Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kayaking app on Charge 5

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is the kayaking app ever going to make it to the Charge 5. Reading the comments I see it made it to two other Fitbit devices. What about the Charge 5?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @YakRat , there is a very easy way to log your Kayaking using your Charge 5, and no update is required!

To make sure your Charge 5 is properly set up for this, on your app, from the opening, Today, screen, tap on the picture icon/photo to take you to the account screen.  On the account screen tap on the Charge 5 picture and then scroll down to “Exercise shortcuts”.  Make sure that “outdoor workout” is among the shortcuts (you are allowed 6).  If the list is already full without outdoor workout you will need to delete one shortcut you do not use in order to add outdoor workout.  (tip: you can also drag and drop different shortcuts so that the ones you use most appear first on your Charge 5.)

If you have made any changes to your app (adding or deleting or reordering shortcuts) please be sure to sync your Charge 5.  

You’re all set up!  When you are ready to kayak, simply start an outdoor workout session from the exercise app on the Fitbit.  Depending on your settings your Fitbit will begin to connect to the built in GPS or your phone’s.  Now have fun!  Don’t forget at the end finish your workout session as usual.

When you sync your Fitbit the outdoor workout will appear in your app under the exercise tile.  There is just one more quick step.  Click on your outdoor workout and on iOS click categorize exercise or on Android click on the pencil icon.  Begin typing kayak in the search box and it should pop up.  Simply choose it - that’s all you have to do. 

Your kayaking workout will be saved on your activity list and you will be able to see all your stats, including a map of your route.

Please post again if anything is unclear.  Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi, @YakRat , there is a very easy way to log your Kayaking using your Charge 5, and no update is required!

To make sure your Charge 5 is properly set up for this, on your app, from the opening, Today, screen, tap on the picture icon/photo to take you to the account screen.  On the account screen tap on the Charge 5 picture and then scroll down to “Exercise shortcuts”.  Make sure that “outdoor workout” is among the shortcuts (you are allowed 6).  If the list is already full without outdoor workout you will need to delete one shortcut you do not use in order to add outdoor workout.  (tip: you can also drag and drop different shortcuts so that the ones you use most appear first on your Charge 5.)

If you have made any changes to your app (adding or deleting or reordering shortcuts) please be sure to sync your Charge 5.  

You’re all set up!  When you are ready to kayak, simply start an outdoor workout session from the exercise app on the Fitbit.  Depending on your settings your Fitbit will begin to connect to the built in GPS or your phone’s.  Now have fun!  Don’t forget at the end finish your workout session as usual.

When you sync your Fitbit the outdoor workout will appear in your app under the exercise tile.  There is just one more quick step.  Click on your outdoor workout and on iOS click categorize exercise or on Android click on the pencil icon.  Begin typing kayak in the search box and it should pop up.  Simply choose it - that’s all you have to do. 

Your kayaking workout will be saved on your activity list and you will be able to see all your stats, including a map of your route.

Please post again if anything is unclear.  Welcome to the forums!

Best Answer
Thank you Julia_G. I did the setup on the app, and 'outdoor exercise' now
shows up on my Charge 5. Now I have a paddle in two days, so I'll give it a
test to see what activities are recorded. Only one thing I need to verify
with you, and that is the 'one more quick step'. I am assuming that is done
at the end of my kayaking, is that correct?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@YakRat , the last step is simply to edit your activity to change it from “outdoor workout” to “kayaking”.  I hope that’s clearer now.

Best Answer

Thanks again for the tip.

OK, finally got back on the water yesterday and paddled with the Outdoor Workout app enabled. At the end of my trip I changed the category to Kayaking. All well and good. But later I went back to look again, and the category reverted to outdoor workout. Didn't see a way to save this change to make it permanent. Is that not possible? And I was looking for more kayak specific stats, but only showed the usual stats for speed, heart rate, zone minutes etc. Nevertheless,  I will continue to use the Outdoor Workout app until such time that a kayak specific app is available on the Charge 5.

Thank you ever so much for helping me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @YakRat , I’m glad you have got it mostly working for you.  I am not seeing the reverting back to original name after changing, so please do post again if that keeps happening to you, so someone can investigate.this further.

Best Answer
0 Votes