Tracking the incline on a treadmill for more accurate stats

There should be a way to track the incline setting on the treadmill as this changes the amount of calories burned in that work out.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

39 Comments
Tinessael
First Steps

Hi, I really hoped I could enter the incline on the treadmill and it would show that I burned more calories 🙂 

sudzee
First Steps

agree with Tinessael.  Using a treadmill every AM at 4% incline.  No way to track  Should be an easy fix.

WBJ
Recovery Runner
Allow for incline inputs. Inclines can significantly alter effort and calories burned. Using the treadmill at a 6' or 10' incline over distance and time is very different than at 0'.
dsny
Stepping Up

I also agree.  It would be great if we could log the incline. I have a treadmill (usually 30 minutes at 15%) and am considering an incline trainer.  For now, I enter the stats from the treadmill into my Fitbit log. I hope Fitbit adds this option directly.

@Tinessael wrote:

Hi, I really hoped I could enter the incline on the treadmill and it would show that I burned more calories 🙂 

joenurik
Jogger

I also think the incline percentage is very important on a treadmill. It significatly increases the quality of my workout and I would hope to be able to have it on my surge. I am hoping you do this as a firmware update or at the least as an ability to add the number to my dashboard.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I also agree. When manually adding activity it would be beneficial to be able to manage incline in order to record more accurate calorie burn.

campbellpt
Jogger

Add another vote to add this feature.  While I vary my incline between 3% and 10% throughout my workout, I would suggest a minimum incline.  It would help with the calorie calculation but it would also give credit for flights of stairs.

TheCount
Recovery Runner

Piling on and adding another vote. Use inclined treadmill frequently and the surge consistantly underestimates distance/steps and calorie burn. Understandably, when i occasionally use the handrails for a steep incline the tracking is worse. For example, tried using surge in run/treadmill mode. Did 2 mile treadmill walk in 38 min at 12% and the surge tracked about .3 mile and credited 700 steps. 

Anabelle
Jogger

i agree! I have been thinking the same thing. Running at let's say 7% incline and 0% incline is very different and there should be a way to account for it! I hope this feature will get addes in the future.

rogerthatbaby
First Steps

I was wanting to do the same thing! I usually start and end my walk on an incline, so this is really important to me!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
CindyFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I think this is a great idea, this could make a difference in the data when working out on a treadmill! 

Thanks for stopping by! 

Dmaidlow
First Steps
I'd love incline support as well. I'd also like the ability to adjust the incline live. I use a Nordic track x15i and in training try to keep the incline maxed at 40% while keeping my heart rate under 140bpm. To accomplish this ill adjust the speed or incline as needed. Being able to use the buttons on the right side of my surge to change the incline on the fly would be awesome! Thanks!
Hy55
Jogger
So it's been six months since Cindy at Fitbit thought this was a great idea but still no capability. Is it time for Fitbit to clarify why a great idea has gotten no action? I would have thought that this suggestion is a straightforward software fix, but perhaps I am wrong and an explanation would help with the question I posed above.
Spudrik
First Steps
Also would like this feature for manual logging. So i can see my training more accurately reflected
lilminx
First Steps

Please would like to manually adjust the results for Treadmill walk.  Incline and distance currently way off on my Blaze and yes, I did my measured my stride correctly.  My treadmill says 2.85 miles at a 10% incline and a 2.3 mph pace.  My Blaze is like 1.01 miles, no incline, just way off. I worked with the software when i had the fitbit one and could always manually adjust my results to match my numbers on the treadmill.  Why is the software for the Blaze regressing instead of using the good software you already have and making it better?

MousemanBryan
Jogger

.....when logging exercise.... especially on a treadmill....it would be awesome to have an incline option as it currently does not

Otherwise the calories burned have to be manually adjusted

ShaunyB
Recovery Runner

Just to add my voice to this, the Fitbit is an excellent watch but the lack of incline support is a massive omission. I know we can add it as a manual entry but i want to be able to map my heart rate stats to my session. Please consider adding this in a firmware, app release.

RunningAmy
Base Runner

This is a little tricky because often the workout is interval based and so the incline varies, but it would be nice to manually add some average incline % or manual floor count for accuracy, specifically for a Treadmill workout. Ideally this would be accompanied by some instruction of how to convert the grade % to a floor count.

It's both annoying and inaccurate, to do a great workout walking or running up and down simulated hills for an hour, then have fitbit not register I met the floor goal!

Diana_B
Jogger

Another vote for elevation tracking on the treadmill. Surprised it wasn't added from the get go. 

sh8
First Steps

Another vote for incline tracking. This is a big part of my exercise.

BenPaterson
First Steps

I could REALLY use this feature, too.  I always use incline and it does make a big difference in the calories expended compared to 0 percent incline.  Note that most treadmills use units of "percent incline"  (like 5%, or 15% [the max on most machines]).  This means you are climbing 5 feet for every 100 feet of horizontal movement, or 15 feet of rise for every 100 feet of horizontal movement.    

Stryker369
First Steps

If you can count the number of stairs climbed, could you add incline % during a run? I would love an opportunity to get an estimated hill incline whether through GPS or some other means. 

annachim84
First Steps

There should be incline information for the treadmill 

jfields219
First Steps

Another vote to add this functionality

ocdtime
First Steps

Before beginning a workout on treadmill allow to manually enter TREADMILL SETTINGS particularly INCLINE. Then Fitbit can adjust calories accordingly. It would also be fantastic if it could also then calculate ‘floors’ climbed, based on the incline, rather than the altimeter, which requires that you physically change altitude before a floor is counted. Thanks 😉

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.