Lock Touchscreen to Clockface

I'm finding over the course of the day and while sleeping my Surge's touchscreen becomes switched from the watch face to one of the other screens. It would be very helpful if there was an ability to hold down one of the physical buttons to lock the touchscreen on the watch face and repeat to unlock. This would prevent accidental navigation away from the watch face. Please consider adding this functionality in a future firmware update. Thank you.

Moderator Edit: 

The latest Surge firmware update added a function which reverts Surge to its clock screen after 15 seconds. Some users would prefer to continuously view another data tile, such as Steps, Heart Rate, or Distance. This is no longer possible for more than 15 seconds outside of starting an Exercise log.

This existing Feature Request represents a good solution to the issue, and I encourage anyone who might be interested in this new feature to vote or comment in this thread.

929 Comments
misteredf
Recovery Runner

^^^^

The only interface changed needed would be a selection to turn off the touch using the buttons.  When you need/want to use touch again you would use the same button(s) to toggle it back on. 

It would simply be a screen LOCK.

If you need to access the interface turn touch on.  When you want to use it as a watch and not have to swipe back to the clock screen every time you want to see the time you would turn touch (lock the screen) off.

Needs to be a very simple option.  Touch capability (aka screen lock) on or off.    In the winter, with long sleeves the watch is always going to another screen and lighting up the backlight killing the battery.

JPCharme
First Steps

I find that I have to navigate my Surge back to the home screen due to accidental swipes.  I would love to see a lock feature or a timed feature (presets and custom) that resets the display back to my screen of choice.

ShimmyD
Recovery Runner

You are suggesting something different to me.

I want to use my watch without using the touch screen at all. Think about wearing gloves or having dirty hands. In my case, due to medical causes, my fingers aren't that good at swiping. I find buttons much more usable. Also I don't like having to clean smears off the screen all the time.

I have buttons, I want to use them. Currently, to change between Run/Exercise/Alarms/Settings requires a screen swipe. The upper right button does nothing on this menu. It could be added as a swipe right-to-left substitute.

The same applies in settings for the vertical scroll list of options.

[edit]

Dispite misteredf's disagreement, I still think my usage case applies.

Turning off touch screen = cannot use device.

A small change to the button functions in menus means

Turning off touch screen = use buttons instead.

misteredf
Recovery Runner

I see, however that's a complety different issue than the purpose of the original post in this topic.  Unfortunately most all of these types of "advanced" devices are touch screen in some shape or form.  I beleive Garmin makes an older model that has no touch screen but also doesn't have all the features of the Surge and the buttons are a real PITA to use (I had one of those as well)..

While I can appreciate your situation (I have severe arthritis in my hands but fortunately my fingers can still swipe the screen) it wasn't the main intent of this thread.  You might want to start a separate thread for your specific concern.

Your concern would probably require a totally different device with a totally different design and method of operation because like you state this doesn't use the buttons to go between the various screens, just touch.  I can't imagine them totally changing the way the device works.

sa_zu
Recovery Runner

it would be great to have display locked on the clock screen

GoDark
Recovery Runner

My Surge watch face keeps changing when it rubs against a shirt, sweater, or coat sleeve.  I want the watch face when not exercising, but it seems it wonders to othere displays.  Suggest that users be able to "freeze" the watch face to a display by tapping on the face two times and likewise "unfreeze" the watch face by doing it again.  Perhaps a symbol of a lock could be put in a corner to indicate a locked face.

JPOB
Jogger

Firmware update to lock the clockface on the Surge. For the love of god. So sick of looking at my watch and not seeing the time. 

Moderator Edit: Removed expletive.

MarkCam
Recovery Runner

Would be great- suprised it isnt available already

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Would love this!!
Mikaelz
Jogger
This is why im gonna sell mine and Write **ahem**ty rewievs in all famouus tech blogs..sick of this shii...
Mikaelz
Jogger
This is why im gonna sell mine and Write shii rewievs in all famouus tech blogs..sick of this shii...
Opivali
Jogger
I think this is more a setting that should be in the app. Maybe as a default that you choose for non workout with a separate one for sleep and workouts. Then it can be set as a go back to default after xx amount of time.
stavrosd2006
Jogger

I agree, lock is a good feature i would like to see among with more watch faces,like pebble.

i wish surge was waterproof and not just water resistant.

misteredf
Recovery Runner

Not only does it go to another screen but whenever it is "accidently" swiped it turns the backlight on which runs down the battery much faster.  When I am out for a cold weather run and I have multiple layers on (sometimes 3 shirts) they are constanly activating the BL and changing the clock screen.

A VERY simple lock method would be to press 2 buttons at once because nothing else (that I am aware of) is done by pressing 2 buttons together at the same time.  It could lock the screen at wherever you want.  Just press 2 buttons at any screen and it will stay there.

I don't see this an an issue in warm weather when nothing is covering the watch but during the colder "long sleeve" months it is important.

Seems like a simple mod that can easily be added.

sa_zu
Recovery Runner

I agree, same thing here. 

if it goes to another screen and I have busy hands I cannot see the time. 

So yeah, locking it pressing 2 buttons would be a good solution

Dogcow
Jogger

+1

The constantly changing screen is truly annoying. A feature that allowed me to lock the clock screen (even better ANY screen) is truly needed.

Djoyn
Jogger

I like the idea of it going back to a watch after a default set amount of time, to be turned on or off in the app.  Often I find it's switched to HR or other biometric data at work that I really don't want my coworkers to read.

rich67
First Steps

Me too on the idea of it going back to a watch/time display after a default set amount of time.  Or maybe a double swipe to get it off the time display? That would be less likely to happen accidentally.

Thob86
First Steps
The default back to the watch screen would be a nice feature during daily activity tracking, something would have to be done about during exercise though.. A lock screen would still solve both problems by allowing the user to lock the Surge on a screen and prevent accidental inputs regardless of whether your daily tracking or exercising.
rich67
First Steps

How about a double tap to lock the screen to stay in the desired non-watch mode of the moment, with a default return to watch otherwise?

Roadrunner62
Powerwalker
I agree should be able to lock the clock face
easyrider
Recovery Runner
This would be a great feature as I have the same issues. I have paused runs without knowing until the end of the run, very annoying.
GotRottys
Recovery Runner

I have clocks everywhere so watch face is not important. But I would ove to lock other screens like Heartrate.

Locka capability could easily be avialble for whatever the main screen is at the moment and make everyone happy. 🙂

inoki
Walker

I want homescreen lock and want homescreen with clock and second hand and heart rate display.This would be very helpful for running.

JPOB
Jogger

Agree 1000%. Needs to be fixed!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.