Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheat Belly Diet

Anybody working with the wheat belly diet?

Best Answer
0 Votes
50 REPLIES 50

I have been using the Wheat Belly Diet for a few weeks. It is quite a change in thinking. There are actually withdrawl effects. For me they lasted about 3 or 4 days. I reverted / slipped about 2 weeks back, but noticed a change that I didn't like so I am convinced that this is a positive change.

Best Answer

I found it quite a change too in thinking and practices around eating and cooking.  I've been on it for two weeks after my wife initiated it for herself.   I decided to try it seriously after the first week and do the shopping and cooking. I've been using the cook books put out by the author and been having fun with the cooking.  I didn't realize what a change not eating anything with wheat in it would be.  I'm feeling this as a postive change too for myself.

Best Answer

while i don't specifically follow the wheat belly diet, i've been grain free (wheat, rice corn etc) and sugar free for 7 months.  this is seriously the best i've ever felt.  and the weight just fell off without me having to increase activity level.  of course now that i'm closer to my target weight, the weight loss has slowed down.  but, i expected this and have added free weights and the stationary bike.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

That's great! Have you explored any wheat free baking? I've explored some focaccia's and non-wheat breads using almond meal, ground flax, garbanzo bean flour, etc and stevia as a sweetener. That's interesting about the natural weight loss that comes from eating wheat free.  Did you notice less of feeling hungry as well?

Best Answer
0 Votes

i've started to do some wheat free alternatives in the past couple weeks.  when i first started wheat-free, i just stayed away from the alternatives.  i kind of saw them as a slippery slope that might lead back to wheat-laden food.  i wanted to give myself a chance to get fully committed to wheat free.  now, i've made almond flour waffles and they were awesome!  i've also made some almond flour sugar cookies (using splenda instead of sugar).  i still don't want to go and bake of bunch of sweet things (even though I use splenda) because i still think they might lead to more sugar cravings.  but, i've noticed my cravings go more towards savory foods now anyway.  for instance, i've got kalua pork in the slow cooker at home for dinner and my mouth is watering just thinking about it.  (3-4 lb pork shoulder, 1 Tbsp liquid smoke, 1 Tbsp sea salt, cook for 8-10 hours on low).

and i definitely notice feeling less hungry.  i'm guessing it's due to the lack of wild swings in blood sugar.  before this, i'd eat 2 bowls of "heart healthy" cereal and then be ravenously hungry 2 hours later.  now, most mornings, i'll just have my coffee (heavy cream, butter and coconut oil in it) and that's enough to get me to lunch.  even by lunch though, i'm not starving or anything.

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

I'm the same regarding following the actual wheat belly diet. I like to keep things simple. I haven't spent alot of time looking for new recipes. I substitue non grain products where possible. (except my morning porridge). I read ingredients and don't eat anything prepared. If it contains anything resembling wheat or derivitive, I don't use it. I have a problem with sugar which needs to go. This is my next item gone......but we'll see how long it takes to overcome.  I am making my minestrone soup today. The only product in it I will need to substitue in the pasta. Wheat belly recommends shiritaki noodles which I haven't been able to find, so I many omit the pasta, or maybe I'll put some lentils in it. Have a great day! More seasonal tomorrow to get out and walk!

Best Answer
Your morning meal intrigues me. butter? coconut milk? heavy cream? Care to share the reasoning?
Best Answer

That's a good idea for the ministrone. I found the tofu shirataki noodes and the original shiritaki with Konnyaku root at Whole Foods.  You can order them on line.  We tried the tofu shirataki noodles with homemade Thai soup and homemade spagetti sauce and they were great. We used the tofu shirataki noodles in a light stir fry with vegies and that was good too.   I've used  the orginal shiritaki noodles with sukiyaki.  I believe the texture will be a bit different than the tofu ones.   Lentils or shirataki noodles sounds great for the soup. 

Best Answer

That's great info on the noodles! Thanks. Whole Foods is a Grocery Store? If so there aren't in my area on Ont. On line works too though. Do they taste somewhat like noodles?

Best Answer
0 Votes

it's also referred to as "bulletproof coffee".  here's where it started:

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

i don't buy any of the stuff he sells though.  i just use my normal coffee.  

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

O.K. I am mildly optimistic. I have been on wheatbelly for about a month. I had a slip about 2 weeks ago for 1 day. I measured my waist this morning (Monday). 1 inch GONE! Wheat Belly / Fitbit. Could this finally be the recipe I have been searching for? We'll see. It's certainly a motivator.

Best Answer

Congratulations on your successes.    I started the fitbit last June and it really worked for me, especially the bringing together of exercise, food, and sleeping. Now that I've started eating wheat free I've been feeling even better, though I've just been on it for 2 weeks.  Hope you continue to have successes with both!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Jordie - You can get the Shiratake Noodles on Amazon - I see them marketed under the name " Miracle Noodles".  IMO - No, they do not taste or act like pasta. You really have to look at them as noodles - nothing more.  I have used them in spaghetti, but my faviroite is to replace rice in my Asian dishes with these.  

Carl- Could not agree more!  Bulletproof coffee is great and I also use my own.  I did make the mistake of NOT putting it in my magic bullet - and it was gross.  All that oil floating on top -- ha ha ha .

Goals: Low Carb, high fat, 70-20-10 .... lose 20 pounds by 6/2017
Best Answer
0 Votes

Coffee with butter and coconut oil?  What does this do ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

saw the above post thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fats in the coffee are supposed to help stave off hunger until the next meal.   If you actually try to blend it into a "latte" type concoction - it is super creamy and frothy. I personally feel its a homemade version of  the foo-foo coffee you pay over $5 for at the fancy coffee houses. 

Coconut oil has a lot of great health properties; some say its one of the best oils to use in cooking, baking, etc.  

Its also another way for those of us on low carb diets to get more fat into our day without eating chunks of butter. 

Goals: Low Carb, high fat, 70-20-10 .... lose 20 pounds by 6/2017
Best Answer

@LCHFmom wrote:

The fats in the coffee are supposed to help stave off hunger until the next meal.   If you actually try to blend it into a "latte" type concoction - it is super creamy and frothy. I personally feel its a homemade version of  the foo-foo coffee you pay over $5 for at the fancy coffee houses. 

Coconut oil has a lot of great health properties; some say its one of the best oils to use in cooking, baking, etc.  

Its also another way for those of us on low carb diets to get more fat into our day without eating chunks of butter

though there's nothing wrong with eating chunks of butter on occassion.  Smiley Happy  i've also discovered that starbucks will make a latte for you using heavy whipping cream instead of milk if you ask.  sugar-free vanilla latte with heavy whipping cream.

i just wish i could order it by saying "sugar-free vanilla fatty latte, please".

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer
0 Votes

And you have achieved weight losss?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jordie wrote:

And you have achieved weight losss?

yes.  80lbs over the last 7.5 months.  the key is, if you're going to eat high fat, you MUST eat low carb.  

but understand, i don't sit here eating chunks of butter and sipping venti lattes made with heavy cream every day.  if you eat too much fat, you body will use the dietary fat instead of your stored fat for energy.  the lattes are occassional treats (mayb 2-3 per month).  the majority of the time, my breakfast is the bulletproof coffee.  here's an example menu from today:

breakfast - bulletproof coffee (i call me version butter coffee)

lunch - 3 egg omelette with cheddar cheese and 3oz of chorizo served with sour cream and pickled jalapenos

snack - mixed nuts

dinner - 6-8oz steak with a pat (or 2) of butter on top and a couple handfuls of raw spinach drizzled with olive oil

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer
0 Votes