Ability to use Chest Strap Heart Rate Monitor or foot pods

I like that the Charge HR and Surge have the ability to monitor heart rate via the wrist based optical monitor, but from what I have gathered, it sounds like all wrist based optical heart rate monitors have poor accuracy at high intensity workouts.  It would be great if fitbit had a product that had a wrist based heart rate monitor, but would switch to using a chest strap heart rate monitor if one was detected.  Any chance that the firmware/software on the Charge HR and/or Surge could be updated to use a bluetooth chest strap heart rate monitor? 

Moderator edit: labels and title.

332 Comments
Aseraph
Keeping Pace

Still inaccurate for me (Polar H7 vs. Charge HR) on an erg; the Charge HR's BPM can vary wildly from workout to workout, registering anywhere from 100 BPM to 190 BPM when my H7 is registering 145-165 BPM.

Session recorded with Polar H7Session recorded with Polar H7

Session recorded with Charge HRSession recorded with Charge HR

Urge
First Steps
Hi MTBer,
I read your post and gave it a try. I think that you are on to something here! I had worn my surge and my Garmin 960 chest strap for my last three workouts and it seems, as you say, that the heartrate monitor is much more accurate. Especially on the higher end of the intensity scale. I am not sure if this is just a placebo effect, wishful thinking and all, but I plan to continue the experiment. So far I have had my Garmin 960 along with me to compare the two measurements. Next I plan to just wear the strap and use my Surge and see what happens. I have also tried this with my Apple Watch, series2 which uses the Fitbit technology for heart rate and it also works with the chest strap. Let's hope that this is real.

Urge

This email message and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or otherwise used by anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient, kindly notify the sender and delete this email and any attachments immediately. Hydra Biosciences
Petr_Pavlik
Jogger

Hi,

it would be nice to allow users to connect their smart-bands to Chest Heart Rate Monitor to enhance accuracy while in exercise mode. Since Wrist HR technology has accuracy issues during weight lifting and similar activities, it could be overcome by connecting Chest HR Monitor, which is much more accurate, via Bluetooth. It could be a big deal for many customers like me and would boost your products capabilities as a training tool. Thanks for consideration.

scottfree4me
First Steps
So after months of waiting I have given up and moved on. While very specific in its functionality and not designed to be another copy of FitBit I have purchased the Moov HR Sweat. (moov.cc). Finally a tracker that gives pinpoint HR accuracy during HITT workouts.
xTommyG
Base Runner

FitBit needs to release a chest strap product asap. The heart rate monitoring for high intensity workouts will never be as effective as a chest monitor. It should pair via blue tooth so that the watch can be still used/worn to track steps and other goodies but it needs to monitor the chest strap for heart rate while synced.

I'm pretty sure you'd sell out in days. I'd buy one. And you'd be able to compete with other vendors like Moov and Polar. Not asking for much, seems like an easy product to release.

Parras
First Steps

Another yes please please for this idea. Cannot get proper readings from my charge hr when on xc ski machine. Also seeing anomalies about 30 min into a fast walk, so need a better solution.

Vansazen
First Steps

We desperately need this functionality! Currently, I have to wear my Fitbit Charge HR and a Suunto M5 during high intensity workouts (e.g. Basketball) in order to have accurate readings of my heart rate and the difference between those two is, simply put, striking. On average, the Fitbit Charge HR underestimates my heart rate by around 30 BPM, which is not acceptable for guided workouts.

All your competitors can make this happen (e.g. Garmin, Apple, Polar), the technology is right there and it is just a software tweak.

So, what is holding you back from developing such a highly requested feature from your Fitbit community? Why is there still no comment, feedback or update from your side?

definitely yes! that's what I am looking for as well, you got my vote!

that's a good one, got my vote 🙂

Caitmiller87
First Steps

I have tattoos so the heart rate monitor on the wrist isn't a feature I get to use. I love the community and step/stair counting. A heart rate monitor chest strap will open up for more people to use Fitbit. I'm certainly not the only one with tattoos! 

S_I_M
Jogger

I was given a Fitbit Charge 2 last Christmas and love all the features but I'm unhappy with the highly inaccurate heart rate readings when I exercise. I initally thought my Fitbit was broken but after researching the web I discoverred that this issue is normal.
I think, if Fitbit could fix this issue they would have by now and so I think Fitbit should include a chest strap for a more accurate reading. I've been using a chest strap for years, which gives me an accurate heart rate reading and I not happy with taking a backwards step.
The chest strap would be another source to fine tune the heart rate reading and it would enable the watch to be taken off the wrist and still record the heart rate.
The reasons why I don't always want the watch on my wrist are:
- I attach my watch to my bike handlebars when riding because I can see it better
- It is unsafe to wear the watch when rockclimbing
- I might damage the watch when doing weights or other activities
- I might put it in my backpack when bushwalking/skiing because it's coverred with clothes/gloves

Greyfox182
First Steps

I really love the UI and the information presented.  However, it's tough to record my daily workouts at my Muay Thai gym.  I have a janky way of having it record during my sessions; however, I would love to see a FitBit chest strap.  Or, because I have the fitbit blaze an accessory that allow's you to wear it at your waist or chest since you can pop it in and out of that frame.

joeclimb
First Steps

You know, I feel we are talking into the wind when it comes to Fitbit incorporating a Bluetooth HR chest strap.  I have been following these posts and have yet to see an official response.  I also called them and I hate to say it but I was talking to a computer - so you can guess just how far that request went.

I just don't understand why they can't do this.  It seems such a logical improvement.  Anyone who is truly interested in monitoring their HR during strenuous exercise knows all hand worn devices are worthless without HR chest strap connectivity.

To Fitbit, assume for every post there are hundreds of current and prospective Fitbit wearers with the same concern.  As much as I like my Fitbit surge, I will not recommend it to anyone who is serious about cardio exercise. 

Assuming someone at Fitbit reads these comments, kindly provide a response to our collective request regarding this matter.

Thanks,

Joe

ggoodman
First Steps

My guess is FitBit is concerned that by allowing external Bluetooth chest strap monitors to work, they are somehow undermining the positioning of their wrist-based HR monitor. However, I would encourage FitBit to get over this concern and look instead to what will create a complete experience for their customers. (Think like Apple!) Building a product to be the best it can be is more important and it will payoff in the end. Fact is, wrist-based HR's have their limitations. Every time I exercise, I have to use a separate Polar HR computer and chest strap to get an accurate reading. If Polar's software and community ever gets as good as FitBits, I'll jump ship. However, if Fitbit updated their system to accept Bluetooth Chest HR, then I would have little reason to leave FitBit since their software is superior. If need be, they can only make it work with HR tracking devices, although I don't think it would really matter, since no one wants to wear a chest strap all day, just for intense exercise.

Come on guys, stop fearing your customers and start making moves to make FitBit the best overall fitness solution on the market.

ww1cobra
First Steps
Well said!

Sent from my iPhone
ww1cobra
First Steps
Well said!

Sent from my iPhone
Parras
First Steps

So now when I do intervals training on my old Nordic track machine, I get out my old polar f11 and track heart rate that way. Tonight I got polar said 152 fitbit 109. Way off.  Can get better readings if I really really dry the fitbit leds AND my arm off and replace the fitbit on my arm, lift my arm up and shake it a bit or tap the watchface. Does not hold for long, if it gets sweaty again... accuracy tanks. 

Brentonius
Recovery Runner
Good post. I switched to Garmin months ago and am happy with the VivoActive.

Brent Cunningham
Brentonius
Recovery Runner
Good post. I switched to Garmin months ago and am happy with the VivoActive.

Brent Cunningham
Dando
Jogger

So I'm done with FitBit and am trading out to Garmin. No response from FitBit on this issue. Very ordinary customer support, very ordinary product.

S_I_M
Jogger

I've just bought the Polar H10 Heart Rate Sensor to ware at the same time as my fitbit charge 2. Strava.com then combines both results into a Group Activity, which I can then compare.
It is not the best solution but at least I'm getting an accurate heart rate now.

Solez
Jogger

Anyone know if you can use a fitbit with GPS connect and use a chest strap to replace the HR data from my charge 2.

I am just about to return mine as I cannot get over 163 even with a bleep test or a treadmill V02 max protocol.

I tried seeing if the hr data from a run with my tomtom watch would sync across to the fitbit run from strava but it failed, all it copied was the miles with no gps route and the calories showing as 25 for a 17min run. Also 1.5 miles did not copy across to my daily miles so I am very dissapointed in the strava sync.

ww1cobra
First Steps
Hasn't happend yet fit bit will not take the hint.

Sent from my iPhone
rickstaa
Keeping Pace

I would love this feature so +1

Dando
Jogger

I'm just getting rid of my FitBit now - waited too long for product improvement...it's not coming. Useless product if you do anything above walking. Going to a different brand.....

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.