Option to track short naps to see analysis

I think there should be a power nap option so if i want to sleep for ten or twenty minutes or so, my Fitbit will detect when I fall asleep and set a silent alarm to go off automatically at the end of the nap

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

100 Comments
r33c3
Premium User
Stepping Up

Jawbone UP has a feature called "Power Nap" that allows you to sleep for up to 45 minutes. At the very least, I'd love the ability to put my Force into nap mode and be buzzed awake 20-30 minutes later.

George007
Jogger

@r33c3 wrote:

Jawbone UP has a feature called "Power Nap" that allows you to sleep for up to 45 minutes. At the very least, I'd love the ability to put my Force into nap mode and be buzzed awake 20-30 minutes later.

I would also love this feature. I would hope the timer would not start until you were asleep and the device would somehow know this. Better still it would wake you after a predetermined amount of "uninterrupted/undisturbed" sleep"

schmaltz13
First Steps

So this is what FitBit customer support said:

Alternatively, you can use your silent alarm and set it to a time of when you want your power nap. 

But, that's not what the smart alarm on the UP does. It detects when you've fallen asleep and after a certain amount of time wakes you up so you feel refreshed. It doesn't help for us to set our own alarm because the time we take to fall asleep varies so if I set an alarm for 30 mins later and I took 20 mins to fall asleep then I've only really slept for 10 mins and that's not ideal.

So please incorporate this! The FitBit already detects sleep movements so it shouldn't be difficult to program something that will buzz after the user has fallen asleep (not tried to fall asleep) for x amount of time!

Landoperk
First Steps

I got my flex recentely only after 3 days of use I've wanted this on several occasions.

There should be a way to quickly/easily set a nap timer for the fitbit Flex.
I often want to take a nap and be awoken with the Flex vibration feature.
Since naps can happen anytime and anywhere the default way of setting an alarm is too tedious and time consuming to setup each and every time I would want to use it.

I would be happy with setting a manual timer and having it vibrate at the 45 minute mark or however long.

Roy_ridwan
Recovery Runner

its a good idea! however im not for the alarm, because with more alarm, the battery will drain faster

JoeyHext
Jogger

Well I figure that without an alarm a power nap can easily turn into a marathon nap...but i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to simply disable the alarm for the power nap

JoeyHext
Jogger
Well I figure that without an alarm a power nap can easily turn into a marathon nap...but i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to simply disable the alarm for the power nap
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for this suggestion! We'll be sure to pass this idea along to the rest of the team. 

berryboen
Jogger

Suggestion 1

See picture below for an example from IOS App (but the same goes with Android App). The graph only shows my nighttime sleep (even when I click the Arrows.jpg). There is no graph for my nap.

IOS.jpg

It would be great if both the IOS and Android Apps are able to show both the graph of my nighttime sleep and daytime nap as well.

Suggestion 2

The Sleep Tile on dashboard (that I open in my computer browser) shows the total time of my nighttime sleep only. See picture below.

Web.jpg

It would be great if the sleep tile (both the clock graph and the hour/minute displayed underneath) on my dashboard in my browser to be able to show the total time of both my nighttime sleep and daytime nap.

FYI, the Android / IOS Apps are able to show the total time (of both my nighttime sleep and daytime nap).

JHaze
Hill Runner

The worst part of taking a short nap is setting an alarm not knowing when you are going to fall asleep. With the Fitbit Charge HR and the others that don't know when you fall asleep, it would be great that they can wake you up in a specified time after you fall asleep. I would love this to be added.

Moderator Edit: Content

arkaycee
Runner

That is a fantastic idea!

iaf_22
Recovery Runner

Indeed, great idea!

Opivali
Jogger

I talk about this kind of alarm feature and others in this blog. Please read it and if you like them suggest them to Fitbit.

https://forum.quantifiedself.com/thread-what-changes-would-the-zeo-sleep-manager-need-to-increase-it...

stevew_68
Strider

Brill idea

Roneckjr
Walker
Yeah as a standalone feature that you can "start" from the menu rather than set as a daily feature.
Jennerality
Jogger
Plz consider adding charts for naps, like those for the full night's rest.
Tom59
First Steps
You can already see them on your PC. However, we do need to see them on the iOS app as well.
Harrisburger
Base Runner

If Jawbone can do it, why can't Fitbit?

Harrisburger
Base Runner

Pretty obvious Fitbit is ignoring this request (like idle alert or smart alarms). NO reason it shouldn't have been added. "Under Consideration" for over a year? Why not just say this won't happen.

smithee
First Steps
There needs to be away to add naps , to your sleep, only because there is some moms that nap is a big part of their sleep time .. I hope this will be a new item that can be added . I can only add one sleep time
C0nt1nu1ty
Premium User
Recovery Runner

I suffer from narcolepsy and would really like to be able to monitor spontaneous naps at work. These naps can last from a split second to 2 hours. It would be really useful if I could set the minimum sleep duration down to (for example) 15 minutes.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Srete
Base Runner

I work irregular hour and split shifts so it's neccessary for me to catch up sleep in the middle of the day. Looking back at my sleep record it shows me only having had an average of 5:31 a night, yet if I slob out infront of theTV for 30mins at 11:30pm it can record this as sleep.

We need some way of differentiating this. Perhaps flagging up inactive periods and having the ability to choose in retrospect whether we were asleep or awake.

erasmussx
First Steps

Ditto on the power nap feature...

soverytired
First Steps
For the devices that can detect sleep. Allow them to be set to wake me up after x minutes of sleep. This means we don't need to set an alarm which is then encroached upon by slow sleep onset.
soren470
First Steps

I would also like to see a power nap feature--it's one thing that I miss about my UP tracker.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.