Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 6 keeps saying Download Fitbit app

ANSWERED

I'm trying to start my new fitbit charge 6. I downloaded the app. The Fitbit is linked to the app. The Fitbit keeps saying: download the Fitbit mobile app.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I  'accidentally' resolved my issue

• On the phone app, in the top left corner I tapped the little phone/watch Icon
  • On the next screen that shows the watch and the phone, I tapped on the watch picture.
  • I think it was the next screen that showed me a message about updating . . . when I clicked update, the phone app and the watch screen both started showing a status bar, as (I'm assuming} the app on the watch was updating.
  • When the update was done, the watch screen went dark, and the phone screen said done.
  • Now, I can press the button on the watch and see the expected screens.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

Yes me too!! Not sure where to go from here!!!

Best Answer

Welcome to the community forums, @Faizah69 and @NantyNoi.

Thanks for letting us know about your Charge 6, and your efforts on this. Because your post didn't mention, may I know if you've followed the steps described here? If not, please give it a try as this has helped other members.

Make sure to force quit the Fitbit app and reboot your phone before trying to set up your Charge 6 again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue.  Watch display "Download the Fitbit Mobil App" followed by another icon indicating a down arrow.

No button presses or watch face swipes change anything.

Frustrating

Best Answer

I had similar frustrating problem for a few hours yesterday. The solution was to connect the charger and then press on the small button on the charger 3 times with 1 or 2 second delay between each press. This 'rebooted' the watch and allowed it to connect to the phone and download the app. 

Best Answer

Mine won't even " reboot"

Best Answer

Does your Charge 6 show as connected in the app? Does it look like that it is syncing? I have had both in the past, with the watch still telling me to download app. 

My solution was to remove the watch from the app and Bluetooth. Then do a setup. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine did the same thing. I had to go into my phone and "forget" all other fitbit devices. Once I did that, I was able to connect to the tracker. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have no other Fitbit Devices, and I am holding brick at this point.  

I have followed every recommendation I have been given without any luck.  I think Fitbit knows about the issue and isn't saying anything at this time.  I have the new Charge 6, it continues to show the download fitbit app.  I cannot reboot the device, or anything else.  I have pressing the button as suggested, turned off BT, turned it back on, forced stopped the app, cleared cache and memory, rebooted the phone, and nothing.  I have tried contacting Fitbit support, and have been ignored.  If this is not working in 10 hours, I am sending it back.  This is a huge disappointment.  My Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 is more than 4 years old and has NEVER had any issues, and gets 3-4 days still on a single charge.  

Best Answer

Please help.  Have tried everything.  Sync works.  Steps are counting.  Wrist device says download app

Best Answer

I  'accidentally' resolved my issue

• On the phone app, in the top left corner I tapped the little phone/watch Icon
  • On the next screen that shows the watch and the phone, I tapped on the watch picture.
  • I think it was the next screen that showed me a message about updating . . . when I clicked update, the phone app and the watch screen both started showing a status bar, as (I'm assuming} the app on the watch was updating.
  • When the update was done, the watch screen went dark, and the phone screen said done.
  • Now, I can press the button on the watch and see the expected screens.
Best Answer

Same here.

I tried almost every option to pair my Fitbit Charge 6 in these two days, but none worked.

Force quit the app, power cycle, and reset the Fitbit do not help.

Best Answer

Same here. Watch is stuck at pairing step. After entering the pairing code, nothing happens.

Tried all the steps mentioned in help section. Support has asked me to send back. I am thinking of returning to store.

Best Answer

Phone Pixel 4a, Android version 13

I hope this helps someone. It seems that plugging my Fitbit into my laptop solved the issue. Yesterday and this morning, I spent a couple of hours trying to get past the message "Download the Fitbit app." 

- I just plugged the USB for the Charge 6 into my Dell laptop.

-The screen finally changed to show the time and battery percentage.

- I opened the Fitbit app. Now, I am able to go through the steps to pair my Fitbit.

- It is going through downloading and updating the Charge 6 software.

- Now it is installing the software. 

- I just got the message on my Fitbit app: "Charge 6 is updated". 

- Hit continue - Try it on - Hit next - Press the button on Fitbit to wake - Hit next -  and continue through the screens for features. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update.  My Charge 6 setup issue is resolved.  I tried a few steps. One worked.

I Uninstalled and reinstalled the Fitbit App from my Android phone.  (I have had the App for years for my Charge 4)   This had no effect to resolve.

I then deleted the Charge 6 watch from the App even though the App did indicate it was syncing

I went though the setup/pairing process once again...entering the 4 digit code, etc. and the issue cleared.

The only thing I can assume is that the initial setup process "partially" failed although I dont recall anything unusual indicating.

Good luck to all.  Hope this helps someone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In addition to the bits in the 'Best Answer,'  I also found the following as part of my fix.

• Disconnected from my WiFi (I have PiHole for DNS blocking many Advertising sites, maybe something related to Fitbit is blocked)
  • I was using my wife's Lux charger, switched to my new charger, and pressed the button 3 times slowly... watch restarted and everything synced, updated, and worked as expected.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you move your Fitbit account to Google? This seems to be causing problems with device pairing.

Best Answer

Because I've never had a Fitbit account before, I had no choice but to use my Gmail account 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just resolved myself with new charge 6, kept saying "download the fitbit app", called c/s they had me attached unit to charger and while plugged in, press the black button (at the base of the USB, it's hidden since everything is black); pressed it three times in succession. The fitbit icon then appeared on the watch, so good to go.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the exact same problem "Download the Fitbit App" over and over again, so, I just deleted the Fitbit App from my iPhone and reinstalled it. Then told it to set up a new device. It found it right away and walked me through the steps to complete setup. It is now downloading an update to the Charge 6. This was so ridiculously simple and I am totally pissed off that I have been screwing around with this for over 4 hours. It should have said "Delete and reinstall the Fitbit App on your phone". 

Delete and reload the Fitbit App on your phone. I had the same stupid problem. Fresh install worked perfectly.

Sounds like the last 4 hours of my day. I did all the same things and then, out of frustration, deleted the Fitbit App from my phone and reinstalled it. Setup went perfectly.

Best Answer