Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 is unresponsive

My charge 5 is not responding anymore all of a sudden. I thought it was flat.  When I try to charge it the logo flashes sometimes but nothing happens. I tried the three press thing on the charger but that did nothing as well 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Welcome to the Fitbit community, @Tifi88!

Sad to hear that your Charge 5 isn't working as expected.
To me this looks like a  device that's deep discharged. As a first step to get it back to working order, please make sure that your device's charging contacts and the charging pins on it's charging are clean. Also the charging pins should be able to move a little bit.
To have a closer look on that, just follow this link:

How do I clean my Fitbit device? 

Next please try charging your device. If it is deep discharged, it might take longer until the charging process will start.
If it still isn't charging, I'd suggest checking this for troubleshooting:

Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging? 

If it won't charge at all, please try restarting your device as it sometimes takes several attempts to do so. You should pay special attention on the timing while following these instructions:

1.) Connect your Charge 5 to the charging cable which has to be connected to a reliable power source.
2.) Press the button located on the flat end of the charging cable 3 times within 8 seconds(!), holding each press for about 1 second(!).
3.) Wait around 10 seconds until the Fitbit logo appears on your device's display.

If that really won't work for you, please try if changing your device's clock face will get it back to working order. Here's how to do that:

How do I change the clock face on my Fitbit device? 

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Talahthas, Fitbit Community Council
Charge, Charge HR, Blaze, Versa, Versa 2, Charge 5, Versa 4, Aria, Aria 2, Pixel 4a, Pixel 7
Best Answer

Hi there, @Tifi88. Welcome to the Fitbit Community Forums. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and for the troubleshooting steps you've tried. I'm sorry to hear that your Charge 5 is still unresponsive. I will do my best to help you with this!

As per the description of your post, it could be a sign the contacts need cleaning. Dust and debris can accumulate over time. Clean the charging contacts on the back of your device and the pins on your charging cable using the instructions in How do I clean my Fitbit device?

In addition to that, 
please note that sometimes a Fitbit doesn’t seem to be charging when actually the issue is that it has become unresponsive (this can happen if the battery has been allowed to discharge completely). I'd recommend putting it on to charge on a charging wire and outlet known to be working.  Leave it on the charger for a good two hours, even if it doesn’t seem to be charging.  

When it has had two hours, try restarting your Charge 5. I would recommend trying this maybe twice in a row if a first try doesn’t work.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Marre, I take it you work for Fitbit? You know none of these “fixes” will work. Seems like a lot of people are having trouble with their charge 5. Fitbit will only offer a 50% discount on a new device. Why don’t you tell us what is going on and why this is suddenly happening? Will there be a firmware release to fix this? Not sure I ever want to own another Fitbit device again and I’ve had many Charge models going back to the first one.

Best Answer

I wonder how many malfunctioning Charge 5s suddenly have issues resolved by going through the various steps they suggest.  They should use their treasure trove of data to see if problems are permanently resolved or if this is just a way to avoid taking responsibility for poorly designed devices.

I was on a chat with Fitbit support earlier today and the person asked me to take a video of me restarting the fitbit.  When I refused they accused me of not actually having a device, even though they had me send a picture of the nonworking device.  It was very strange - told me to stop complaining and just do what they said.  I've had fitbits for many years but am now done with this company.  

Best Answer
0 Votes