Open new wave of allowed developer to release clock face/apps with AOD

Hello all

By this messages I would like Fitbit team to enlarge the number of allowed developers to enable AOD.Today more and more cutomers do not understand why some clockfaces are not enable. But I am sure there are lots of good developers that would apply to join the AOD enbale team ( So would I :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:) So developers, please mass vote this!
14 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ceriboo, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having a new wave of allowed developer to release clock face or apps with Always-On Display with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

ceriboo
Base Runner

thank you  Lizzy

I hope i would have more votes

ceriboo
Base Runner

Only 30 votes...

McFIT_Design
Recovery Runner

@LizzyFitbit  How many votes is needed to Fitbit team take some actions?

We need to free this feature.

At this moment 90% of AOD watchfaces in the Gallery are ugly as S@!^. Some are even not readable at all.

As a designer my eyes are bleeding when I look at this.

Keeping AOD permission closed make the situation that a very few of developers who were first, and not necessarily the best, published low-quality watchfaces. And many developers with more thoughtful designs are now blocked.

But I don't care about publishing - allow at least sideload AOD watchfaces for owned device so we can use own watchfaces at own risk.

Or if you are so thrilled about warranty and device's screen durability consider:

- allow option to turn on AOD sideload for all devices with warranty passed (this shouldn't be a problem because every device have its activation date)

OR

- allow option to cancel warranty for a device and activate AOD watchfaces sideload (something like unlocking bootloader in all renowned wearable manufacturers)

Do not treat developers like idiots, please.

ceriboo
Base Runner

Up.  Hoping aod will be available on the next generation of smartwatches

ceriboo
Base Runner

@McFIT_Design  have you got news in your side?

ceriboo
Base Runner

@LizzyFitbit how many votes left please? 

MrDeliK
Recovery Runner

i had the unpleasant suprise that i can't publish even on sideload ...

Is there any news on this ?

seraphiel
Jogger

So we’re reduced to suggesting a feature which is a feature that’s just gatekept and was promised 24 months ago now? This is hilarious. This is ridiculous.

ceriboo
Base Runner

@LizzyFitbitany new about that 40 votes is not enough? it has been 1 year and no news!

seandabes
First Steps

It is really a shame that, even for personal use, we cannot use our own AOD design. Allow it!

Jbelizzle
First Steps

Is there any timeline on this?

This is HUGELY disappointing. I bought a Sense 2 specifically for the AOD, but the available AOD faces are largely awful. Like others here, I don't even need the ability to publish (though that would be nice), but just being able to side-load my own AOD face to my personal device would be enough for me (though I'm double-blocked on that for now since they released the Sense 2 without making the SDK available for it...).

ceriboo
Base Runner

Hello

Still no news from my post.... 

No feedback from fitbit for aod neither for sense 2 sdk... 

I feel abandoned

fufukatchoo
Jogger
Completely agree w/ McFIT_Design's last comment. 

I'm a huge fan of these Pixel Watch-inspired watch faces by Pietro Caputo, but their biggest flaw is that they don't have an AOD option. Digging further into this topic, I surprised to discover that this was actually an intentional limitation of the developer tools by Fitbit. The reasoning behind why there are certain low-quality watch faces with AOD-access, while high-quality watch face developers can't gain access to this feature seems arbitrary and unreasonable. Clearly these watch faces are bounds and leaps ahead of the current AOD-face landscape (see earlier screenshot for reference). 

fufukatchoo_3-1676909990322.png

There really should be a better way for developers to get access to this feature, either based on
(a) quantitative measures, such as % pixels lit or power usage when AO (based on JonFitbit 's comment on another thread)
(b) qualitative measures, such as design quality and functionality (e.g. color customization, flipping through metrics, etc) 
or even a mix of both.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.