Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My itchy band solution 💯

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Well, even though I’m meticulous about keeping my Charge 5 infinity silicone band clean (by rinsing the band and wiping with a microfiber cloth; occasionally using dawn dish detergent) my band became such an irritant that I was unable to use my Charge 5 (even for a few hoursafter not wearing it for over 2 weeks)!  I tried the fabric hook & loop band but it was unfortunately too small for my wrist. 

So here is what I did:

1. In hot soapy (Dawn) water I soaked the band (not the charge 5 itself) for 15 minutes
  2. Rinsed the soap off thoroughly
  3. Next I made a baking soda paste (not baking powder) with just a little bit of cold water
  4. Using a toothbrush, I applied the paste to the band and in small swirling motions brushed both sides of the band with the toothbrush. 
  5. Leaving the baking soda paste on the band, I placed the band in a small bowl filled with regular strength white vinegar. Do this in your sink as it will bubbly aggressively which will enhance cleaning the band. 
  6. When bubbling has subsided, rinse band in cold water and wipe well with a clean, dry microfiber cloth. Walla, the band should been once again useable provided you have let the rash on your wrist heal. I find Witch Hazel to be a good way to relieve rashes. 

I plan to use the following cleaning method when needed; meaning rinsing with water and wiping with a microfiber no longer is working.

Hopefully this helpful to those experiencing this issue. Use at your own discretion. As what works for me, may not work for you or be recommended by Fitbit. 

Splat Matt
Want to be a fitbit power user? More Info
Not getting notifications on your fitbit? Help Here

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

See Wear and Care @SplatMatt 

BTW most skin irritation comes from the band being to tight, trapped sweat, and the resulting build up of bad bacteria. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank-you for sharing @Rich_Laue, I am aware of the root cause of contact dermatitis and the link regarding wear & care instructions, but what I outlined is what worked which is why I shared my experience. 

Splat Matt
Want to be a fitbit power user? More Info
Not getting notifications on your fitbit? Help Here

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank-you for providing a possible solution. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It never ceases to amaze me how the device straps are not fit for purpose. I have had three different Fitbits over the years and all have ended up w/ broken straps (replaced free of charge) and/or causing an itchy rash. The only solution Customer Support gives is to “take it off occasionally” when the very purpose of the device is to be worn continuously to monitor usage, step count, heart rate etc. So there is obviously an allergen in the strap material, which reacts w/ sweat and causes a rash. Witch Hazel does help alright but I also apply Vaseline as a skin barrier. Do better, Fitbit! 

Best Answer
0 Votes