Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Mixed Nuts Compatible with a Calorie Budget (For Weight Loss)

ANSWERED

All,

I've been doing really well with tracking calorie intake in regards to my budget, but I'm really struggling with mixed nuts!  I just don't understand how they can be compatible with the budget.  In other words, I don't feel they should be included in the budget.  Or, at least there's more to it than meets the eye.

For example, I just downed 105g of mixed nuts for an afternoon snack.  According to the label, that's 607 calories!  Slightly more calories than a McDonald's Big Mac.

Doing some initial research, it appears that nuts are a very healthy snack and don't attribute to weight gain:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nuts-and-weight-loss

It also sounds like the body only absorbs so much:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Eat-Well/Do-you-weigh-your-nuts/td-p/1213109

Even still, let's say 70% absorbed on average for mixed nuts.  That's about 425 calories based on my original 607 calorie count.  Not that far off from a Cinnabon MiniBon Roll at 380 calories.

To the point, I'm a little confused as to if I should or shouldn't be counting calories from a snack of mixed nuts.  Is there anybody here who would suggest not counting nut calories towards the calorie budget?  How should I approach this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes they should count toward your total Calories.  Nuts can be good for a diet, but they have to be the right nut. Almonds, cashews, Pistachios, walnuts, and brazil nuts are the best for a diet. Unfortunately mixed nuts also contain Peanuts and Pecans. And 105grams is like 5 times the serving size of most nuts. I would cut back on your portion size and switch to a better nut. I eat a 17.5 gram bag of Cashews and it is only 100 calories and it does satisfy me.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Yes they should count toward your total Calories.  Nuts can be good for a diet, but they have to be the right nut. Almonds, cashews, Pistachios, walnuts, and brazil nuts are the best for a diet. Unfortunately mixed nuts also contain Peanuts and Pecans. And 105grams is like 5 times the serving size of most nuts. I would cut back on your portion size and switch to a better nut. I eat a 17.5 gram bag of Cashews and it is only 100 calories and it does satisfy me.

Best Answer

Yes, of course you count the calories.  

As you’ve noticed they can add up quickly, so you’ve got to watch the amounts.  But 15 - 30 grams for 100-200 cal can really round out and make satisfying a salad or oatmeal or yogurt and be the difference in making one meal last to the next.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

CVS has a great nut mix that's just almonds, pistachios, and cashews. It is my favorite nut mix. I sometimes eat a handful of that with a few dried apricots as a midmorning snack.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I stopped eating nuts when i started dieting as they are too high calorie and i can't control myself as i love them too much.Same as peanut butter .It has way too many calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes