Create open groups on Community in app

Need to be able to create open groups on fit bit app, at present can only create closed groups on fit bit app community.

Mod edit: label & title

85 Comments
Hkovacik
First Steps

Good suggestion! I wish groups were public. I want other tennis players to join my group, but I don't know many other tennis enthusiasts with fitbits. 

Ruby_J
First Steps

It seems like people have been wanting this feature for a while. I'm new to Fitbit, and fitness in general, and it would be SOOOOOO helpful if this were a feature! I'd like to connect with other people who are at the same level as I am, and also other people who are maybe more advanced, to be able to learn from each other. Why hasn't this been made a thing yet?! The community needs it! I was hoping for more from Fitbit, seeing as it's been around for a while.

Domsy
First Steps

I was trying to create an open group just to find out this isn't possible. I am shocked as to why you wouldn't allow your users to connect with like minded people to track exercise and challenge each other.

I could live with being a closed group but at least having a link to the closed group . If you have the link then you should be able to find and request to join... But...nothing is available.

We wanted to connect with some of the Fitbit users to track our steps and challenge each other. We are not Facebook friends , I don't have their numbers, they are not  within my book... Basically, all we share is Passion for steps and improvement. With no option to be able to connect with challenge that can be supported by Fitbit community, we just won't be able to see each others progress. 

I really truly don't understand why there is no option for an open group, or group where an admin can accept or decline requests ...

Chaz10
Jogger

I just created a group to get more people interactive and motivated, but it automatically closes the group so people cannot find it. Then it makes a group pointless if you.have to add everyone as a friend to then add them into group. Please change.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Chaz10! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

alc21
Jogger

I really want this type of feature. I would like to create an LGBT community so folks are able to share their questions on what exercises worked for them to achieve the results they wanted for their bodies to express their identities, etc. in a safe environment. 

KinseyJane
First Steps

This would be so nice to be able to do this! You could create a public group for your community and meet locals and find more active things or healthy places to eat in your community.

Let’s make this happen FitBit! 

Sarahb88
First Steps

So i  opened up a group on the app..  It's  a closed group..   How do I create an open ?group

AmyRP
First Steps

Can you create an open community group for Atlanta?

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @AmyRP! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Melanie4kps
Recovery Runner

I didn't see my city on the list of groups so i created one not realizing it would be a closed group! 

Could Fitbit add Las Vegas on its city list?

Getfitnow0
Jogger

Yes I agree we should be able to make it public it sucks that they deleted all the public groups on the website! It would have been nice if they could have moved it over from the website to the app. I was actually  in a lot of groups. Did they asked us before they deleted the groups? I must have missed it.

Getfitnow0
Jogger

Where do you vote at?

Anj007
First Steps

During this lockdown be really good to see perhaps a community group set up (similar to cardio, cycling etc groups) to share ideas on how to work out at home and get more people to connect. 

Also the workouts available on the app be great if somehow they can be cast to a TV so I can have it on the big screen 😁

Hedgehog2010
First Steps

I don’t like the closes group AT ALL it really sucks

cestsimona
First Steps

Exactly! I think it’s such a pity that we can’t create open groups to share enthusiasm for specific sports and build a community around that. At the moment the only public groups out there for running, lifting and meditation... that’s a very narrow field.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Anj007, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to create a open group to share more workouts ideas during this time. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SunsetRunner  and everyone ! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this suggestion has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

ShaSha123
First Steps

I wanted to find a group for Post Hysterectomy Women, but there weren't any. I created my own to discover it was a closed group. Please, please add the option to create an open group!!

Deedge33
First Steps

I would love to be able to create a group for my company and its employees to all share fitness things together, but I definitely do not want to have to friend all of them and then manually invite each individual, there are over 700 of us. That can be so cumbersome. This would be a great addition to FitBit's app. 

YourboiEddo
First Steps

I agree with all of the above, please add an open group function. Thank you!

catherine_a_m
Jogger

I also think it would be great to be able to join open groups, that were searchable for others to find and join.  I would love an LGBT group, and local groups near to where I live, where we could join in together on walks and runs etc. 

JLeith
Recovery Runner

It would be useful to setup a group so that people with similar interests could find and then encourage one another.

Ttellio
Jogger
Allow us to make and join groups beyond the 50 boring/broad groups displayed in the app. None of them are useful to me. You have nothing for trans people, & nothing for chronic pain even. I thought ai was experiencing a glitch. I cannot believe you let us create groups but not use groups others have created. How am i supposed to find "community"?
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Ttellio, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to join and create open groups on Community in app. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.