Personal safety - panic button - safe trek app integration

I think it would be great to have some sort of panic button that would notify contacts or police if needed with your location. Sort of like the safe trek app does. People could pay a small monthly fee to have that feature just like the safe trek app or integrate with that app. Because people typically wear them all the time already or when jogging/walking alone it would be so helpful! It's much easier to get to than digging in your purse for mace or having to hold your phone the entire time. Would take some work to figure out I'm sure. But I think most consumers would happily pay for the added safety feature! I know I would!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

21 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

As a woman who runs with my Surge, I would love to see a panic option. 

It could be a double button press or similar easy option where if I am suddenly injured or followed by someone while running/walking/biking/etc., I can press it and it pings either local athorities or sends a text, to whomever I designate, with the last GPS coordinates. 

I think this would not only keep Surge users safe, but really help me not have to carry or invest in another option while running. It would be a great function to also partner with another saftey app already out there if the technology isn't totally possible on the fitbit app yet. I would definatly pay a one time fee of around $5 to turn this function on. 

anoopt
First Steps

Hello!

I saw the recent ad of Fitbit on Indian TV channels and I am happy that the product is in India now. As you might know, rape cases in India are not stopping at all. So I was thinking if Fitbit could come up with another wearable product for women that not only monitors their fitness but also triggers an alarm, or calls the police or does some other relevant action when the rape victim presses a button the product.

I am not an expert in sensors so please excuse my knowledge. If the product could automatically sense that the person who is wearing it is being raped and then trigger a relevant action then that, I believe, would be an ideal product which will protect the women from those illiterate rapists.

Please let me know your opinion on my thoughts.

Moderator edit: title for clarity

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+ 1 Heart

ValerieAnne
Tempo Runner

Love this idea! It's actually the feature I'd love to see the most - if added - I'd love to see it on all devices (somehow, I don't know how that would work). Sometimes you may need assistance/911 services and it's not safe to reach for a phone. I purchased a start up company just because they had this feature (an SOS button). I don't use that band much as it doesn't link/sync to anything other than the native app, so other than the SOS, it's not useful to me at all. I think this is something all trackers should have (no matter the brand...). 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AngelaMa
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

This sounds like an interesting request that could be helpful for some users. Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share or vote for them, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum.

Wasim711
First Steps
I think there should be a panic/distress signal you can use on your Fitbit so when it is connected to your phone you do that signal and whoever you set to, will receive a notification and your current location, for example I have a charge HR maybe a double press and hold for 5 secs so if someone is in trouble their loved ones know and maybe even alert the police.
ohcecile
First Steps

There is a safety app (originally started for college students) called Circle of 6.  It gives you a way to contact 6 people in your "circle" if you feel you are in danger.  Also, there are some companies who offer a safety bracelet (Cuff, Leaf, and Bembo are some).  I would like to see FitBit have a safety app in a piece that looks like jewelry.  It would seem less obvious than trying to find an app on your phone for help.  A basic black or silver band could be worn daily, and maybe a double-tap would signal police that you need help.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I think it would be great if there was a button on Fitbit Blaze to alert the emergency services if you were in trouble.

@Srferrell94 wrote:

I think it would be great to have some sort of panic button that would notify contacts or police if needed with your location. Sort of like the safe trek app does. People could pay a small monthly fee to have that feature just like the safe trek app or integrate with that app. Because people typically wear them all the time already or when jogging/walking alone it would be so helpful! It's much easier to get to than digging in your purse for mace or having to hold your phone the entire time. Would take some work to figure out I'm sure. But I think most consumers would happily pay for the added safety feature! I know I would!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Jogger

Yes, this is a feature that is very needed - especially by urban dwellers where mentally unstable with unpredictable and sometimes violent behaviors make people fear for their safety while walking. Also where crime is a problem in general. The FitBit Charge 2 has the ability to add screens and a button can trigger the action on the iphone/android device. Perhaps it could also detect if a person falls and can call an ambulance (thinking about seniors). FitBit needs to leverage their hardware with applications beyond health and fitness - this is a winner. 

Yeri
First Steps

I agree with the GPS for SOS button and a finder for people. I would love for my family to find me if I don't show up and was hiking in remote areas. Also the SOS would help in case that I get in trouble when outdoors.

i would pay extra for the update in my charge 2. and do not like the idea of monthly fees. It discourages from working out and defeats the purpose/mission of the community. 

The fee could be prepaid/added to new models. 

GoalCrusher
Base Runner

And also for people who get heart attacks, the Fitbit can sense the irregular-ness and then call an ambulance. Useful for all adults! Saves time and many lives

uweinnh
Jogger

I'm happy with my Fitibit(s) for more than a year now. This feature suggestion is not for a new feature without incremental revenue. This is for additional revenue.

Why can't Fitbit get into the security market, like Guard Llama? It already has the button, already has Bluetooth connectivity to their app to their cloud. Just add a subscription model for a 911 service. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Hotpink1st
First Steps

I wish they took this comment more serious. Just yesterday 4 men broke into our home at gun point and zip tied us in our bed. I woke up to them standing above me, they had already taken my phone but never took my charge 2 off me. If I could have done something to silently notify police, like hold the side button for 10 seconds, it would have saved my wife from getting pistol whipped after breaking loose to call 911. They would have also not been alerted to the cops being on the way and would have been caught. 

Lind2927
First Steps

I’m not sure if this has ever been suggested to FitBit, but I would like to see a “Panic” type button added to the device. In case a user runs into trouble, has an accident, or needs help and are unable to access their phone or other people that would possibly be able to help them. I know Apple has this setting, and it is a great tool, especially with how often it seems that joggers run into trouble, (ex Mollie Tibbetts, amongst others that are not high profile cases) Just a button added on to alert the need for help, with possibly a GPS locator, or a way to double tap the home button as a way to call for help. 

CamrynL
First Steps

In wake of the tragic death of Mollie Tibbets, many think it is a good idea to create a panic button on some Fitbit models that can be used to alert the police/authorities. It has even been suggested to name it 'Tib-bit' after Mollie to prevent what happened to her from happening to others.

LaineyBri
First Steps

Safety is a great concern for me. I live in one of the most dangerous cities in Texas and have a hard time going for a walk/run on my own. I work an 8 to 5 job and have a 7 year old. Finding time after work to go for a run is difficult for me. Ideally I would like to run in the mornings before getting ready for work, but I have a hard time making myself do so. It is still dark at that time and I would have to go alone. With the crime the way it is where I live I just don't feel safe enough to do so. With that being said, I feel as if I would be more comfortable and feel a lot safer if your product obtained a safety feature. If someone were following me or something worse were to happen I could go to my watch and access the safety feature to let local police know I need help. Or your team who could then contact local police. The tracking features avaliable on the watch would allow police to locate me if need be. I'm sure you are aware of the recent events involving Mollie Tibbetts, a 20 year old women from Iowa. She was followed and murdered while jogging. This tragic story has really pushed me to share my opinion. In one report I read on this it was stated that she grabbed her phone and threatened to call the police. I'm not sure if she had a fitbit, but I feel like if she did she could have accessed the safety feature I'm suggesting more easily and discreetly that using her phone to call for help. Overall, I know I would feel more safe and I'm sure many other woman would share my opinion. I also feel as if this would promote your product greatly. No one should feel unsafe while running/walking and trying to improve their health. I know adding a safety feature to your product would not fix this issue entirely, but I do know it would allow me to feel comfortable and safer going for a run on my own.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration. Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

ray2191
First Steps

I own a Fitbit Charge 2 and wear it all the time. I especially picked the Charge 2 because of the GPS feature because I am an avid runner and it's great to help track my miles/pace. I am a female and often times run alone and would love if the side button on the Charge 2 also acted like a Panic Button. How I see it working would be if I held the side button down for like 5-10 seconds it would automatically send my location information to a set list of recipients that I would setup via the app or online and they would able to track my movements. I would activate it if I ever felt uncomfortable/concerned during my run. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this suggestion! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Joyhansi
First Steps
Feature request - a panic button or a way to silently call authorities to your location in emergencies and send a pre-prepared text to someone if we are without our phone and cannot call for help - sincerely every female Fitbit user
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Joyhansithanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the possibility of having a Panic Button feature available to silently call authorities to your location in emergencies, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. This helps to keep the forums more organized. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.