Epilepsy/seizure tracking

Fitbit has a large clientele that has epilepsy. I understand that a seizure can not be predicted, but to capture the events in real time instead of having to “think” back to when the event happened and how long (if you’re alone) would be helpful. Using the HR monitor to track spikes in heart rate as well as the gyroscope (or whatever it’s called) that would help to count steps, would really be a good starting point to help capture the duration of convulsive seizures as well as a note section so we can fill in the blanks for our neurologists/epileptologist. 

Apple has some great ideas already and it would be nice to see Fitbit compete in this space as well. 

Moderator edit: labels.

21 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MouseyMouse1 thank you for your excellent suggestion. I have no doubt that others will like this idea.

MouseyMouse1
Jogger

I hope so! It’s been something I’ve been searching for, for quite a while! 

Chmmr
First Steps

I would also like to see something like this of it's possible. 

ECKehoe
First Steps

My husband has nocturnal tonic clonic seizures. He needs to track them so that he can get his meds adjusted if they’re poorly controlled. A Fitbit app would make this easy and more accurate than relying on my impression of how long a seizure lasts.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ECKehoe, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon. You can also vote fo this other suggestion: Seizure alert.

LindaMSutch
Recovery Runner

I would definitely find this useful and have been hunting for this in Fitbit. I thought the sleep function might be one that I could adapt as my seizures only occur in my sleep. Although it may not be able to record the actual behaviour it would be useful for complimenting the description and duration of my behaviour. Hubby has always noted when I have a seizure, but always certain of this. 

I wondered whether Fitbit could step in here.  

Mike67224
First Steps

I have nocturnal tonic epilepsy as well as regular tonic I really hope to find a app to help us all 

LindaMSutch
Recovery Runner
I agree that those of us who have epilepsy can all often be grouped together with other people who have the same diagnosis, but with a different presentation.   Occupations I applied for training included some which I would have thought of as having more knowledge of the condition. I appreciated  
the Royal Yachting Association who accepted my application to become a windsurfing instructor! I had no problems when I was teaching people to windsurf .   My seizures only occur while I'm asleep and I do have to rely on my husband to tell me when I've had a fit and how it presented. I have been issued with a driving licence and having been seizure free while awake for over 15 years. I recorded when they occurred and used this to tell my neurologist at my out-patient appointments. 
In my teens, I identified that events producing stress were most of the time aspects that preceded fits. 
I told the neurologist and he agreed that I'd "cracked" it. I often have to "re-educate" people as to the fact that the diagnosis of epilepsy doesn't always mean that the person's seizures present in a similar way to falling and going unconscious and that there's a wide variety of forms of presentations. 
This is the reason why I'm writing, as Fitbit could help a lot of people if they could produce an adaptation for their products to help those of us with epilepsy get more information about their own situation.  Linda Sutch           
Flyersred48
First Steps

Thank you for sharing, I can certainly relate and I really needed to read your comment. I have nocturnal seizures too and my boyfriend thinks mine come out from stress.  But when I go without a lot of sleep I seem to have them it seems so It’s a little confusing but he’s dead set it’s all stress. 

auntielaura
Jogger

I would be in favor of a seizure detection app.  I mostly have seizures while awake, but had a lot of stress last year and had my first nocturnal seizures.  I was able to determine based on my sleep cycle and heartrate that I had 2 seizures while sleeping.  I had 2 distinct sleeping cycles and 2 heartrate spikes of 133 and 140.  There should be a way to develop a seizure app on Fitbit.  

MrsAmok
First Steps

I understand that the OpenSeizureDetection app reaches out to a caregiver with a location if seizure like activity is tracked. Fitbit does offer this app for 4 of its devices.
My question is when will this app be available for the Sense

nicki604
First Steps

This is something that I am looking for for my daughter also.  She just turned 17 this past Friday.  She has had epilepsy since she was 4.5yrs and it’s hard to tell if she has had one or if anything happened.  She has had two different Fitbit’s in the past and needs a new one and I’m looking for something that will help with her.  I know that Apple has something like this but would like this stick with the Fitbit as she likes to track her steps.  

ECKehoe
First Steps
Much as we love fitbit, we switched to apple for this reason.

ECKehoe
Sent from my iPhone
Jla79
Recovery Runner

For the first time ever in my life, I had a seizure at 59!  Prescribed by my neurologist is this https://www.empatica.com/embrace2/ 

It can detect generalized tonic-clonic seizures and alert a designated individual or individuals depending on your monthly plan.

My Charge 4 captured my heart rate instantaneously spiking up from 54 to 114 when I seized while asleep.

Thanks for your comment! I also had a seizure for the first time in my life at 64!

When discharged from the hospital last month, I was instructed to have a follow up appointment with a neurologist which is next Tuesday.

I have a lot of questions and a monitoring device like this is exactly what I will ask about!

Unfortunately my Fitbit Sense that I was wearing at the time of my seizure did nothing special, except showing an elevated heartbeat.

Du117
Jogger

Any updates on epilepsy tracking ? 

Du117
Jogger
Fitbit should develop an app or the option to track seizures. Not an in depth tracker per se. More like one that could indicate that the person had suffered from a seizure at a particular and for what duration. Also maybe an option to earn emergency contacts if possible.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Du117, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the possibility of tracking seizures. I noticed that a similar feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here, this helps to keeps the boards more organized. Make sure to add your vote as well to support this suggestion, this helps the team of developers to keep track of popularity and demand over time. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

Nisha2022
First Steps

It would be good if Fitbit can set the ability to track seizures and details about it.

EllyBird
Jogger

I really want a siezure feature on the watches. I had a siezure during my exams and it was the worst one I have ever had. I was so scared as I have been really good for awhile now. I screamed out for people to come help me as it was an at home exam. But my dad had his headphones on and couldn't hear me (noise cancelling was too good 😂)

But I had so much time if it was a feature on the watch it could of just sent a text to my dad or mum and I would of been safer and not as scared. It was so traumatic. 

So yeah I think it would be really good to have this feature. They have afib detection and fall detection in the other Fitbits and google watches. So what's one more feature. They are told to not be used for medical use. 

Ladychaos85
First Steps

I also have epilepsy. My doctors suggested i get a fitbit to help monitor heart rate etc. If fitbit could identify when i am having a seizure it would be really helpful for my neurologist.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.