Fitbit trackers for kids

It would be awesome if fitbit made a tracker for kids. Something like the Garmin Vivofit JR. Maybe make it fun like the Leapfrog Leapband. The fitbit app could be changed to have a family setting so people can set up sub-profiles for their children. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has a child with a lot of interest in fitness trackers.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity & labels

62 Comments
BiankaA
Jogger

Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is well, I really hope the consider the idea given in the beginning. I would hope they come up with a durable and cost effective solution. I personally have the Fitbit HR 2 and it was around $150+tax not everyone can afford three of those. It would be nice for them to focus on a simple but durable Fitbit with some of the features such steps,heart rate, water intake, sweet consumption lol and exercise motivation. ect. Lets hope someone does not innovate it first. I know some have tried and they are ok but I would like to stick with what i know works.

Thank you all for your replies and also ideas.

Happy Friday Stay Blessed! ❤️

Bianka

SilberStar
Recovery Runner

Would you guys please create a fitbit that has a lasting battery of one year & durable for kids? Possibly waterproof or water resistant. My kids want their own fitbits to look like mommy and daddy and right now they use our flex but it's too big for their writs and not very comfortable on their ankles. I would truly appreciate it. Thank you. Also, if there could be a family setting for if and when you might do this to manage kids profiles and steps on one account? This way I only need one account instead of multiple. 

P.S. my kids are 2.5y and 4y

Moderator edit: Added Labels

Sbkins00
First Steps

I think making fitbits specifically for kids- kid sizes, colors, designs, would be great.  It would be even better if Fitbit could partner with other companies to offer prizes to kids for achieving certain amounts of active minutes.  This would actually encourage healthy lifestyles for children by giving them fun and challenging goals.  I understand that there could be some legal challenges when trying to set-up accounts for young children, but surely there is some way this could be handled.  We have to do something to make exercise more attractive to kids and I do not think all the commercials reminding kids (who are already watching t.v.) to be eat healthy and be more active are the answer.  We need to help them associate activity with positive and tangible rewards!

kcall2
Jogger

I have said this ever since I got my Fitbit. My 8 year daughter and 4 year old son are constantly bugging us to get them one, so we can do family challenges and compete against each other. I sent a message to the Fitbit facebook page and received a pretty crappy message back. Honestly, if I wasn't so addicted to my Fitbit they would have lost a customer due to the lack of customer service. This is a huge market that I think a lot of these companies are missing. They obviously don't want to hear it because I was sent a dismissive message and told to post my suggestion to this community so others could vote on it!

crazylash
Recovery Runner

Fitbit needs to make fitbits that fit smaller wrists in general. I am an adult female and there is no band that fits women with smaller bone structure. 

pgorantla
First Steps

Introduce kidbit with replacement straps. The major benefit of using a fitness tracker is motivation. By setting goals, getting feedback and being rewarded, kids are encouraged to do more, whether it’s getting off the couch or improving their performance on the field.Trackers for young children make a game of fitness, using characters to motivate and measuring play instead of steps or distance. Fitness trackers can motivate kids when they’re young, ensuring that they’ll always make fitness a priority throughout their lives.

MarnieAU
Jogger

I also really wish FitBit would release a band for kids.
Everytime I ask someone - a friend or instore - about a FitBit for kids they all direct me to the Garmin Vivo - which is GREAT as its got fun kids bands and is kid focused etc - it truly is targeted at children... however we are a family of FitBit-er and the kids will want to be able to get in on our weekly step challenges and comparing things on the app... which they wont be able to do if they end up with a Garmin...
Be great if they could also then have children focused challenges to make it fun for the youngers. (our direct family is a 9 and 14 year old) but in the larger circle of family talking about these there is about 12 children from 6-15 that are wanting these now that a large group of the parents, aunts, grandparents are all getting them.

Scotty06
Jogger

Would love for fitbit to make a tracker for kids, my 11 year old daughter would love to become more active but £99 seems too expensive. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Due to laws, regulations, and privacy issues  in the USA with the storiing information related to children, Fitbit has decided not to pursue this avenue.

.see https://www.fitbit.com/legal/terms-of-service

If you do a search you will find that two companies make trakers specifically for children.  One even has real time tracking abiity.Screenshot_2017-10-16-00-15-11.png

crazylash
Recovery Runner

For those that think you can just put an adult size FB on a kid, I will say that's not true. Kids have smaller wrists and FB's design of the core component (regardless of band) is meant for larger wrists. I know this because I am a female adult with small wrists and there is not one banded fitbit that I can wear comfortably. If they made one for kids, maybe I could wear that! So, another vote for a kids version! 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Good idea. Thank you very much for sharing it in here. We look forward to hearing what other Community members think!

Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @LowlyBunni and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion! We’re happy to let you know that we have released Fitbit Ace, for kids 8 years and up. Fitbit Ace tracks steps, active minutes and sleep as well as reminders to move, goal celebrations and badges. It is showerproof and has a battery life of up to 10 days - find out more hereThank you for sharing your ideas and enthusiasm with the community.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.