Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Charge 5 battery problems since update

ANSWERED

How many of you are experiencing battery problems since the update?

Could anyone who's experienced problems with the charge 5 battery please post once on this thread so it's easy to count and present to show it's not a warranty problem and is a result if the update.

I obviously have battery problems. Had to charge it twice yesterday and uninstalled the SpO2 app to try to make the battery last through the night. Managed to wake up to 50% battery instead of it being dead by morning, even though fully charged before bed.

Moderator Edit: Formatting and clarified subject

Best Answer
201 REPLIES 201

Hendrik55, I'm seeing the same bizarre charge percentages you are, another indication that software is the problem.
It's hard to believe that Fitbit/Google is saying this has nothing to do with the recent software update, it has all the hallmarks of a software issue. In my case, regardless of the state of charge, and I have been charging every night since the update, my Charge 5 shuts off every day just past 5pm on those days that that I make all nine hours of 250 steps activity. When I restart it by plugging it in, it shows a charge of ~94%, every time. Unplugging it and plugging in again, the state of charge will then show 80 something percent, and at that point, it drifts all over the place in displaying its state of charge, until finally getting to 100%. ALL OF THIS started with the update. 100% a software issue - Google should admit it and fix it for us.
Many have already said it, and I feel the same way, I'm not buying another Fitbit product if this is how they treat their customers.

Moderator edit:  word choice

Best Answer

Hello,

I had Charge 5 in november 2021, so it is 27 month and I think out of warranty 😡

Problem began when the warranty ended....

I only can hope Google fix this... Or make an older firmware available.....

Best Answer

I’ve had my Charge 5 for less than a year and just recently began having charging issues. It goes dead within 18 hours of being fully charged now. I’ve reset and tried to troubleshoot but it continues to die prematurely. This is my 5th Fitbit and will be my last because it has proven to not be a good option anymore.

Best Answer

I experience the exact same issue!

Best Answer

My charge 5 has been draining quickly for a couple months to the point I'd have to charge it a couple times a day.  I turned off every thing I could think of, restarted it a million times and even did a factory reset.  Last night I had it charged to 100% put it on then went to bed and it was completely drained by the time I woke up.  This totally seems like it's update related since so many people have the same issue.

Best Answer

Adding this here.   Have 2 year old Charge 5 (old) and never had any battery issues, until Feb 25 or 26.   Had it charged to 100% before bed and when I got up to sync it, it wouldn't wake up.   I put it on the charger and it was at 7%.    I had another Charge 5 (new) that I was able to use and swapped out on the app.  It was at 54% but within 2 hours had dropped to 20%.

Last night I put both on the charger to 100% today the Charge 5 (old and not on the app) is at 95% after 15 hours, but the Charge 5 (new and on the app)  is down to 78%.   

It's better than yesterday when either one on the app drained to the single digit in less than a day.   

Update: end of day 24 hour tally:  

Charge 5 connected to app, charged to100%, now at 68% (app only opened on phone for 2 1/2 hours). 

Charge 5 not connect to app, charged to 100%, now at 93%

Best Answer
Just now, at nine active hours, got two vibrations then the watch went
black. Put it on the charger, it showed 94%, left it on for five minutes,
took it off and put it back on my wrist at 80%.

SOFTWARE ISSUE!
Best Answer

Battery draining as I watch it. Obviously a problem for everyone that the company must fix

Best Answer

Yes I have encountered issues since the update, but still no resolve in sight.

Best Answer

I have a brand new Charge 5 the battery barely lasts 24 hours 😡

Best Answer

Me too mate mine won’t stay on.

Best Answer

I have a new one on the way thanks to warranty. I'll let you know how well the battery goes. I think it is software related indeed.

Best Answer

When a new one shows the same battery drain, it is definitely a software(firmware) issue.

Best Answer

Battery started draining in the last couple months - used to last for 5-7 days and it dropped significantly, sometimes being a full charge before bed and then waking up to a low battery notice. But last night the screen was black. No notifications. Put it on the charger last night. My app says the battery is full but no screen. Doing the factory reset will bring up the blue logo but will not continue to an actual reset resulting in the fitbit starting. Found all of the articles online when looking for other solutions. 

Best Answer

Browsertab says "Solved" but this issue is definitely NOT solved jet!!!!!!!😡

Best Answer

How - mine lasts less than 12 hours

Best Answer

I upgrade my Charge 4 to the new Charge 5 a couple of years ago, doing so because my Charge 4 battery was only lasting a couple of days. Charge 5 was advertising a 7-day battery life, which seemed like enough reason to upgrade. When I got the Charge 5, though, I was sorely disappointed to see it go dead in less than a day. Fitbit recognized this problem, released a software update and suddenly my battery life was close to the advertised 7 days - it was awesome. Now, come December 2024, another software update get released and sends me back to those early days of battery disappointment. Did my hardware suddenly become better on its own 2 years ago, then revert back to its failed state on its own in December? Of course not. It only changed it functionality AFTER software updates.
Yeah, this problem is not "solved", it won't be until Google steps up to the plate and accepts some responsibility.

Best Answer

I have similar problem. My battery used to last about a week. But now it doesn't even last for a day and drained to less than 10% or 0% only a few hours since I charge to 100%. 

Best Answer

My Fitbit collapsing annoys me but what also galls me is my inability to contact anyone at Fitbit or Fitbit to communicate to acknowledge that there is a problem and they're going to do something about it.  Highly unimpressed by Fitbit (and Google who now own Fitbit) "Customer Services".  

Today my Charge 5 collapsed after about 7 hours from 100% charge.  I then charged it up for about 5 minutes and it started working again, telling me that the battery state was 90%.  Clearly there is a problem with the battery management system.

I'm very angry.

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem.  The owner's manual says that it takes a CR2025 button battery, but there's no instructions on how to change the battery.  I called customer support to find out how to do it, and all they did was send me a coupon for a discount on a new device!  My device is only 13 months old, bought it new on 1/27/23.  I think I'm through with Fitbit - if it only lasts one year, then all you can do is replace it, it is a piece of junk in my book.

Best Answer