Lock Touchscreen to Clockface

I'm finding over the course of the day and while sleeping my Surge's touchscreen becomes switched from the watch face to one of the other screens. It would be very helpful if there was an ability to hold down one of the physical buttons to lock the touchscreen on the watch face and repeat to unlock. This would prevent accidental navigation away from the watch face. Please consider adding this functionality in a future firmware update. Thank you.

Moderator Edit: 

The latest Surge firmware update added a function which reverts Surge to its clock screen after 15 seconds. Some users would prefer to continuously view another data tile, such as Steps, Heart Rate, or Distance. This is no longer possible for more than 15 seconds outside of starting an Exercise log.

This existing Feature Request represents a good solution to the issue, and I encourage anyone who might be interested in this new feature to vote or comment in this thread.

929 Comments
kevsu
Recovery Runner

This is regarding the Surge. I believe an option to turn off the touch screen capabilities would be nice. Since the screen is quite sensitive, I tend to find myself swipping and tapping into things by accident.  Either it is to keep the watch face at the 'clock' option or preventing from accidentally tapping the 'snooze' button, I feel like this option would come in handy.

kickinmhl
Recovery Runner

My suggestion regarding "Turn off touch screen" is this:

Provide an option that, when turned on, would require that you touch and hold for 2 seconds to enable touch screen actions.

This way the display wouldn't react to everyday interference, but would be easily activated with a touch and hold.

ratcityrain
Strider

i agree - i notice now my backlight comes on in the middle of the night because I touched the screen ha ha

Airwolf
Jogger

I support this idea and would like see a button lock feature as well.
The unwanted midnight torch happened to me already quite a few times.

misteredf
Recovery Runner

RIght  On Bro!  🙂   It's also killing the battery because each time the screen is touched the backlight is turned on which eats up battery.  

sodakar
First Steps

I don't use the touchscreen at all, except for if I go on a workout without my phone.  Any other time, I would prefer it to be a watch, as I don't use it for anything else.

As it stands, 99% of the time when I look at the screen, it's not the clock, which is what I want.

Get a Charge HR?  Well, sure, as soon as the Charge HR gets a GPS...  Until then, I'm hoping the good folks at FitBit can give me a quick way to disable the Touchscreen so I can lock down the display.

Cheers,

bfeinknopf
First Steps
My Surge tends to swipe off the Clock Screen rather easily. Often when I go to look at my watch, it has been swiped to an alternate screen. It there were a different swipe, a button push or something to better lock it on the watch screen, it would be nice.
dobaer
First Steps

At least I am not the only one who is annoyed by this. My Surge seems particularly fond of the "Calories" screen. I'd be very happy with an option that requires me to press the left button to leave the clock screen and "wake up" the touchscreen swipe functionality.

TeachTJ
Recovery Runner

It really would be nice to have an easier method to get to the clock face, especially when you wake up in the morning.  I would say my Surge is on the clock face less than half the time, and I am tempted to wear a watch now in addition to the Surge.  (That should go over well with the public)

phitbitter
First Steps

I hope the enigineers can figure out how to lock the clock screen. I work in an operating room where I must constantly record the time and it seems like everytime I check my watch it is on another screen. It is not efficient to use two hands to check the time. And it's a real pain with gloves on. 

johnnymillion
Jogger

Agreed. If I want to glance at the time, it's frequently on another screen. A choice of the main display to be lockede would be perfect.

denden22
Jogger

click the back button twice (but wait around 1 sec in the middle)

could be better though

Hunt
Jogger
I agree completely! In fact this is the entire reason I started looking for this forum.
ehowdy
First Steps

I think there should be an option to keep a single screen displayed without timing out.  It is rather annoying to have to keep pressing the button to read my heartrate while running.  Displaying the heart rate for the full duration of the wourkout would be helpful.

JoeM
First Steps

Definitely want this. Should lock on clock screen to keep it from switching by accident.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Wearing long sleeves at 'specially work, when wanting to check the time once in a while, it's always on another screen. Would be very usefull to lock the screen. Smiley Very Happy

goherd15
Recovery Runner

yes...i would like this as well.

or perhaps at least go back to the clock screen after X seconds or something

nmartyr
Keeping Pace

Easier might even be to default back to clock after a period of inactivity away from the active minute panels (so never during a run or other activity, but otherwise after a minute, back to clock).

misteredf
Recovery Runner

Just a simple "PRESS BOTH SIDE BUTTONS TOGETHER" to lock screen would be perfect.  This "watch" is driving me nuts.  No matter when I look at it is is on some other unwanted screen. I guess during the summer when I wear short sleeves it won't be AS BAD but just looking at it changes the screen!  (slight hyperbole).

ChristyMZ
Jogger
Got this for my husband for valentines day and it is back in the box. Totally a deal breaker.
janyxe
Recovery Runner

Yes! Not to mention it would probably prolong the battery life a little if we are not constantly "swiping"it.

radem
Keeping Pace

Please add an option in the settings to always return to the clock.  It should return to the clock after 1 or 2 minutes if that setting is turned on and no button press or screen swipe is detected.

Flash50k
First Steps

When wearing the Surge to my office, I'd expect to be able to glace at it for the time like any other watch.

However, the screen seems to be sensitive enough that it continually swipes right or left in the course of normal wear, meaning that at a glance it could be showing any one of the 6 screens.

It would seem to be a simple matter to add a 'lock' function to one of the two right hand buttons to stop this happening. 

Apart from that, great product guys!

TheRandy
Runner
Agree, my button down oxfords change the screen all day long, it's NEVER on the watch which is where I leave it
ShimmyD
Recovery Runner
I agree with the "option to disable touch" suggestion. It has buttons. It doesn't need a touch screen at all. One extra point is that you currently can't select all options with buttons alone so some other interface work would be required.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.