Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app Update is terrible

The latest app update for my charge 5 is just awful. Not only is the layout impossible - not remotely intuitive or user friendly, all the data is off - it won’t log my sleep correctly anymore (usually says I slept 2 hours or no hours at all when I slept 7). Resting HR is messed up. 

I’ve worn Fitbit Charge for a few years and have had ever version since version 2. But if there’s not a fix soon, I’ll be tossing this thing and going to another brand altogether. This does absolutely nothing at all to meet my purpose in wearing it. Major QA fail this update! And major thumbs down on the design 

----

Seems like they didn’t both beta testing it at all before the release! I’ve
loved Fitbit for 5 years now and haven’t been tempted to look elsewhere but
I sure am now. My sleep and HR are all messed up too. And they’ve had
plenty of time to fix the glitch since the update - almost seems like this
is what it is going to be!

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

Totally agree. The user interface is not user friendly at all.  Having your steps refresh from 0 every time one opens the app is a terrible idea. Also they took away the ability to see what charge percentage the fit bit is when you pull down to sync. It’s all one color too. It’s terrible. 

Best Answer

Agree - I hate the 1 color and how I can no longer lay it out the way I like. Also it seems the sleep tracker and HR monitor are a little messed up. I wonder if they bothered to beta test it before release?! And what team approved all these “downgrades?” Seems like they weren’t in touch with what their customers like. 

Best Answer

Hello @Shelli- & @Saddlinup 

There was an announcement on 16 Oct 2023 that changes are coming to the Fitbit app, including adding % battery on the Today page. Click here to read the announcement: Updates coming to the Fitbit app 

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer

After ordering a Fitbit Charge 5 a few days ago, I installed the Fitbit app on my Android phone to get a preliminary look at its setup.

Today my Charge 5 arrived and almost immediately after taking it out of the box the app automatically started and recognized that I had a Charge 5 and started the pairing process which was completed quickly. So obviously the Fitbit app clearly knows that I have a Charge 5. Shortly thereafter I started a search for a better clock face. I quickly found the page where apps and clock faces are shown. In the search bar at the top I typed in "Charge 5" and did a search. The Fitbit app shows me 3 apps and 31 clock faces. However, after checking each one out, not a single one functions with the Charge 5. How can the app be so stupid to only show me apps and clock faces which are not compatible with my device?

Best Answer

Absolutely agree to that. Will not track sleep and if it does it’s 2 hours. Whatever they did with the last upgrade (which it’s technically a downgrade) is terrible. How can they not know this is an issue?

Best Answer

Hi @Shelli- - probably best to post in "The redesigned Fitbit app is rolling out!" topic in the appropriate iOS or Android app forums along with the other unhappy users where you will see more fully the issues.

Unfortunately it would seem likely you are stuck with this version officially. Though there may be some tweaks over time already mentioned there. This could take months to get this test version to anywhere near how the previous version was.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Awful isn’t it. Wouldn’t upload my walk the other day and for the run i’ve just finished it apparently doesn’t have enough data to tell me HR or cals. Never had this before.

Best Answer

I agree. It's a very un user friendly setup. Also, for some reason,  my battery is not lasting more than 12 hours- went from 48hrs to around 12hrs in 2 days!

Best Answer

Totally agree, it’s awful. Why did they change some thing that worked perfectly well?  The layout is not intuitive and I miss the battery level icon. I’m asking for an Apple Watch for Christmas….

Best Answer

As soon as the new app came my battery life dropped significantly.  Instead of lasting five or six days now it lasts about one.  I don't like the new layout, it's hard to read and not as intuitive as the former layout and I miss the battery charge %.  Stop tweaking, just go back to the former app!!!

Best Answer
Totally agree with that. I prefer the old format and definitely need to see
that battery percentage!
Best Answer
I have the same issue, my efficacy of the app is being compromised because
my phone needs charging every 24hrs max! Horrible, Horrible, horrible!
Best Answer

Thinking the same. I have problems syncing and my sleep tracking is a mess.

Best Answer

Totally agree. I shows my heart rate at 165 at a slow walk, when manually taken is 80. ECG won't read, and on the odd occurance it does, just shows a bunch of fuzzy lines and starts over. Worthless. I'm unable to change sleep hours. I scroll to the desired time, tap Set, and it comes up with some random time. Sleep log is totally incorrect. Trying to reset is ineffective. Same issues.  I thought it was because this is a lower end model, and was about to upgrade, but unless things change soon, I'm out.  

Best Answer

I agree, the app doesn't show you the battery percentage either which I find annoying because I can't read the text on the Fitbit itself because it's too small.

I really don't like the apps new layout, it's not as intuitive as the old version.

Best Answer

My Fitbit battery died again yesterday, I don’t seem to get the notifications that my battery is low and without a visible battery icon, I forget to charge it. It’s hopeless, so disappointed that they changed it.

Best Answer

Absolutely agree. I never bother to post on the community but this new update is just outrageous aweful. Seriously. I got so much frustration trying to use it realising how bad it is...do you even have UX designers? If so, give them a nudge and test the product upgrade (downgrade) before releasing it. I can number many reasons...

Starting with I'm not interested in my steps, how do I stop that data from being the only thing that you can see when you open the page? I only want to see energy burnt. 

Thanks

Best Answer

Hi @saramaespi - as mentioned earlier probably best to consult and post in "The redesigned Fitbit app is rolling out!" topic in the IOS or Android app forums.

For some reason there was no continuity of settings of the previous app and little compatibility with what was working before.

A start from scratch does not take into account users carefully adjusted settings and requirements. However if you stay a Fitbit user this might help start again, note there are many things currently not working correctly.

How to get the most out of the new Fitbit app

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally agree. I’m the last Fitbit holdout in a family of Apple Watch wearers - but now I’ll be joining them. The HR and sleep functions are alllll over the place since the roll out. I was startled to notice that my hr was at 125 sitting still, it certainly didn’t feel that high, so I used my pulse ox to confirm: nope, it was my normal 62! I’ve used a third party food tracker app the last two years that WAS entirely compatible, but now it only occasionally syncs. So much is wrong. I’m done!

Best Answer