Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!! I'm always hungry

I've been doing really well, this past month.  Down 15lbs!!  I've been experiencing old habits of always being hungry the last few days.  Concerned I'm going to gain back, what I fought so hard to lose.  Any words of encouragement would be helpful.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
22 REPLIES 22

Hi @Alxx714 Congrats on your weight loss! Likely you aren't truly hungry, your old habits are trying to reengage. Recognizing when you are truly hungry is key to successful weight loss. Once you can recognize when you are really hungry, you need to honor your hunger and only eat then. This of it like this -- When you drive your car, do you stop to fill up your gas take when it's down 1/8 of a tank? No. Do you stop to fill up when it's down 1/2 tank, maybe, but probably not. You likely don't stop until you are down to your last 1/8 of a tank, meaning you are nearly on empty. Treat your stomach the same why. I find this exercise to be helpful to start to really understand when I am hungry. When you think you are down to your last bit of fuel, then ask yourself, are you hungry enough (pick a vegetable you don't like very much) to eat XX. If the answer is yes, then you truly are hungry. I think this idea helps you, if even just to make you think differently.

Best of luck on your journey to a healthier lifestyle.   

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
Thank you for the insight.  I will try your method tomorrow.  I thought is was bad habits rearing it's ugly head, and you just confirmed it.  Thanks!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

wrote:

I've been doing really well, this past month.  Down 15lbs!!

@Alxx714: did you lose those 15 lbs in one month time? If so, no wonder you’re being hungry. If not, for how long have you been restricting your calories? Being hungry when in a caloric deficit is normal and can be mitigated by the kind of foods you are eating, but your deficit (and thus rate of weight loss) should be reasonable / sustainable. 

I’d suggest you watch the Losing All Your Weight At Once video by Dr. Mike Israetel for strategies you may want to consider for your weight loss.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

It's not that you are hungry and eating, but what you choose to eat - If you have a tablespoon of peanut butter and an apple, are you still hungry?  take a short walk and see how you feel, add a glass of water.

If you are eating chips because you are hungry, yes the weight can come back.  If you choose to eat more, make great choices!  I try to tell myself - if you are hungry, how about some carrots?  No?  Maybe you're not hungry.  So what are you really feeling?  Bored? Lonely? What can solve that problem? Calling a friend?  Starting a project? Cleaning a drawer?  Instead of ignoring hunger, talk to yourself about it.  have some plans for healthy food and mindful eating.

Best Answer

Thank you so much for the video.  It makes total sense.  We live in a world of instant gratification, sometimes it's hard to slow down and do it right.  Thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the reminder.  Great advice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem. I'm not only trying to continue my weight loss (13lbs down so far), I'm also working on lowering my cholestrol....Even worse, I'm a picky eater, so I don't care for some of the foods that are good for me!   

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am down 14 pounds so far and I find myself as well feeling hungry a lot of the time. I was told to have very small snacks throughout the day so maybe instead of eating big meals during the little day have small snacks throughout. I hope this helps! 

Best Answer

Eat an apple, that’s really filling. Or some hummus and veges or rice crackers, very low cal. 

Best Answer

Agree with the apple, but rice cracks are not a good choice. They can create a spike in your blood sugar, which results in a crash and more hunger. Think less processed, more nature whole foods. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

When I think I am hungry I have a glass of water first and then wait 15 mins as sometimes that helps.

I find that I can easily drink less water than I should especially when I am working so sometimes when I "think" that I am hungry I am occasionally just thirsty.

If that doesn't work and I actually am hungry then I have some celery, radish or carrot sticks with a little homemade chick pea hummus as I find that quite filling.

I keep a few hard boiled eggs, zero fat greek yogurt and homemade low calorie vegetable soup in the fridge which I can microwave in just a few minutes if the munchies attack.

Personally, I find that eating a good balanced diet of 3 main meals of nutritious food with a good amount of fibre in it means that I don't get too hungry between meals.

Lots of fresh vegetables, some fruits and whole grains, pulses and legumes etc

This works for me so that I am satisfied after I have eaten and can avoid snacking until my next main meal.

Hope that helps

Sky

Best Answer
0 Votes

How much protein are you eating a day?  I find that as long as I eat at least 50g of protein a day, I stay full for several hours at a time.  

Best Answer

Dear @Alxx714,

You have achieved quite a lot in a month.  It's not normal to feel hungry after such a magnificent weight loss. You must consume more proteins to stay satiated. i would suggest to have scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, cottage cheese to feel satiated for a few hours. A bowl of oats with fresh fruits in the morning can keep you full for a few hours. You can add bit of spices like turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon to help you keep on your weight loss track.

Hope you will feel better very soon! Keep up the good work!

Regards

Best Answer

When hungry eat nuts or heathlier foods.

Best Answer

I got the same situation.. always hungry. I was thinking about only eat fruit when i feel hungry, that is the best solution..but it is a bit pricey for me to get or buy fresh fruit everyday, i cannot afford it.. i am thinking about the cheaper solution.

Something like every  2 hour i feel hungry, just want to eat something, i always eat bread, but i think the carbo is high also

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jerey: bread probably isn’t the best food to snack on, especially if it’s white bread (different if it’s dark - e.g. rye - whole-grain bread that is high in fiber), as it’s not very satiating and won’t keep you full for very long.

However, it’s not normal to be hungry every two hours. Maybe you should look at your main meals (e.g. breakfast, lunch, dinner, if it’s the way you’re eating). If they are well-balanced, they should keep you full for longer than a couple of hours.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jereyagree with @Dominique about bread not being a good option. Dark bread is better, but read the labels as there is often sugar added that you don't need. If fresh fruit isn't a good option, try raw almonds, just a few after you've had a full glass of water. I find people that are dehydrated often mistake that for being hungry. Focus on healthy meals, lots of water, and keep busy. You can go for many days without food and feel great, it's your mind and old habits that are tricking you into thinking you are hungry. If you have access to Netflix, there is a very interesting documentary about fasting, that will show you benefits to going hungry occasionally.

Good luck on your journey to a healthier lifestyle. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for all of the suggestion, i definitely try to find the dark bread or that whole grains one, about that almonds, sound good, might try that and see the result myself.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jerey -- I am agreeing with @Dominique and @MarciM - I believe that snacking on fruits and bread will tend to increase your blood sugar and insulin leading to cravings and more snacking - kind of vicious circle.  In my case, if I ate those every 2 hours, I would feel constantly starved.

Water, nuts and avocados are foods that tend to reduce my appetite.

Best Answer
0 Votes