Phone camera remote control for Smartwatches

This is one of the tools I am very fond of in the apple watch. I use this a lot in group pictures and traveling.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

72 Comments
CottonR
First Steps

This would be a great feature to have available for the Charge 3 (and iPhone)!!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Set your phone's camera app to take a picture with the volume control. 

Then connect bluetooth classic top your android or windows phone. 

Bring up the music control on the Versa while the camera app is open. 

Now tap the volume button and a picture will be taken. 

iOS uses the same bluetooth as the sync does si you guys ate already set up. 

This is how the selfie sticks work. 

MollyOG
Jogger

Fitbit should be embarrassed by not having this feature or even an app (the one they have has a 1.2 rating because it doesn't work!). Even the cheap, off-brand fitness watches I get for my kids have this feature built in! They need to add this...this is an incredibly basic feature that we shouldn't have to even ask for!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I never noticed that this function was missing. 

Steps I take. 

Start camera 

Hold button on tracker to bring up the music control. 

Press volume to take picture. 

This is the way the remote shutter for phones work. 

Infinitywaves
Jogger

Fitbit Ionic is a fantastic product, but please add:

1. the ability to control the music (player) in the phone (just add a simple file to be installed?)

2. remote control of taking pictures and videos by phone (there is such an application but it works dramatically wrong, counts down the time and only establishes the connection, there is no preview? I do not know, I do not work at all)

3. change the order of icons on the phone (perhaps by changing the order in the list of installed applications?)

4. with more icons, scrolling is bothersome (ideally if you add a configurable multi-click setting - as a quick access to the application, eg two short one long = camera control)

5. easy / quick change of the watch / main desktop (currently changing the bar is the second, changing the desktop is a feat for a few minutes)

Best regards, Arthur

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Infinitywaves! We wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:
Music Player

Customize 'long press' short cut buttons function on Ionic

Ionic - choose clock faces from web app

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Infinitywaves when the ionic was released, it was released with the ability to control music on your phone. This is how the selfie sticks work, 

2 As for taking a remote picture. Set up music control as mentioned above, open your camera app and set it to trigger with the volume. 

Now on your wrist press volume up, a photo will be taken. 

3 hold your finger on the ionic wait for the vibration and drag it to the screen and spot you want it. 

Also the two left icons on the first screen may be quickly started by tapping the right buttons. 

4 I know we have a feature suggestion for this. 

Infinitywaves
Jogger
Hello again, sorry for my bad english (writes from Poland)

1. Can I control music on my phone? How!? When I start the application
with the "sheet music" icon appears download files, I have to install
some additional program to the phone (I use AIMP).

2. I have it! I was running the standard android application and I
should use the one for fitbit ... and everything works.

3. Works, thank You (was it from the beginning? I think I tried right
after the purchase).

4. great (you can call applications that are too far to fast scrolling
the screen)

Greetings Arthur
Infinitywaves
Jogger
Hello again, sorry for my bad english (writes from Poland)

1. music player - I'm writing about it with Rich_Laue (Community Legend)
and I am waiting for it.

2. stop! it's not about a long press, please see what the code of this
program is
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lennox.keycut you can
program different sequences calling different functions under one
button, my idea was exactly that.

3. "Clock Error" appears until today, yesterday I also had such a
situation that the phone hung on a black screen. In addition, you could
also add a list of favorites that would allow a quick change.

Greetings Arthur
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Infinitywaves (first steps) I posted a link to the music help docs above

In the docs it explains how to setup the ionic to control the phone. 

Once this is setup then the volume control on the ionic can be used to control the camera. Or you may download the third party app for the ionic. 

As for your 2nd idea, this has nothing to do with the thread we are in, @YojanaFitbit in her post above posted a link to this suggestion. Please follow the link and add your vote and thoughts about multiple button function. 

Infinitywaves
Jogger
Hello agian, (thank you for your time, I appreciate)

1. the first two links refer to the control of music downloaded to the
watch - and I write about something else: control of music that is on
the phone with the watch (i.e. I have music loaded on e.g. a microSD
card, I do not want to download anything to the watch, I want to control
phone player using the watch) - is it possible?

2. the second idea is e.g. pressing the upper right 3x button and
calling the assigned function or application. I gave the link as an
example in which you can freely configure options or programs (and call
with a long, short press), this link is only about ideas that allow the
multiply of (virtual) buttons

Greetings Arthur
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The first link I point to is the music FAQ. The first question is about how to control music on the phone

Connect the ionic classic to phone. 

On the music screen. Tap settings. Chose phone for input. 

It is explained in detail in the link. Screen shot of music FAQScreen shot of music FAQ

2 your link was not an example but an app.

I pointed to the current suggestion of having multiple events per button. If you have a different idea then please add it to its own 

Suggestion by starting a new thread. This suggestion is about controlling the phones Camera from the wrist. Currently we have two methods of doing this I use neither and prefer to use Hi Bixby or set the camera to detect a eye blink. 

Infinitywaves
Jogger
Hello again,

1. I found! ok works. It was needed as if BT double pairing. Second one
under music control (and it was confusing).

2. such a different idea. Programming functions. Described in the link
to the application that controls the mechanical button - it does not
matter - it's about ideas - click options (several times = calling the
option, there is also set what to run after how many and what clicks,
i.e. long / short and how many clicks - different numberdifferent
functions), everything is described in the line.

Greetings, Arthur
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

As for your second thought. Again, if you do not like the suggestion I pointed to, then start a new feature request in its own thread. This thread is about a remote camera trigger on the wrist. 

Hijacking a feature suggestion will not be helpful to you or anybody. 

Infinitywaves
Jogger
Hello again,

about "Hijacking a feature suggestion will not be helpful to you or
anybody. " probably but I'm not the producer of the sport watch which
has thousands of comments and ideas on the forums, just use it ... or
not. Tcket to close. thx for the help.

Greetings, Arthur
Alexcha
First Steps

I think a feature that allows to take pictures with our watch via bluetooth would be amazing!

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Alexcha, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having an option to take pictures with your Fitbit device via Bluetooth, this feature suggestion already exists and it's available at the moment through third part services. I’ve moved your post here, since this helps maintain the Community and the Feature Suggestion board more organized. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Hi @DavideFitbit the interesting thing about this request is that no third party app is needed. 

All of these selfie sticks take advantage of the fact that the phones camera may be triggered by the volume button. 

We can do the same on the Fitbit tracker. 

Simply connect the tracker to the phone as if you want to control the music on the phone. Open the camera app, now when the volume button on the Fitbit tracker is pressed, the phone takes a picture. 

I have used this feature but find it easier to simply ask Bixby to take a picture, or use the Smile detection feature. 

Ilaria_Zamp
First Steps

Hi @Rich_Laue I have just buy a Versa. Please could you explain me how to connect the tracker to the phone to control music on the phone and also how to take a picture in remote? you have mentioned the camera app, but you mean the defoult camera app of the phone (I have a Huawei)?

Thanks a lot

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Ilaria_Zamp, I would guess that Versa doesn't have volume buttons, thus this method would not work

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Volume has not been moved @SunsetRunner 

Like the Versa we still have the plus and negative on the right. Simply tap these. 

20191224_222428.jpg

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Rich_Laue, That's valid, although I would like to have it accessible without turning on the music, etc...
I've been studying their API for the apps and I didn't find increase/decrease volume functionality. I will try to study the open-source projects more thoroughly before going to ask help from Fitbit developers. I would like to create a simple minimalistic app to toggle the camera shot.

Ilaria_Zamp
First Steps
Hi, Yesterday by chance a I have found It on my Versa.
Slide down on the screen, touch music, open the camera app on yout phone,
then press on track in the center where ther is :play_button: or :pause_button:️. The camera phone
gets the Pic! 😃
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Someone all ready wrote an app, but it requires a sister app on the phone. So you may be right in that the API does not give access to volume. 

Have you searched the development board ? 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Rich_Laue, That's what I'm doing right now 😊.
I've seen the app and it indeed requires companion app, which, if you look at the reviews, crappy as hell. Plus it's not free. Plus it shoots on an internal app's camera, which is a limitation of the functionality, as it will perform nowhere close the same image quality as my built-in google camera.

If I fail to find API for controlling the phone's volume buttons within my Fitbit Versa 2, the only option would be to create a companion app that would control the volume buttons on the background (I need to research this functionality as well). The app on the watches could send web API requests to the companion app which would trigger actions. Although it might require an internet connection, not sure if web API requests could be done on localhost... 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.