Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are any of you guys vegan? Do you have any tips for me since I am a new vegan?

So I became vegan for a variety of reasons and am having fun with it thus far, however it is proving to be a bit difficult. Any tips or suggestions? Thank you!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
18 REPLIES 18

Hi Danar! I have found that knowing where to look for ideas makes incorporating vegan meals into my diet so much easier! My go-to websites for vegan recipes or just general tips for healthy and simple vegan dining are the following: 

1. http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com

2. http://www.veggieful.com

3.http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/category/favorites

They are far more comprehensive and valuable than anything I might ramble on about. Smiley Wink I hope you find them useful. 

Best Answer

Make sure you are getting enough protein, iron and B12 or energy levels can drop. Leafy greens are your friend.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Vegetables have protein in them but you have to eat more than you might be used to.  I follow Dr. Joel Fuhrman's plan.  If you are trying to lose weight, suggest reading his book Eat to Live.  If you join his member area on-line, you get recipes e-mailed to you daily.  Some of them are quite good.  This is a good formula for fast weight loss:

1 Pound of raw vegetables a day

1 Pound of cooked vegetables a day

At least 1 cup of beans

At least 4 fruits

1-2 oz of seeds and nuts (do not snack on them, eat them combined with meals for better absorbability).  Walnuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and flax seeds are all good sources of Omega 3's which you need.

You will have to take a B12 supplement and should get your B12 tested periodically to make sure it is high enough.  

Best Answer

There are vegan protein powders on the market but dont forget about grains. Quinoa is a a great source of vegan protein and can be eaten at any meal. I have had it for breakfast before. It has 8 grams of protein per 1 cooked cup thats a great start to the day.  And remember protein needs are calculated by body weight not % of caloric intake. .8g per kg of weight.

So someone 160 lbs / 2.2 = 72.7kg.   72.7 x 0.8= 58 grams of protein per day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What I  noticed right off was that without meat in my diet, my diet is naturally low in fat and cholesterol. I eat an ounce of peanuts every day. That give me protein and a bit of good fat. I've upped veggies in a big way, especially greens, as they also have protein. I don't find my diet low in protein, as breakfast cereals also have protein. Almond, Hemp, and Flax milk also have some protein along with other nutrients.

Dana
Best Answer

With what exactly are you having difficulty?  I have been a vegetarian for 30 years and "practically" vegan on and off for many of those years.  I'm back to "almost" vegan but I find it difficult to enjoy my morning latte with almond milk (which I have found to be the best milk replacement for my taste).  

Best Answer
0 Votes

you don't say what you are having difficulty with...

Inga
Best Answer
0 Votes

Creamer is hard to replece, I make my own with 2 cups almond milk, 1/4 cup coconut milk and 2 tsp arrowroot powder, heat it until it starts to thicken then you can add flavors. Its a good substitute, not quite the same.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have you tried oat milk? I cannot taste the difference but then again I have been dairy free for some time now 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oak milk is thicker and higher in calorie than almost, cashew, flax, hemp, or rice milk. I use all of them on my morning cereal. I don't drink it, but my grandkids liked the chocolate flavored almond milk.

Dana
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't really use milks. I use a couple of tablespoons of cereals on my fruit as a treat occasionally but I try not to replace the standard american diet with vegan versions of same. 

I stick to fruits and vegetables the majority of the time. It is way easier to keep my weight low and my energy high this way. 

Inga
Best Answer
0 Votes

The nut and seed milks are really good for you. Besides having calcium and vitamin D, flax has the Omega 3s that we need, and hemp milk has all kinds of nutrients. They are also low calorie, just 30-45 per cup. I rotate the milks I use on my cereals because they are nutriticious.  Smiley Happy I also use them when making mashed potatoes, other other foods that call for milk. I don't use dairy.

Dana
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Danar,
I've been vegan for 3 years and love sharing what has/hasn't worked for me! Sorry if you already know a lot of what I tell you, I'm not sure how long you've been vegan for/how familiar you are with vegan staples, so my apologies if it comes across as a bit condescending 🙂 I must also add that I am not a dietitian, and all information I present is what I have discovered through my own research and through my medical studies.

I went vegan for ethical/environmental reasons, but gradually began to learn more about how to optimise a vegan diet to be as nutritionally complete as possible. I found that initially it was very easy to fall into the trap of meat substitutes and soy cheese...however, you'll want to avoid these as much as possible as they are highly processed, terrible for you healthwise and sometimes contain a lot of palm or vegetable oil, which is an environmental disaster.

If you're missing meat, the things that i find tastiest are tempeh and mushrooms. Tempeh is made of fermented soy beans, and is delicious fried and added to stir fries (or in satay sauce). Mushrooms are great because they have a very meaty texture, and are also one of the few vegan sources of vitamin B12 (i'll get to that later).

In terms of soy-products, try not to overdo it. You might have heard that there is some discussion over whether the phyto-oestrogens in soy have an oestrogenic affect in humans, though my understanding of this is that humans are quite good at tolerating phyto-oestrogens, and so this is not something to be worried about. However, many soy products are highly processed, and soy is quite allergenic - my personal view is to avoid GM soy where possible, and try and limit tofu to a couple of times a week (i.e. don't eat it at every meal), especially if you're drinking a lot of soy milk. I have heard that the healthiest way to eat soy is via tempeh or edamame (green soy beans), so that's also something to consider.

In terms of nutritional balance, there are a few macro and micronutrients that are important to be aware of:

1. Protein

2. Vitamin B12

3. Calcium

4. Iron

Protein is not as big a deal as omnivores like to make out...FitBit will help you track how much protein you are consuming, but best vegan sources of protein are your legumes. Beans are incredibly versatile and can be added to many different dishes, or can be turned into a bean side salad. One of my favourite recipes is mexican quinoa salad with kidney beans...quinoa is another good source of protein that i recommend you try out.

Vitamin B12 is the hardest nutrient to get through a vegan diet. Although mushrooms have trace amounts of B12, unfortunately it is impossible to get enough B12 through a vegan diet alone, and so you will have to supplement. B12 takes a few years for stores to deplete, and the easiest way to supplement once you are low is through a round of injections as it is not very well absorbed orally. Many soy milks and other products (such as the fake meats) are fortified with B12, but like I said before, the amount you actually absorb is most likely far less than the amount these foods contain. The recommended daily intake of B12 is 2 micrograms...a round of B12 injections will set you up for a few years, but there is evidence to suggest that 1000 microgram sublingual B12 tablets/sprays are equally as effective as injections. This is what I use at the moment, and my B12 stores are fine. Be careful when supplement shopping though, as some B12 supplements come from an animal source, so it's worth looking around for one that is vegan friendly!

Calcium can also be quite hard to obtain through a vegan diet, but it is possible. Some good sources include cruciferous vegetables (such as broccolli and kale), almonds, fortified non-dairy milks and tofu. Tofu has quite a bit of calcium as in most cases it is actually set with a calcium containing compound, and as a result is probably one of the best calcium sources per unit mass. Calcium's main function in the body is to promote good bone density...as a result, you can 'aid' calcium's function through regular weight bearing physical activity and daily sun exposure. Despite this, I personally choose to take calcium supplements because I'm paranoid about osteoporosis...they're cheap, readily available and well tolerated. In addition, you may want to consider a vitamin D supplement to further promote calcium absorption, and also because everyone's vitamin D deficient these days so it doesn't hurt to supplement that.

For good vegan sources of iron, think your beans (again) and spinach. There are two forms of iron that humans consume...heme iron (from meat) and elemental iron, which is the iron found in vegetables. unfortunately, heme iron is absorbed better than elemental iron, however there are things we can do to help our iron absorption. Iron absorption increases 4 times when it is taken with vitamin C, so if you cook a bean curry or eat spinach, it's not a bad idea to eat your meal with a glass of orange juice or add some tomatos to what you are cooking. Iron deficiency affects women way more commonly than men, and causes anaemia with the consequent symptoms of fatigue, so it's good to be aware of it.

I know that was really long, but I'm very passionate about my veganism (and about making my diet as healthy as possible). Remember that a diet of coke and potato chips is technically "vegan", so veganism is not automatically synonymous with healthy...but if you make your diet mostly plant-based, you will get the majority of the vitamins and minerals we need (except for the ones that I mentioed above). Veganism forces you to pay more attention to what you are eating, but it is well worth it in the end.

Oh also if you'd like to talk more about veganism, feel free to add me as a friend! i'm new here and quite lonely haha

Best Answer

Thank you for that information! It was helpful to me as well. I use plant milks on my morning cerereal for B12, Calcium, and D, but nice to know about these other options.

Dana
Best Answer
0 Votes

Former vegan here. Still vegetarian and I eat quite a few vegan meals.

I found the hardest part was getting enough fat, my intake was dangerously low quite often.

Although some other nutrients to watch for are calcium, b12, and protien.

I would honest invest in some quality cookbooks. I know a lot of people don't use them anymore, but my best vegan cooking comes from them.

I like How it all Vegan(although I find the women who wrote it quite irritating) as a good start and a solid introduction to the details of veganism

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you suggest other protein vegan options.  I'm notcing only a 9% protein ratio in my present food log.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

9% is fine. Unless you are breastfeeding or trying to heal some temporary illness, the World Health Organization does not recommend more than 10% protein. 

Inga
Best Answer
Oh! That's a relief! I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!
Best Answer
0 Votes