Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 battery drain

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Having used the Charge 5 Fitbit for around 13 months I am experiencing severe battery drain issues despite having battery advantageous settings, from minimal apps, screen off until double tapped and having the gps off. The warranty got over at 12 months & not sure what to do. This is happening past 1 week & the device was perfectly fine before this.

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I appreciate all this information that you've shared about the inconvenience that you've been having with your Charge 5, @ayaashpaw

If you haven't done so already, please make sure that you've followed the steps provided in this article to improve battery life in general, as this has been generally useful for other users. In addition, please complete a three pulse restart following the steps listed here below: 

1. Connect your device to the charging cable. For instructions, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  2. Press the button located on the flat end of the charger 3 times (end if the USB cable), pausing for 1 second between presses. Then wait 10 seconds or until the Fitbit logo appears.

The battery can last up to 7 days; because battery life is affected by use and other settings, actual results may vary, but the battery shouldn't be draining only after a few hours. 

I'll be around. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
75 REPLIES 75

Hi, I appreciate all this information that you've shared about the inconvenience that you've been having with your Charge 5, @ayaashpaw

If you haven't done so already, please make sure that you've followed the steps provided in this article to improve battery life in general, as this has been generally useful for other users. In addition, please complete a three pulse restart following the steps listed here below: 

1. Connect your device to the charging cable. For instructions, see How do I charge my Fitbit device?
  2. Press the button located on the flat end of the charger 3 times (end if the USB cable), pausing for 1 second between presses. Then wait 10 seconds or until the Fitbit logo appears.

The battery can last up to 7 days; because battery life is affected by use and other settings, actual results may vary, but the battery shouldn't be draining only after a few hours. 

I'll be around. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

I’ve tried everything & it simply won’t hold a charge for more than a couple hours. While I don’t mind evening out the tan line on my wrist, I’d like to be able to wear my Fitbit to track my exercises & routines, but I can’t do that if it’s dying so often. I’m not next to a charger 24/7 to charge it that often.

This is a recent issue as of maybe a week ago. The battery used to last a whole week & I would charge for a few hours for the next week. 

Best Answer

Mine too. Seemed to start after the most recent Fitbit update c

Best Answer

In my experience with Fitbit (Charge 3 & 4) the device will fail soon after the 12 month warranty.  You will need to contact customer service and they will give you a discount coupon to purchase the next version.  I got ~$50 knocked off the $150 sale price of my Charge 5, when the Charge 4 failed.  Use the coupon if you want to stay in the Fitbit product ecosystem.  I'm looking at Garmin for my next device.

Fast battery drain is a problem that came up for me about 2 weeks ago.  Like yours, the charge that would last 7 days, is now down to < 2 hrs.  I came here looking for answers and will see if @DavideFitbit solution resolves the problem.

Best Answer

UPDATE: I thought I could charge my Fitbit fully & do a quick 30 minute workout before the battery fully drained and by the time I walked downstairs & got setup for my workout (<5 minutes) IT DIED. This is absurd. Everyone at Fitbit needs to fix this issue already. It’s purely decorative at this point and completely nonfunctional. 

Best Answer

I am also having the same problem, a week ago it would hold a charge for several days, now it the battery drains in about 2 hours.  This is completely useless.  I tried to get help in Chat, I was told to install the update, which I did, and it was not helpful.   I am also having problem with losing connection with Bluetooth.  I am very disappointed, I purchased this device to replace my ionic which I was very happy with.

Best Answer

Fitbit chat had a replacement on the way to me in 15 minutes. I was able to show I’d tried all the reboot/reinstall processes with no luck so they just replaced. 

Best Answer

I.am.having the same issue. I have done everything that I can to troubleshoot the battery draining. However, this week my watch will charge to 100% and suddenly be dead within an hour. Not sure what to do.

This has only occurred in the last week. Before this my watch would stay charged for at least a week.

Best Answer

I got on the chat line to Fitbit (through my account on the app).  They were able to establish the fast discharge issue from looking at my account and had a new unit on the way to me in no time under warranty.  I think quite a few have been experiencing this post the last app update.  Maybe coincidence, but I suspect not!

Best Answer

I started having issues with my Fitbit on Friday. Previously it was working fine and I had no issues. On Friday I went for a swim and noticed that I couldn't get the screen to display the time afterwards. I didn't take too much notice as I had the water lock on and sometimes it can be less responsive. Two hours later I still couldn't get a response so I plugged it in to charge. The Fitbit symbol came onto the screen followed by the low battery notice, so I assumed that was the issue. I don't wear it to bed so took it off the charger over night. The next morning it still wouldn't turn on, so I contacted support and they walked me through the restart. This seemed to work and the battery was flat again. I left it until it had charged to 100% and then put it on. By lunch time it was flat again, so I charged it to 100% again, put it back on and by 8pm it was flat again so I read the forums and turned off GPS, and also dimmed the screen, cancelled any notifications that weren't required and charged it again. I also did the restart process again. When I put picked it up this morning it was dead flat. I contacted support again who gave me a case number and apologised, pointed me to some help articles and that was it. That was at about 9.30am, my Fitbit was at 98% when I talked to her. It's now 3.40pm and it's back down to 20%. I only purchased it last Feb and has only been in the water a handful of times. It seems to me like the battery is failing. Before Friday I was getting 6 to 7 days out of it and that was with the GPS on, the screen light set at default and all my email and message notifications going to the device. What can I do now?

Best Answer

I’d suggest getting back onto support and requesting a replacement. It seems

the issue was bought on by the most recent software update, so even if you happen to be just out of warranty you would hope it would be replaced. 

Best Answer

Sane issue. Charge 5 worked well for around 13 months. Had a 1 year warranty only.

Tried all steps mentioned on the forum. Nothing worked. Highly disappointed with Fitbit for this. 

The battery that used to hold charge for around 7 to 8 days now drains it off completely in one to two hours. I don't know what to do. I am based in Dubai, UAE and my Fitbit charge 5 is out of warranty. 

Best Answer

I would still contact again and see if they’re prepared to assist. It seems a software update may have contributed, so you may get some recognition. And I’m fortunate that in Australia Fitbit are required to provide a 2 year warranty. 

Best Answer

Mine started this week, as well, and like the original poster, I purchased the tracker exactly a year ago. Up to this point, mine would go 8-10 days without needing to be charged. Now it will only last 2-3, and based on many of these replies, I suspect it will only get worse. Very disappointing. 

Best Answer

They refused to replace mine, quoting "Thanks for providing additional information. Unfortunately, your product doesn’t meet the replacement requirements of our warranty policy. For details about our warranty policy, see fitbit.com/ returns"

Did not work for me. Battery drained within 24 hours. What else can I do? 

Best Answer

Sad. Of they don't fix it via software update, I'm gonna throw mine in the bin on Feb 14th 2023 

Best Answer

Wow 2 years is a long life for any Fitbit product we have owned, going back to a Fitbit One!

My wife's Charge 5 went from 6 to 7 days to 16 hours tops.  It started when she started getting the issue where it is constantly telling you to add credit card info.

Best Answer

Same thing just happened with mine. Has been able to hold a charge for nearly a week and then literally overnight it just stopped working, fully charged then battery drained within half an hour.

Update: I also chatted with support as suggested by others and was issued a replacement. I suggest this path if anyone is still having this issue!

Best Answer

It is not offered to everyone.

Best Answer