Weekly Mystery Challenge or Random pairings

To mix things up, perhaps a "Mystery Challenge" for 2 or more people could be created.

What this could be, once the challenge has been accepted by the joining players, by a certain time, the mystery challenge would then be revealed. These challenges could be who can get the most steps within a specified time, a certain number of flights, who acquired their water intake each day, food intake, etc. or a combination of these. The duration of the challenge could vary from week to week, from 1 day, or 2 days, or even 5 days long.The possibilities are endless.

A trophy, medal or ribbon should be awarded to the winner as well.

This idea would be fun & exciting because people would never know what to expect. This has the potential to be a game changer.

mystery.jpg

Moderator edit: labels & title.

MICHAEL | ONTARIO, CANADA
Charge HR, Charge 2, Aria - iOS, Windows 10
44 Comments
lisa5589
First Steps

That's a cool & original idea! I like that.

Kav2001
Recovery Runner

We have all been there. We want to have a good challenge for the week but wife is busy at work and co-workers out of town etc.

So my feature suggestion is a random pool for challengers

Fitbit looks at the users averages and will create a random challenge with 10 similar people who all opt in

Benefits include making new rivals and helping to motivate you when your inner circle is all still in Christmas mode

random_username
Recovery Runner

@Kav2001 wrote:

Fitbit looks at the users averages and will create a random challenge with 10 similar people who all opt in

This sounds like a great idea. Better yet, maybe the app can use an algorithm that pairs potential challengers within 2000 steps of each other.

Am I missing the point, here?

Kav2001
Recovery Runner

@random_username lol @ the name 🙂

Nope I assume it is easier to keep people in same time zones but the only catch I want is that Fitbit looks at peoples last 30 (?) day averages

Cause no point in pairing a 5,000 stepper against a 50,000 stepper right?

random_username
Recovery Runner

@Kav2001 I guess you're right. I like the idea, though there may be a few kinks to work out:

The average step total under your name [e.g. "Averages 9600 steps per day"] is based off of your 7-day average, so you might want to pair them up that way. This will help in a sense that they know who they're up against by viewing their profile.

Also, how would people be able to enter or exit the "challenger pool," and how many pools would you be able to join at once?

Kav2001
Recovery Runner

It would need to be some kind of opt in system (don't want Fitbit pairing randoms up who do not want to join a weekly / weekend / daily challenge)

Same limits as exist now, just the random challenge would take the place of one of the regular challenges

(I do think many people join multiple pools though because the 10 rivals are not enough for some people but thats another thread)

random_username
Recovery Runner

I have an idea on how this would work [bear with me]:

How about the pool would be like a challenge, in that you may enter the challenge and it pops up on the challenges section of the app. This way, you can join a separate challenge or another challenger pool. The random pairings would be every 24-48 hours, depending on time zones, challengers available, etc. The maximum number of people going up against each other should be 3 [just in case of an odd number of participants]. Each user can specify the type of challenge they want to be in [Daily Showdown, Workweek Hustle, etc.]. That way, everyone's satisfied with the challenge placed into. 

How does this sound to you?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

lizd1348
Recovery Runner

Name: Secret Agent fitbit (SAF)

Objective:

Is to compete against mystery users who are within 100 steps / stairs etc of your weekly average.

Sign-up:

Instead of playing against your friends list you would sign up thru fitbit and randomly be placed in a group of 10 users that you don’t know (thus the mystery user reference above).  The users would also be in your same time zone.

When Viewing Under Challenges:

You would see alphabetically the 10 players with NO idea what place your in (Thus the name Secret Agent badge)

The Winner would be revealed at the end of the challenge.   (Could be 1 day but 7 days would be better!  Why not Mon-Sun, a little different than the rest of the badges)

If you're in it to win it ...Then you've gotta work for it!

Point of this badge:

Is for the competitive AND for those who want to better their performance, in doing the challenges I’ve seen this:

• One person is always in first place, heads and shoulders average above the rest.
  • Others spy, get started and then don’t log in so they can jump ahead and win the challenge at the last minute.

Sooooooo if you really want the badge for your collection, or just found your competitive side you would have to really work at getting this badge and not just invite users from your list whose averages are lower than yours.

IDEA SUMMARY:

First you must become a “Spy in Training” by earning (1st place) these five badges:

• Steps (Agent Stride)
  • Floors (Agent Towers)
  • Miles (Agent Roads)
  • Calories burned (Agent Dash)
  • Active Minutes (Agent Time)

Once you earn (1st place) in all 5 badges above you get the 6th and most important badge Secret Agent fibit!

Does this mean if you’re in first place for steps you’d also be first place for miles? – in some cases you might have both the most steps and most miles…depending on your stride, right? To really make it both fair and a challenge; users would only be allowed to earn one badge at a time, concentrating on what you’re going after!  This way there are no double wins or easy outs… 5 badges 5 separate challenges. 

Hope you like the idea!

Moderator edit: added label

Nikki-B
Stepping Up

Great idea!!

josie1711
Stepping Up

I think this is a brilliant idea, as a mother of a severely disabled child, who recently is often home poorly, I struggle to get anywhere in challenges so often don’t take part, unless it’s solo challenges and I’m starting to find those rather tedious and boring.  Doing a secret agent challenge would be great as I’d be able to be put against people who are doing roughly the same steps as me per day therefore giving me more opportunity to win something.

dbrewood
Base Runner

Love the idea!

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I think this is a great idea! Let's see what other users think.

Arielle784
First Steps

Love the idea.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Great idea!  I have seen the same thing in challenges.  It's a bit discouraging. 

Heid
First Steps

Great way to motivate yourself with other Fitbit users and connect to be healthy and fit together as a community 

wendy1134
First Steps

I think it's a nice idea

rarejule
Jogger

Awesome idea!

Boing07
Jogger

Fantastic idea. Get on it devs get it implemented 

AnnaZhang
Strider

Fabulous,  give you thumb up! 

DBFitch
Jogger

I love it!!!!   Let’s do it!

@lizd1348wrote:

Name: Secret Agent fitbit (SAF)

Objective:

Is to compete against mystery users who are within 100 steps / stairs etc of your weekly average.

Sign-up:

Instead of playing against your friends list you would sign up thru fitbit and randomly be placed in a group of 10 users that you don’t know (thus the mystery user reference above).  The users would also be in your same time zone.

When Viewing Under Challenges:

You would see alphabetically the 10 players with NO idea what place your in (Thus the name Secret Agent badge)

The Winner would be revealed at the end of the challenge.   (Could be 1 day but 7 days would be better!  Why not Mon-Sun, a little different than the rest of the badges)

If you're in it to win it ...Then you've gotta work for it!

Point of this badge:

Is for the competitive AND for those who want to better their performance, in doing the challenges I’ve seen this:

• One person is always in first place, heads and shoulders average above the rest.
  • Others spy, get started and then don’t log in so they can jump ahead and win the challenge at the last minute.

Sooooooo if you really want the badge for your collection, or just found your competitive side you would have to really work at getting this badge and not just invite users from your list whose averages are lower than yours.

IDEA SUMMARY:

First you must become a “Spy in Training” by earning (1st place) these five badges:

• Steps (Agent Stride)
  • Floors (Agent Towers)
  • Miles (Agent Roads)
  • Calories burned (Agent Dash)
  • Active Minutes (Agent Time)

Once you earn (1st place) in all 5 badges above you get the 6th and most important badge Secret Agent fibit!

Does this mean if you’re in first place for steps you’d also be first place for miles? – in some cases you might have both the most steps and most miles…depending on your stride, right? To really make it both fair and a challenge; users would only be allowed to earn one badge at a time, concentrating on what you’re going after!  This way there are no double wins or easy outs… 5 badges 5 separate challenges. 

Hope you like the idea!

GenaBD
First Steps

Great idea!! My challenges are always the same people and the same people always win so it’s less motivating.

GorillaGirl79
Recovery Runner

Love your idea! Fun and motivating!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

How do I sign up for this love the idea 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.