Increase Font Size for Charge 3

I have just received my Charge 3, my first Fitbit. I had held off on the Charge 2 to wait for the 3’s larger display. At 47 I need glasses to read small text and would like to be able to increase the font size on notifications and other features.

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

280 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for your suggestion. It sounds great. It might become in a very popular request, so watch this space for updates.

Dan5000
Jogger

Ridiculous that a fitness tracker would have the step counter so small on the watch screen.  Only five watch faces to choose from and the number of steps is hard to read on all of them!  major fail. I will probably try to return it. 

fegriffith
Base Runner

I totally agree on the font size issue and have been vocalizing everywhere I can.  Not only do I want to see an option to turn on an increased font size mode, but if that were to be offered hand-in-hand with the ability to "tick" (check) which stats are actually displayed on the Charge 3 I'd have far less stats to look at that I don't really care to see on my Charge (I take the time to go to the web for real review/analysis)...AND lastly, I'd be happy to have only one stat per swipe if that is what it would take to allow for an increased font size. 

But first and foremost, the font size is a real issue for those of us with older eyes that use reading glasses.  Keep in mind the Charge 2 is pretty workable right now for some of us with the aging eyes issue, which is why I went back to it and returned the Charge 3.

Cherriot
Recovery Runner

Please give option to increase font size as my aging eyes can not make out the steps/HR on the clock face, nor can I read notifications very easily.  I'm not at the stage where I have to wear reading glasses all the time but with this tiny font, I have no choice.  I'm considering returning it for a different product unless something can be done about this.  More options for different clock faces with a date on it would also be a great idea.

UPDATE:  I returned my Charge 3 and got a Versa instead.  I would have kept the Charge 3 if I could read it.  It had all the functions I wanted but the font was too small.  So far I'm happy with Versa but wished it synced as well with the app as the Charge 3 does.

JohnJack941
First Steps

I agree about the font size.  The Charge 2 was readable, but the Charge 3 is disappointing.  Hopefully, there will be a quick update, otherwise I'll be forced to find another product that I can read without glasses. 

MikeSmith7
First Steps

I just received my Charge 3 yesterday afternoon. I agree with everyone else about the font size. I am 51 and very active, but it is hard to read the display. It is hard to read the steps and heart rate on the clock face display. I wish there was a way to adjust the font size to what it was on the Charge 2. Fitbit, please consider changing this. I love the new features, but want a way to be able to read it without having to put on readers. Kind of hard to do when you are working out. My Charge 2 died and I waited for this one to come out. I am considering sending this one back and getting a Charge 2 again. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I wore my new Charge 3 for the first time today.  I am able to read most things without reading glasses, but this nice big screen has way too tiny fonts on it.  I can see the time, but certainly not read heart rate, which was my reason for buying it!  I will need to return it unless the font can/will be increased.

tigereye
Keeping Pace

I love the charge 3 but would like it better if I could read the screens without glasses.

RogerWanMan
First Steps

I loved my Charge 2 and the clockface with time, date, steps and HR.  Im 46 and it was getting hard to read so i was excited to get a bigger screen on the Charge 3, but they not only made the steps counter smaller but dimmer.  Completely unreadable especially outdoors in bright light.  Please add new clock faces or options to increase font size and brightness.   

Allons-y
Stepping Up

I couldn't agree more. My one and only Fitbit until now was an old Flex. Nothing to read on it. I was looking at the Charge 2 when I heard that the Charge 3 was soon to be released and would have a larger screen (and would be waterproof--for kayaking and swimming), so I waited knowing that my eyes are getting worse and would appreciate a larger screen. I'm disappointed that I can't read my steps without reading glasses which I don't generally take with me when I'm out walking and running. I think that if the steps weren't so light a grey I might be able to see them better ("might" but I remain skeptical). When I scroll to the stats I can read it pretty well, but not on the clock face. As others have suggested, I'd be fine with only having one stat per screen...or just the time and steps on the watch face if it meant making the steps a little larger font. Fitbit, it may surprise you, but I'd bet a large number of your customer base has eyes that aren't 20 anymore. Just sayin'.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree, but I think they just need to resign the clock faces with better fonts and better use of the space.  I made up some ideas... I think mine are much better than the 5 clock faces that they currently have as an option.

Charge 3 clock face 3.png

Notafraid
First Steps

I am so disappointed in the charge 3. I have been a loyal User of the Fitbit one which I belive is no longer in use BUT I could at least  read the numbers on it without my glasses. I can't belive that developers did not think of this. The senior market for fitness trackers is growing

but If I can't read the #s while I am exercising why have it? Off to the Apple Store and post office to return my charge 3. What a disappointment, lucky I still have my Fitbit one

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I have just received my Charge 3, my first Fitbit. I had held off on the Charge 2 to wait for the 3’s larger display. At 47 I need glasses to read small text and would like to be able to increase the font size on notifications and other features.

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I see many users having the same issue as myself and was somewhat excited when my Charge 3 completed a firmware update today, but nothing changed. Can the moderator confirm if this is being looked at seriously? If not I think I will be returning my Fitbit and considering a Samsung Watch or Garmin.

I loved my Charge 2. Replaced it with a Charge 3 so I could use it while swimming. Sadly, the Charge 3 has different clock faces which list steps in smaller fonts which suck for older eyes and do not include stairs.

Request Charge 3 Clock Faces include Charge 2 ones which didn't use smaller font sizes and had all the info on the first screen. See links to images below showing differences.

Thanks

Charge 2 image 

Charge 3 image

Dbybee
Jogger

The display need to make the steps bigger and have the option to take the clock  out .

bellegi
First Steps

I just got my Charge 3 yesterday and I am also very disappointed.  I thought upgrading from my Charge 2 to Charge 3 with their feature of larger screen size would have allowed us to get bigger font on the screen.  There is plenty of space on the screen to display larger font.  I would also be fine with less information on each screen to have more screen to display the information in a bigger font.  I really don't want to change to a bigger watch.  I like the size of the Charge 3 but there needs to be an option to have a bigger font or different screen display options.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Dbybee, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @EnriqueApproved, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Klawrencelaw
First Steps

This is ridiculously frustrating. I’m ready to completely punt on Fitbit devices if this is not resolved quickly. This was supposed to be the best device ever and it is completely unreadable.    I know at least five other people who purchased them and are all about to return them

JaneenC
Recovery Runner

YES!! I just got the Charge 3 and am already considering taking it back because the font is ridiculously small for all stats. Please fix this ASAP. What I liked about the Charge 2 was that you could tap on the face and get each SINGLE stat instead of 2 stats at once. Please replicate this (and make the font bigger). Having to put on reading glasses just to see my steps and heart rate is a bad design feature.

It would seem that Fitbit did not realize that a lot of older people like the Charge 2 and now 3.  Hopefully, they get this worked out real soon.

In the meantime please get people to vote this up so it gets the attention it needs to get fixed promptly.

Moderators, can you let us know once Fitbit decides to resolve this issue?

Thanks for all you do

Oh, and I vote for Screen 7 (shown above earlier in the thread and below) with the stairs at the bottom instead of the weather

Screen 7 mock up

pdperry23
Jogger

Agree here as well. All don’t needs to be scaled better and definitely increase the smaller font. Also need to brighten the dim gray scale font. Too hard to see if not in a dark setting. Please Fitbit update soon!

May need to go back to Charge 2. 

tickledpink8
First Steps

I am 48 and I, too, cannot read the screen. I don’t wear my glasses while running, and I cannot read anything in the smaller font...when I need the tracker most!! Super frustrating!!

ltrhead
First Steps

Echoing the same comment... the font (specifically for text/email notifications) is ridiculously tiny.   The charge2 had a readable font even if it did have to scroll across the screen.  I can live with that.   Please bring that option back..

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.