Fallen Detection & Notification App

Recently, I have been thinking about what would occur if I fell down and either could not manage to get myself up or became unconscious whether within my apartment or elsewhere.

The fact is that I could not manage to afford one of those devices that can be used in such cases where emergency responders can be contacted and then be dispatched to the scene.

While in the process of thinking about this type of scenario and what potential options might be with which to address it, what came to mind is about how I already have the technology on my wrist, my Fitbit Charge 3 model fitness tracker smartwatch, that could do just what is needed should something along the above lines ever happen.

What would be required is to include an app within its main app that people with the device could select and program with contact information and the like for if and when something happens, like a fall or other need for assistance or alert 911.

So, with this in mind, I just called Fitbit and provided them with the details of my idea and the person who took my call wrote it up and will be passing along my suggestion for potential consideration.

Am hoping that Fitbit will seriously consider doing something meaningful along these lines. It could help save some lives.

341 Comments
JohnnyLad
First Steps

Someone's probably already said this but I would find an alert or alarm when you're falling (or have fallen) asleep a useful function. Might be useful for people who work nights...?

Moderator Edit: Labels

Status changed to: Not currently planned
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This is an interesting idea, but I don't think that it's right for us.

One thing that you may find helpful is is the silent alarm feature found on all of our trackers except the Zip. Click here for more information about how to manage silent alarms.

SimonGoldenberg
First Steps

I came here to make the same suggestion. I was drifting off to sleep in a long meeting. I thought it would be helpful to me if my FitBit (Charge 2) could vibrate when it detected that I fell asleep during the day. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I am a retired RN with more than my share of health problems. I saw that the new Apple watch will alert 911 if not disabled within (?) 60 sec after noting a fall. I do not wish to change to Apple products for a myriad of reasons. And since vertigo is a problem for me, but I still like to walk the dog, etc., this could be very useful for me & potentially many others with problems which could cause falls but who are still fairly able bodied. Thank you.

Moderator Edition: Updated title for clarity

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding a fall detection feature on Fitbit devices. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Thank you again for your participation in the Community forums. 

derekmski101
Base Runner

It would be cool if the Fitbit Vera and Ionic had Fall Detection like the Apple Watch.  I realize they don't have cellular capabilities so it would only be able to do anything like notify emergency authorities or family/friends if your phone was nearby.  This is a merely a suggestion, hold the comments about using life alert or alert1.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Oh I agree. This needs to be a thing. 

CorgiTales
First Steps

This would be such a huge help to many older people.  It would broaden your market considerably. 

Daykin
Stepping Up

A brilliant idea which could save lives 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @morganbrown.

Thank you very much for sharing your idea. I could definitely see how this could be very useful for all sorts of users and even save lives as mentioned above.

Let's see what others have to say about it. 

Daykin
Stepping Up
And sell more Fitbits! 
JeanPhilippeBou
First Steps

With bluetooth connexion many things can be done !, use messenger link, use sms. If I can receave notification from call. I can play music, I could use to send a registered message to a specific person !!

cstreet
First Steps

As an equestrian, fall detection would be so valuable. I recently had a fall and it would have been very helpful for me, especially since I was knocked out for about 15 minutes. Luckily, I (somehow) made it back to the barn where there were people and I went to the ER (I'm fine!). I don't personally want to replace my Ionic with the Apple watch, but I might because of this feature.

Walkersjf
First Steps

I love my Fitbit. I don’t need all the features of an Apple Watch with cellular features but due to a health issue I would like a fitness watch that I can tell to call 911 or by pressing a button. So if I take the trash out, i.e., I don’t need my cell for the just in case. Rather my Fitbit is always on or nearby so can call for help away from my cell phone. Just this 1 extra feature would be reassuring!

Ashley28
First Steps

Apple watch has a feature called "hard fall detection " where if it detects you have fallen it will contact your emergency contacts and possibly call 9-11. That feature has saved lives, this is a must have feature for ALL smart watches not just apple!

Lablover001
First Steps

Please update to include this! So many lives could be saved with this feature. Thank you! 

Kabrina56
Recovery Runner

I just saw a FB post about a man being rescued after a fall off a mountain bike way off the beaten path.   He was knocked unconscience and the apple watched called 911.  What an awesome feature.  Even if Fitbit could somehow notify pre-loaded contacts in a fall situation it would be awesome.  And give the location of the fall?  

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Was this ever implemented?

CorgiTales
First Steps
I would buy one!!Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
CorgiTales
First Steps
I don't think so. Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Kabrina56
Recovery Runner
By Apple it was on their Iwatch. I was hoping ionic would update software to offer this service.

Sent from my iPhone
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Ashley28 and @Lablover001 , thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having a hard fall option or one that would alert the emergency services, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is currently under "Reviewed by moderator" status. This helps maintain the Community and the Feature Suggestion board more organized. 

The.tx.freds
Jogger

This would be an excellent addition to the ionic. It would greatly expand your market as well as avoid the exodus of existing ionic users. 

Missy44
First Steps

Apple can detect hard fall alert 911 and alert your er contact!

I'm almost ready to switch... As imI not getting any younger.

Jessie1R
First Steps

Absolutely!  Even if we had to pay per use to connect to cell towers, it would be worth it. I don’t fall that often. I would want someone to come looking for me if I did. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.