Enable developing clock faces that support Reminders to Move

It would be great if we could develop a new clock face that displays the current status of Reminders to Move, but this is not currently possible, although it is possible to come somewhat close.

I think we need the following enhancements to the SDK:

1. Provide a way that the clock face code can access the Reminders to Move preferences that were set by the user, e.g. the start and end times.
  2. Provide a way that the clock face code can obtain the exact values that the Today app is displaying, otherwise the new clock face app will appear broken if a user compares the values.

Regarding the second item, what I'm looking for is a way to obtain the exact same counts, including previous hours, so that if a user installs a new clock face with Reminders to Move displayed and then goes to the Today app they will see the same thing.  I think the only way to currently implement the Reminders is to have the new clock face start counting when it is installed so it will not display the correct value for the current hour nor can it display how many previous hours were met or missed.  Note that this should work no matter when the device was last synced, so the hourly counts probably need to come directly from the device and not from the web API.

Thanks,

John

19 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Nice suggestion @Drifty26 and thanks for sharing within the community. I think it would also be nice to add this to the Web API and not just the SDK. We look forward to hearing what other developers think.

POTUS31
First Steps

We were looking to upgrade from Jawbone and settled on the Garmin Vívomove because of the “Time to Move” bar graph on the face, but the watch was too big for my wife's wrist. We figured we could add a similar graphic to a Versa face with the SDK. Currently, we have to activate the clock, swipe up, wait for the data to load, and then scroll a little farther to find out how many steps left in the hour. (Not very expedient) This inactivity alarm motivator is a selling point of the Fitbit, and by default it's set for 8 hours a day at the factory. It needs to be on the face of the Versa to be most useful, rather than buried under several steps and load time. Hoping you add this functionality to the clock face SDK soon.

erik.ruser
Jogger

It would be nice to have #1 in the Web API. #2 is already sort of supported in the Web API via the intraday time series. Unfortunately you have to jump through a lot of hoops to access that data including having your app specially reviewed by fitbit, and having the user log in and explicitly allow access to the data, which seems excessive for just a watch face.

I agree both need to be available in the SDK. 

jeremiahlee
Runner

Please please please add the ability for the SDK to access the hourly goal, the hourly progress to that goal, and the hourly progress for the day.

jeremiahlee
Runner

This needs to be in the SDK. Being able to show progress towards hourly movement goals would be an excellent watchface complication.

torehogas
First Steps

Supported wholeheartedly. Just upgraded (?) from a Blaze to a Versa and was very surprised to find that

1. No official Fitbit face supports hourly steps
  2. There's no support for hourly steps in the API

bzuker
First Steps

+1. The data is available in the 'Today' part, so it shouldn't be difficult to add to the SDK. 

Is there a roadmap or a possible alternative so far?

notwaldorf
First Steps

Any updates on this? I've also opened https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Activity-API-request-add-stepsThisHour/idi-p/406..., which is very similar, so the demand continues to exist.

notwaldorf
First Steps

Any updates on this? I've also opened https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Activity-API-request-add-stepsThisHour/idi-p/406..., which is very similar, so the demand continues to exist.

Parichino
Stepping Up

Adding my vote - we really must have hourly steps and hourly step goals in the API. 

kerido
First Steps

Added my vote. Any updates to this?

InkyBee
First Steps

I agree! I was very excited to add both the hourly step count AND the number of times I already hit the hourly step count today to a watch face and was very disappointed both that this isn't possible and even more that this has been requested for at leasts two years already.

t-boe
Stepping Up

Hi John,

I always used your Move It clock face on my Ionic and love it! I recently upgraded to the new Versa 3. Do you happen to have an updated clock face?

Thanks so much

Drifty26
Strider

Thanks - I'm glad you liked the clock face.

Unfortunately my Versa died and Fitbit didn't offer to replace it or offer enough for me to buy one, so I've quit using the device.  As a result, I'm not currently doing any Fitbit development.

John

t-boe
Stepping Up
Oh that's a bummer they didn't help you out with the replacement. Thanks
for still responding!

Sent from my pocket computer
Drifty26
Strider

FYI, I updated the "Move It!" watch face to support Versa 3 and Sense.  I have not updated the other version of this app - "#HtW Move It!"

John

t-boe
Stepping Up
That's awesome!!! Thanks for letting me know

Sent from my pocket computer
jashmead
Jogger

Hey all, specifically @Drifty26 I really do love your clock face, Move It! on my Versa 3.

I saw a post from another thread where you were no longer using a FitBit device... which I also assume that means you are no longer developing the Move It! Clock face...  This makes me sad.

I have tried my hand at clock face development, but starting from a 'blank page' is difficult, especially since your clock face has everything that I need.

The only issue I have is that the clock face on the Versa 3 seems to have smaller text than on the Versa 2.

I really want to ask you what your plans are for this clock face.  Is development dead for it?  Are you willing to share the code to let others like myself help out and make some changes?  Or, for my case, just to make the text larger, maybe change the date format.

What do you think?

Thanks,

J

Guy_
Space Racer

The SimpleClockPro clock face keeps track of Steps This Hour and Active hours, with multiple reminders to move and a Steps This Hour history for the day on the clock face without needing to sync.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.