Eliminate steps when manually logging a 'Bike' activity

When I manually log the 'Bike' activity, I am telling Fitbit that I am doing a non-step based activity. Similar to 'driving' it should eliminate the steps counted during a manual 'Bike' activity'.

I biked 4 miles today and it logged close to 2000 steps during that time.

Moderator edit: Added labels 

11 Comments
drew259
Recovery Runner

Yes, this a million times over again.   If I go for a bike ride, it basically makes the fitbit worthless for that day. Actually, I have to remember to remove my fitbt before a bike ride in order to get more accurate data for the day. I would think that if you have to remove your fitbit because you are going to exercise, there's a problem with the product or software... 

yobro24
Jogger

Yes Yes Yes. The current situation is ridiculous. Despite many people asking, fitbit has failed to explain why when the unit records a bike ride it states zero step impact on your day but has added thousands of steps to the daily log. I ride a motorcycle (which it counts as a bike ride) - I certainly don't want it to add steps or floors to the daily total!

Suomela
Jogger
Remove steps from biking and add another exercise named moutainbike. Remove stairs couting too. Maybe will be deleted if steps are off. This is one big thing if i would buy a newer fitbit in future.

/fitbit blaze
SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Charge HR with the same problem
loumoo
First Steps

But the other problem with cycling, is that if you log a cycling activity, it updates your calories and active minutes but not your distance travelled!

I also like the fact that cycling logs some "steps" as sometimes you cycle instead of walking, put in just as much activity, if not more, and it counts for nothing. So you STILL have to walk 10,000 steps

IanSmith
First Steps

YES! This needs to happen. My work does a challenge every year where if you average a certain number of steps per day you can earn rewards. There are activity conversions that let you convert minutes doing activities into steps. When I got my Charge 2 I was looking forward to the ability to automatically sync my daily step total instead of entering them manually. But since the Fitbit still registers steps towards my daily total I have to do some arithmetic  when I get home to make sure I don't "double count" steps. Or I could just leave the Fitbit home but that defeats the whole purpose of having the tracker and a bike mode.

Yogi13
Jogger

and I thought this was a new issue Smiley Frustrated I have the ALTA HR and I bike one hr a day.  It logs over 7K steps to my day so before 10AM I have over 10K steps.  I was told by a representative that a "special team" is working on this issue to correct it but seeing some posts as far back as 2015 with other fitbit models makes me feel hopeless.

HS829
Jogger

I am wondering this too...I feel like there should be a way to accurately count steps while riding a spinning bike. And 7,000 steps for an hour seems pretty accurate (I walk at an incline about 40 min on the treadmill and get similar compared on the distance). But I want all types of activity to count towards the step goal, it just seems silly to exercise and have it not count towards the overall step goal. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @phurwitzma1 thanks for sharing this. There's a big variety with regards to this, where some community members want step-credit for biking whilst others don't. Sounds like giving you the option would be the best option. As a short term work around, you can remove steps by selecting driving as an activity. Thanks again

yobro24
Jogger
I use the driving activity but it doesn’t remove the steps from the 7 day totals (which annoys my wife as it looks as though I am beating her). Can you not get it to remove the steps from this as well?

Sent from my iPhone
Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.