Fitbit CLI for SDK for Fitbit OS apps (Command-Line Tools)

A command-line tool that will allow developers to compile their applications and install them locally to their Fitbit Ionic. This would be as an alternative to the cloud-based Fitbit Studio. Preferably with an emulator but I'm sure we'll take what we can get! A "spiritual successor" to the Pebble Command Line Tool. I'd imagine the MVP list commands would look like:

• new-project
  • install
  • build
  • logs

Update: I want to draw attention to the Emulator Feature Suggestion, you should vote for that too.

30 Comments
ishotjr
Jogger

I would love to see this too - while cloud-based IDEs are a fantastic way to get started, I find CLI tools critical to my workflow.  Emulator seems like a necessity for both, so perhaps that should be its own request? 🙂

cltsang
Stepping Up

CLI plus emulator is essential to serious automated testing.

cynorg
Recovery Runner

Definitely - cloud based requires that I'm on the internet, and requires that my code be out in a publicly accessible place, which limits both my IDE as well as where I'm storing my code.  I absolutely understand a cloud-first approach, but if implemented in a similar vein to CloudPebble - it should be straightforward enough to extract the underlying CLI/build processes, and enable those special customizations that we all want or need ( build scripts, generators, ignore files for private API keys and things, pre/post processing, bundling, etc.)

hbehrens
Jogger

I'd like to use a local toolchain to work on my projects. It would be fine with me if the CLI requires a cloud-connection (e.g. uses hosted services to compile, sign, and load to the device) to perform its job.

allan175
Tempo Runner

I much prefer a local CLI development environment.

mlindgren
Runner

Yes, please. The cloud-based IDE is decent, but I really miss being able to use Git and my own text editor.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed as we definitely agree it would be a great tool for developers. I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration.

Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

gozumi
Jogger

This would also solve the issue of there not currently being a way to easily "version control" the source code.

Providing this SDK would allow developers to work within the environments that we are familiar with, greatly increasing our productivity. I'm sure it wouldn't be long before plugins for popular editors like VS code and Sublime started springing up.

sovanyio
Jogger

Hm post == vote?

If so, 👍x∞

skiddy56
Runner

Just downloaded the simulator.  That's helpful.  Thanks.  Please continue the good work and provide the sdk needed to develop in tools like Visual Studio, Eclipse etc.

I don't know why there would be any question as to IF you should do this.  I can't imagine that you believe you could offer a tool as powerful or as useful as VS or Eclipse.  And version control is completely missing.  If you want developers to develop robust and full featured applications, enable  us to use the tools we're familiar with.

I just realized I don't see a way to import a project.  Or have libraries shared across projects...

Fragwyz
Jogger

:thumbsup: to this. Not being able to use Github for versioning & co-operation is incredibly painful.

snoophippo
First Steps

Plz add this. Trying to collaborate with people on an app but the web ide is not enough.

jessemillar
Jogger

I would very much like this as well. Easier version control and the ability to use Vim would make me much more likely to develop serious things for the Fitbit.

nebstr
First Steps

I think having an offline workflow is essential if you want to get any kind of momentum with developers. I can't even see a way to use Git with Fitbit Studio. How am I supposed to build an app without version control?

litetaker
Tempo Runner

login_failed.png

^^  This issue right here is reason #1 we need this CLI! We cannot tie down our ability to write code based on whether a web app is running or not!

gozumi
Jogger

Hi fit bit Developer Studio guys - Do you have an update on wether this feature is coming or not?

jhasselbring
First Steps

One of the biggest factors why certain development community thrives is how easily the community can share, collaborate, test codes.

Look how android, ios, node etc are able to get big so fast.

osv
Jogger

+1 - something like Fitbit Studio is great for simple, one-man apps without code review, but some kind of integration with source control (e.g., GitHub) is vital to serious integrations. Actually, I could even live with using Fitbit Studio if there was an import option (complementing the export option) for existing code, though of course a CLI is best. In the meantime perhaps another option is to add a Chrome extension that will read project files from the local file system instead of from Studio servers - that seems like a quicker option on your end to avoid having to rewrite the whole emulator/device interconnectivity stack.

pinmj001
Jogger

All non-developers out there maybe also give this a vote because being restricted to the online fitbit dev environment is only going to hamper people's willingness to develop apps for the fitbit. 

kegbuna
Recovery Runner

I see this is on the roadmap but the state of this feature request is still "Under Consideration". Has there been any progress in determining the feasibility and priority of this request? I personally think it'd be a huge step in improving the developer experience for Fitbit OS app developers.

franzsilva
First Steps

Hey Team Fitbit. I wouldn't mind helping out with this CLI project, I've helped create Developer tools internally for the company I work for. Also I would think an integration with VSCODE First would be the way to go. 

If you want me to help just shoot me an email. 

Franz Silva

https://twitter.com/franzssilva

spandel
Stepping Up

This! Definitely this. I just got a Versa about a week ago, and am surprised about two things. How easy it was to get started building apps for it, and how weird it is that there isn't a local development option at all. Obviously you guys understand why this would be a good idea, and I hope it is not just a consideration for you, but something you prioritize. If Fitbit is really going to compete with for example Wear OS, it needs more apps. a possibility to setup a "real" development environment(version control, tests, IDE, team work, etc..) is really required to reach this goal.

Its pretty awkward to build anything bigger as it is now.

ihassin
Recovery Runner

totally in favour of this, of course. Git/testing framework/intellij plugin/cli. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

We are super excited to announce that we just launch the Command Line Interface (CLI) tools for Fitbit OS development. More details in the CLI guide in the documentation.

ishotjr
Jogger

Nice work!!! Between this and the emulator, I believe that all of my dev needs have been met!! 😍👌

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.