Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering Exercise

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I frequently use a treadmill and I’m not certain the effect is being recorded properly. If I just walk I record the steps and heart data. If I use the start/stop on Charge 5 and look at the official treadmill reading when I finish walking the pace and distance are seriously off. I can’t seem to be able to edit pace or distance consistently. When I am able to alter the data it increases the steps to a questionable number.

Im trying to get the most from my device and be able to rely on the results. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@DanLL   Since you need to hold the rails for balance, try this.  Put your Fitbit in your sock with the heart rate sensor about an inch or two above your inside ankle bone.  Your step count will be more accurate and you might get a heart rate trace unless you have very poor circulation in your legs.  I think you will feel more accomplished with better numbers.  Above all, don't give up on trying to be active! 

Laurie | Maryland
Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@DanLL   A treadmill measures distance by the belt revolution.  A well maintained treadmill distance is considered pretty accurate.  Your Charge 5 uses a steps x stride length calculation for distance.  This is where reality sets in:

• Your arm must move freely for a wrist tracker to count steps
  • Your tracker will undercount steps if you hold on to the handrail with your Fitbit wrist (usually not count steps at all)
  • We change our stride length depending on walking speed and if you set the treadmill on an incline

Making sure that your arms move freely and that you don't hold the rails are two things that you can change to improve your accuracy.  My first Fitbit was a One, worn on your torso.  I saw the difference when I switched to a wrist tracker.  I personally don't try to micromanage treadmill stats.

Laurie | Maryland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Laurie. I guess I should quit trying to micromanage. In fact, I'm not at all sure why I even bother with the FitBit. I'm 72 with a multitude of orthopedic and balance problems, I have to hold onto the treadmill in order to use it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DanLL   Since you need to hold the rails for balance, try this.  Put your Fitbit in your sock with the heart rate sensor about an inch or two above your inside ankle bone.  Your step count will be more accurate and you might get a heart rate trace unless you have very poor circulation in your legs.  I think you will feel more accomplished with better numbers.  Above all, don't give up on trying to be active! 

Laurie | Maryland

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks once again Laurie. I’ll give your suggestion a try.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DanLL I totally agree with @LZeeW . Don't bother too much with treadmill stats. Even if you didn't hold on to bars you would find that distance and pace didn't match. It's normal. Even if you use sophisticated foot pod (little device attached to shoes) which is very accurate it will still not match what treadmill shows. When you are on treadmill judge level of your effort rather than stats. I would probably look more at HR (to match outdoor HR which would indicate similar level of effort) than steps and distance. When you move effort means more than number of steps or pace.

But the advice of moving the watch onto your ankle is pretty good if you want to get steps. It may not measure your HR (or may?) but sometimes we have to work with what we are given. You may also try to hold the bars with one hand and swing the other. That would work best but I don't know whether your condition would let you (only you know that 🙂). Don't get too frustrated too much with technology. It's there as a tool to help but it isn't perfect and user often must find own way of using it so it works for him.

Best Answer