that you're also having this problem with your Charge 5 and for confirming that you already tried a few steps. 

I've been informed that you were able to get in touch with the Customer Support team as well and it seems they were able to provide you with further assistance. In this case, they will let you know how to proceed. 

@Sisscatt Thanks for sharing that you've been experiencing the same problem. Let me know if you continue to experience the same issue with your Charge 5 after the steps suggested. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just had the same problem, and I tried this and it worked. The problem seems more that the software is locked instead of a charging problem, because when the watch came back on, it was fully charged, when just before it had been at 67%. It also syncs again, which it didn't before I tried this.

Best Answer

@Geigerin Thanks for sharing this information. 

It's good to know the steps shared by the Community have been helpful for you.

Let me know in case you continue to experience the same issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me neither.

Best Answer

Hi, thank you for confirming that you've been experiencing the same problem with your Charge 5, @BillS11.  

I've been informed that you already contacted the Customer Support team for further assistance with this. In this case, they will let you know how to proceed and I recommend that you continue the communication with them. 

Have a good day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok.  I get it.  I will remove my account and move on to a company that backs their product.

Have a good day. 👍 

Best Answer

@BillS11 Thank you for the information and for the feedback provided so far. 

Our team is always working to improve the Fitbit experience and your feedback is a big part of that process. This helps a lot to continue working on improvements to products and services. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This did not work for me 😢

Best Answer

HI @DavideFitbit 

I have encountered the same issue with my 6 month old Fitbit Charge 5. I have followed all the steps described but the fitbit is stuck at 0% charge and just wont charge up. I need help please. Really missing my fitibit for the past 2 days 😞

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit community forums, @photeric.  

Thank you for confirming that you're having the same inconvenience with the Charge 5. 

Could you please provide a few more details about the issue? In the meantime, please make sure that you've followed the steps provided in this article. If the device is charging, but the screen is completely black, make sure that you've also completed the three pulse restart procedure described here

@Smaragdin I've been informed that you already contacted the Customer Support team for further assistance with this. In this case, they will let you know how to proceed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exact same issue for me. 6 months old. Started draining rapidly (dead within a day for a couple of days) then from fully charged to dead in less than an hour. Now won’t charge and reset didn’t work for me. Fitbit have replaced it as you would expect them to. 

Best Answer

My Charge 5 stopped charging (did not even get the buzz/vibration when connecting the charger).

Tried different USB outlets and even a different charging cable, without it charging.

Tried pressing and holding the reset button before the Charge 5 went completely dead, but that didn't reset the watch.

I think that something broke in the charging circuit and the watch no longer recognizes any charging cable connected.

Did open a support tickey via Chat and am now waiting for an email with warranty options.

Best Answer

@Billikj Thank you for sharing this update and for confirming that you'll be receiving a replacement soon. 

@ToppTur I've also been informed that you already contacted the Customer Support team for further assistance with this and it seems they've shared some instructions with you. In this case, they will let you know how to proceed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the exact same issue as above, cleared, tried different ports, the reset pressing button has not worked,  now completely dead. Please help I miss my watch!

Best Answer
Unfortunately they never figured out why it stopped charging. It was
declared dead and out of warranty. They did give me a 30% off coupon, so I
ended up buying a new one.
Best Answer