Weight lifting feature

I lift a lot of weights at the gym and would love to track my progress in weight and reps each time to see how much I'm progressing.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

97 Comments
Natcam1995
First Steps

Even just being able to manually add sets and reps of workouts on the app and view your current exercise on the device (for those with screens) would be brilliant! I just want to be able to see what exercise I'm doing, and how many sets and reps I have left! 

Please please do this! So many people would benefit!!

windkew
Keeping Pace

Hi all,

It would be great if fitbit could somehow incorporate weight lifting into the dashboard or at lease create a compatible app that could achieve the same thing. Currently you can record a workout and then reclass it to weight lifting but this is highly unreliable because what may be recorded as a step could really be a 225 lb deadlift rep.

Therefore I propose the following:

1. Create custom workout plans (i.e. Legs& Shoulders Day)
  2. Ability to add in specific workouts and save them to a specific workout plan (i.e. Squats, front squats, step-ups, calfs raises, shoulder press…)
  3. Manually input of weight, reps and number of sets for the above specific workouts
  4. Simple chart to track progress for each weight lifting activity over the months/year (i.e. ability to see progress in increasing weight and reps)

Please take this into consideration and would a moderator please let me know if something like this is feasible. I would really love this so I can stop carrying around a journal at the gym and have my workouts actually integrated into my fitbit!!! 

P.S.  it would be great to bring back body measurements verses BMI Smiley Very Happy

-Kyle

Chenjaroo
First Steps

Please please please add the ability to track strength exercises (weight and pilates) with exercise type, weight (if any), reps per set, and number of sets. In addition to weight lifting type exercises, it would be helpful to add the ability to track strength exercises that use your body's own weight like pilates, lunges, situps/crunches, jumping jacks, where you still would want to track reps and sets. 

agilbertdesign
First Steps

If no tracker of your own, a way to sync the info from Bodyspace.com accounts? I already track there for many years...

Sab1
First Steps
I would also love this feature! Using several different apps is incredibly inefficient and I would welcome the chance to use just 1!
SunriseRun1250
Tempo Runner

See this thread - This has moved beyond the HR and now the charge 2...please listen fitbit!

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-2/Charge-2-and-Weight-Lifting/m-p/1536400#U1536400

the atlas tracker does this

https://www.atlaswearables.com

Rockymount1
Recovery Runner

DELETED...

J-La
First Steps

I would also LOVE to have my device be able to count weight exercises and machines to more accurate log my journey and see if i'm on the right path.  PLEASE, this would be an awesome feature!!

Downset182
First Steps

I see that there is a weight lifting conversion on the Blaze, but I believe it only does calories burned. I'd like to see this activity conversion into steps as well. I also question the validity of the conversion. When I do powerlifts, I should be seeing a much higher calorie burn than what the app is showing.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

malheiros
First Steps

Microsoft Band had this. And it was perfect. It could tell me which exercise to do next, how many reps, and would let me know when rest was over, all straight from the band.

It's the same with the fitbit bands, just a matter of implementing it.

PhiFitness
First Steps

Please add a weight lifting tracker! I lift weights and currently use JEFIT to track my progress. I just got a fitbit today and there is no way for me to link that to myou JEFIT app. 😞 With no macro counter or weight lifting tracker, I'm wondering if this watch is even worth it. 😕 

I really want to be a fan. Please add the weight lifting tracker with the type of exercise plus reps and sets and rest times!! 

louismarino
First Steps

Yup, agreed, this would be relatively simple in app terms, all that would be needed is a database of exercises, the functionality to add custom exercises, organise exercises in workouts, and the abilty to record reps and weight (basically something similar to JEFIT as others have mentioned).

In terms of connectivity to the device, rest timing would be good, and a display of the next set goal, so the wristband would vibrate after say 60 seconds, and display the next exercise weight / reps last recorded.

This is all quite simple in terms of functionality and I was surprised to see that this didn't exist in the app.

Generally I find that recording steps and calories is an extremely reductive and innacurate way to measure exercise and nutrition, and only beneficial to people who are very new to fitness. What about macronutrients? And tracking of specific types of exercise?  Other apps all do this a lot better (My fitness pal, JEFIT etc), which makes the fitbit app kind of redundant.

If Fitbit wants to become all-in-one fitness tracker, they need to start outperforming when compared to other apps, at the the moment they are lagging behind.

Poppyheart
First Steps

Not sure if fitbit is still reading these posts. I recieved the Charge 2 as a Christmas gift and would love to be able to track my weight training with fitbit. At least an option to log weight rep and sets with graphs so I can track my progress.

SunriseRun1250
Tempo Runner

Dear Fitbit, you can include lifting weights, exercises (automatically recognised!) reps, form, calories just like this company!

http://actofit.com

Please let the developers know as it's quite unique! This would be a killer feature for gym goers all over! You can even track body parts, what's lagging what muscles you are hitting. Please Fitbit, get something like this embedded in your tracker.

SunriseRun1250
Tempo Runner

Dear Fitbit, you can include lifting weights, exercises (automatically recognised!) reps, form, calories just like this company!

http://actofit.com

Please let the developers know as it's quite unique! This would be a killer feature for gym goers all over! You can even track body parts, what's lagging what muscles you are hitting. Please Fitbit, get something like this embedded in your tracker.

louismarino
First Steps

The actofit looks awesome but the fitbit is so far behind that it doesn't seem like that will happen any time soon. 

I'd just be happy with:

– A workout recording app inside the fitbit app (like JEFIT)

– A prompt on screen for the next exercise / weight / reps e.g. Bench press / 70kg / 10 reps / Set 1

– some recognition of reps would be cool

– rest timer which you can set, which buzzes to tell you to get on with your next set 

Currently the fitbit exercise tracker, for anything other than running, is just a glorified stopwatch which I had on my sweet Casio watch back in 1992. Plus an innacurate heart monitor.

Rockymount1
Recovery Runner

Just ordered a Actofit (won't see it until February).  But it sounds like what I was looking for and assumed the the Charge HR 2 would provide.  I'll update this once I receive it and try it out. 

By the way since it's still an intro - just $107 USD.  Sounds like it did well at CES 2017.  Fingers are crossed.

AtozNYC
Jogger

Best would be able to set specific goals for calendar days.  Maybe one week aiming for 20 reps on Tuesday and Thursday, another week aiming for 30 reps M / W / F.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I did it. I ordered the Atlas Wearable and it works as it sys. There are some bugs but overall it's a must have if you want to track your reps and weight. I also got greedy and ordered the Actofit. I plan to do a feature for feature review on them. As far as fitbit... it was nice at first but I ultimately out grew it and needed more. I don't see Fitbit growing in the direction that would make me want to continue to use them or my surge other than a connected watch and my connected scale. It was nice you guys while it lasted. 

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

That would be nice to do. I personally don't think this is impossible to do. Hopefully something like this gets implemented. 

mfontaine
First Steps

I would love this!

ChellQ
Jogger

Hi,

I love Fitbit and use my Surge 24/7, I have a Premium account.

I would love if you could add a body measurement tracker and a section for weights training such as weight, reps and sets.

I want to just use Fitbit to record everything please.

Thanks

Michelle

vincenzo
Recovery Runner

I absolutely agree that Fitbit should track weight training exercises, either directly on the smartwatch/tracker or on the smartphone app to track specific weight training exercises. To make it easy why don't you do a partnership deal with Fitnotes and integrate their app into Fitbit. Of course it would be great to go the extra step and have the wristband automatically detect the exercise like one of the following companies :

• Atlas Wristband 2
  • The Beast Sensor
  •  PUSH Band
  • Gymwatch
  • Skulpt Chisel
  • Athos
  • I seriously will consider purchasing one of the above or a smartwatch that automatically identifies and tracks weight lifting exercises once my current Fitbit dies. Honestly, the Fitbit tracking of steps, calories is done just as well by numerous free apps on my phone. The only way Fitbit can differentiate itself is to offer upmarket functions like weightlifting identification and tracking.
vincenzo
Recovery Runner

Fitbit should track weight training exercises, either directly on the smartwatch/tracker or on the smartphone app to track specific weight training exercises. To make it easy why doesn't Fitbit do a partnership deal with a company like Fitnotes and integrate their app into Fitbit. Then users could track repititions and weight for specific exercises as well as have a total weight lifted graph  as well as an analysis per muscle group trained and a list of personal bests with a graph of performance (total weight lifted) per exercise. Of course it would be great to go the extra step and have the wristband automatically detect the exercise like one of the following companies :

• Atlas Wristband 2
  • The Beast Sensor
  •  PUSH Band
  • Gymwatch
  • Skulpt Chisel
  • Athos
  • I seriously will consider purchasing one of the above or a smartwatch that automatically identifies and tracks weight lifting exercises once my current Fitbit dies. Honestly, the Fitbit tracking of steps, calories is done just as well by numerous free apps on my phone. The only way Fitbit can differentiate itself is to offer upmarket functions like weightlifting identification and tracking.
Nickcis
Stepping Up

I'm a Charge 2 user, and i found quite useful to have a reps counter. Something very simple, just a counter, (e.g: one tap of the button to increase the counter, doble tap to decrease it).

When doing crossfit, (specially when doing Amraps or rounds per time) you need to keep in mind how many repetitions (of the set) are you doing, having a simple counter on the wrist will be something very useful. The interval training is useful for Emon like trainings, but when the main objective is the repetition number and not the time, it's not useful.

I think that a simple counter is not a hard functionality to develop and it will be very useful.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.