new IFTTT Triggers/Actions

I love my Fitbit. And I especially love that it speaks to IFTTT. With the Fitbit on so many wrists and IFTTT constantly expanding, the possibilities really are endless.

I'd like to suggest a couple of IFTTT Triggers and Actions that can take things to the next level though.

Parity.

First, Fitbit should achieve parity with it's competitors on IFTTT.  The other guys have several other useful triggers/actions that could benefit Fitbit users in similiar ways. 

Vibrate action.

It'd be great to set complex alarms via IFTTT.  Even greater would be to get a buzz on your wrist when your boss emails you.  Or when your favorite celebrity tweets.  The Fitbit's ability to vibrate is under-used!

Message action.

Combine this with the vibrate action or let it stand on its on. Would love the ability to set custom messages to show up on the Fitbit screen.  Let me know when my wife gets home. Give me a quick excerpt from the email from my best friend. The WeMo detected movement in the basement.

Triple tap trigger.

Don't know if it's possible but Triple tap your Fitbit to trigger countless actions on IFTTT.  Triple tap to find your phone. Triple tap to turn on/off the lights. Triple tap to get the current temperature (using the message action from above!) Maybe have an IFTTT menu item on the fitbit and allow additional tapping from there.

Cheer/Taunt action.

Self-explantory. 

Love my Fitbit, but I have room to love it more.  Hook it up!

Mod edit: label

10 Comments
Michael
5K Racer

@ultrazero I love the idea of a lot of those suggestions, but somehow I doubt they will implement them. The main issue is that Fitbits aren't always connected to anything. The most often they sync is every 15-20 minutes, unless you manually sync them. Some people only sync once every other day, which would totally kill the functionality of these suggestions.

Would you be happy if you triple tapped to turn on the lights, and it took ~15 minutes for them to come on?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

These are some really innovative ideas and we appreciate you sharing them with us. We'll be sure to submit them to the appropriate channels for review.

MrBreadWater
Recovery Runner

Hello everyone, I thought maybe we could add new actions on the IFTTT channel such as making the Flex (or other bands) vibrate and/or light up when it is triggered, or have more Aria triggers.

TarinFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @MrBreadWater your idea was great, I merge it here, because in this way it will be easier for our product team to notice it.  

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

There are many suggestions in this thread. Let me start by saying that new devices like Ionic and Versa have all-day sync (if activated).

Parity.

Can you give more details about what you are looking for? Also, this suggestion isn't recent, so maybe IFTTT updated their triggers for Fitbit.

Vibrate action

There is no way to trigger vibration right now directly on the devices. With the new SDK, 3rd party applications are able to use the Haptics API. As for notifications, you can get them on our smart watches.

Message action

Again, not about IFTTT, but on Ionic and Versa, developers can create clock faces that would call any 3rd party web services to make this happen. Since we don't have push notification right now, it wouldn't be possible to add this to IFTTT.

Triple tap trigger

Same as message action.

Cheer/Taunt action

There is no APi for this: the only place you can see those are in your Fitbit app dashboard. We would need to create a Web API for this before IFTTT can implement this suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback. I would suggest you split the suggestions separately next time: it makes it easier to follow up and update the status.

kethrym
First Steps

Is there ant way to reduce the scan time. I would love to trigger a number of events via ifttt when my fitbit sensors that I have woken up in the morning

cuddlefish76
First Steps

I've used a withings scale for a year, but just switched to fitbit because I like the integration with the fitbit wrist tracker.

However, I just saw that while someone at fitbit has set up IFTTT.com (If This, Then That) integration, it's severely lacking in 'ingredients' to choose from. The Fitbit/ifttt  only has these 'ingredients':

- Date

- Weight

- BMI

Since the big feature of this scale is to give bodyfat percentage, it's frustrating that the ifttt doesn't give that number.

(side note: the 'date' ingredient gives extra that makes it hard to use in other apps. it outputs "June 15, 2018 at 12:21PM" and that extra " at " in there makes it so most software won't recognize it as a date/time but text. So it would be MUCH better to have it just say "June 15, 2018 12:21PM")

By contrast, the Withings team set up these ingredients for IFTTT integration:

- Date/Time

- WeightLb

- WeightKG

- LeanMassLb

- LeanMassKG

- FatMassLb

- FatMassKG

- FatPercent

I know that the Fitbit Aria is taking these measurements, because they're sending them to fitbit. It would be helpful if this data were available through IFTTT as well.

Thanks!

charlie__
Jogger
Fitbit's IFTTT integration allows events to be triggered when a new sleep is logged. However, this can take up to a couple of hours after waking up. By using alarms as a trigger, this would allow for much more reliable automation of tasks - like turning on the lights, radio or coffee machine at the same time as my alarm.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @charlie__, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use alarms as a trigger for IFTTT integration. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.