Add the "Hide Me"/hide steps from friends back

I would like the hide me feature to be added back to the options because when I am injured I don't like to have my friends being able to see my steps.  I like the option to be hidden!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

86 Comments
Juliannayy
Recovery Runner

It would be great if the private parts of a profile simply didn't show, instead of having entire sections that just say "...is private" or "is visible only to friends". This would make for a much cleaner profile and less obrtusive when sharing.

Moderator edit: Labels 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would like to re-add the "hide me" option so that while I am injured I can be hidden from my friends rankings.

THANKS!

Phunster
Recovery Runner

May want to add something about the 'friend rankings' to your subject so others can find it as well.  Voted! Thanks!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

DONE!  Thanks!!!

DNK2
Recovery Runner

Agreed - please bring this back!  I am very disappointed that this feature was removed.  I understand that most users appreciate this feature and thrive on it, and I fully support that, but I liked having the option to hide rankings.  For me, it sometimes causes anxiety about trying to be at the top, and it's nice to disable this at turns so I can focus just on my own internal goals.  I wound up needing to remove all of my friends from my FitBit instead 😞

Angelsnow
First Steps
Please add the hide me feature back or make it optional for certain friends you don't want to delete
surfnkd
Stepping Up
Please add this feature back. Everyone takes vacation now and again not to mention injuries. I still have half on my friends hidden. We are a family of 7 fitbits and time is coming to re-up with new equipment. I'm believe this will push us off of fitbits and onto a competitor's gear.
zoe
Jogger

This feels like a deal breaker to me. We should have the option of not being ranked with other people. 

LittleWhole
Jogger

I SOOOOOO agree! I want my rankings to be private!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I think this is an interesting idea. I've seen some users asking about this on the forums, so I think it could benefit a lot of users who want to be hidden on the friends ranking. This feature will be useful for users who might want to have their rankings private. Thanks so much for your suggestion. 

SharonKP
Jogger

Yes, bring back the unrank feature. I have CLL and I don't need my friends all seeing when I'm having a bad week. It's demoralizing.

SharonKP
Jogger

I agree, please bring back the unrank feature.

steph_barnum5
First Steps

Please bring back the 'Hide me' option! 👍🏻

Tango-Mike
Jogger

I am trying to train with my friends around the world who are walking the camino with me - they cannot see my training but I can see theirs and the whole idea of buying my blaze was to be able to do this, feeling very disappointed.  Please bring back the option as a permanent feature.

emmanem
Recovery Runner

i want to option so i can select that im visible to my friends. must have had it set to hid when i first joined fitbit but now that i have started adding friends it shows me as inactive to them and there is no way to change it

MikeyThumbs
First Steps

Please add back the "hide me / show me" option to the dashboard.  I am a new user and I am being shown as inactive to other friends on my list.  Same thing for my wife on my list, she is shown as inactive although her options are set to share with friends..  Doesn't seem like the privacy settings work at all and a little disappointing.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please restore the hide me/ show me option to friend ranking.  I am showing as inactive.  Very annoying as I'm not!

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I would like the hide me feature to be added back to the options because when I am injured I don't like to have my friends being able to see my steps.  I like the option to be hidden!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

bsgsix
Jogger

Please add the hide me feature back. So many people would like to see it, I keep getting emails about it on a thread I had posted (with a LOT of users asking for the ability to hide or be unhidden - they were hidden when the feature was removed so now their stats can't be seen, which doesn't motivate them!), and it's a simple fix. A moderator already told us what happened to the feature. Adding it back would be quite easy. And it would be the kind thing to do for those of us who try to walk 5-10K a day but sometimes suffer from injury or illness. As a person with recurrent cancer, there are some days when I cannot walk even 1000 steps, and it feels demeaning. Why should I feel that way on a device/platform designed to motivate me? So please add it back. Thank you.

judeobscure
First Steps

Regardless of the reasons some may want to their rankings visible, others clearly do not. It should be a choice - as with the other privacy option settings. Fitbit should allow users FULL control over all of their information and if it is private/visible to their 'friends list'. In this case, users should have the ability to keep their so-called "rankings" private. Please restore this feature.

TOTESROPES
First Steps

This is bad UX/UI at its very worst. Why have an option, which allows users to change settings, record those settings and then remove the feature so settings cannot be resolved. 

Been around the houses with this and so many issues with this not working being reported on these boards and social, Fitbit need to pull their finger out as this core functionality is a reason so many users invested in the first place.

Sort it out. 

Superdooper
Recovery Runner

There is no option to keep the active daily set count private.   Everything else in profile has an option to make private.  I cannot begin to understand why.    My friends are more competitive nowadays and I have been ill so I want to withdraw from the leaderboard, either temporarily or permanently.  Languishing near the bottom does not motivate, it does the opposite.  Please fix Fitbit so that the active daily step count can become private just like everything else.

Martywalker
Keeping Pace

I would like the feature added back because I  some of my friends are show as unranked to me and between each other and there is no way to change this.

Moderator Edit: Format

Srisraman
First Steps

This is frustrating.  The ranking feature worked on my daughter's new Flex 2 the first week back in March.  After that it stopped working.  She has been pounding 10,000 steps a day and I still have a ranking on my Blaze with just 5,000 steps a day.  She wants to show everyone that she is beating her dad.  Poor girl!

brianoc
Jogger

Agree add the hide from the rankings back it was very important to me!

Magpie01
Stepping Up

In such a connected world having the ability to have privacy and disconnect from time to time is important . I am sad to see that you have removed the option to set daily steps average to private . It is enough to consider switching to garmin . I do love the Fitbit app ease of use but I also love my privacy from time to time . Please give this feature back .

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.