interval running GPS usage

I would like while using the interval workout to record the whole workout with GPS (something like Garmin has). Start running and after warm up ,start your interval workout, and after that a cooling down of and record the whole run with GPS. At this moment the only thing whats recorded is the interval workout that you setup before, and you can't set it up with warming up and cooling down. 

For example the best option in my opinion would be:

Start running with GPS enabled and after a few km's manually start the interval that you setup on forehand. If the interval training is ready the GPS wont stop until you manually stop your run. 

Edit: 

Yesterday i had the following interval training:

2 x 4 minutes sprint with 3 minutes rest

3 x 3 minutes sprint with 2 minutes rest

2 x 2 minutes sprint with 1 minute rest

I found out that this could not be setup in the Ionic app as a exercise and the only thing you can setup is a basic interval with the move minutes and rest time and repeats. 

Any chance that this will be added? Looks to me as a simple thing :-). 

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

11 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Wesleydeveer
Jogger

Hopefully this will be an option in the near future because its really great to use while training for a Marathon! 

Lwish
Recovery Runner

I love my Garmin when i run and was running with both the Garmin and my Fitbit.....looks pretty stupid, but love the ability of the Garmin to have the built in GPS, the ability to create more complex intervals, interval transition alerts with instructions on what to transition to....and a summary of miles run, pace and calories burned at the end of the run.

Or....open up the Fitbit app to accept Garmin data?

Any chance?

Wesleydeveer
Jogger

Yesterday i had the following interval training:

2 x 4 minutes sprint with 3 minutes rest

3 x 3 minutes sprint with 2 minutes rest

2 x 2 minutes sprint with 1 minute rest

I found out that this could not be setup in the Ionic app as a exercise and the only thing you can setup is a basic interval with the move minutes and rest time and repeats. 

Any chance that this will be added? Looks to me as a simple thing :-). 

PaHeKo
First Steps

After using my Fitbit Ionic for a few weeks, i have a few "wishes": 1. Sleep. I have a sleeping disorder, and could realy need a "Notes" field attached to each night sleep log. There I could add comments on the recordings, witch by the way is wery misleading, in my case. When editing the curve, there should be possible to restore the original recording. 2. GPS: I once had a Garmin HR-Monitor, where it was possible to set GPS recording intervals to save battery. F. eks 1 min, 2 min, 5 min etc. For long training sessions, there is no need for continuos position readings, but intervalls would have been nice, if it extends battery life. Also a feature to turn GPS-OFF. What do you think? Paul

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject for Clarity

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @PaHeKo! Thanks for sharing those ideas. We wanted to let you know that some of the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see it here:

You also had shared a unique suggestion, so we have retitled and relabelled your original post here to reflect that idea. Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for.

Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

irunslow
Jogger
I would like to be able to track GPS location when doing an Interval workout - basically be able to run walk with my fitbit calling the intervals.

Yes - i can use the interval timer for this function, but if I do, it doesn't track mileage or consider it a run which I need for training purposes.
Claira
First Steps

This is so important for training and would be such a useful feature. Training so often includes speedier runs with jogs or walks between sets. The vibrations would means you're not constantly straining to see your watch for distance, especially on sunny days.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi,

I too would like this feature, but in fairness I am finding Fitbit way to restricted these days.  I have a week day routine were i set my Fitbit to Walk but I have a timer (Tabata Timer) on my phone that sounds at 1 minute intervals, but this can be obviously altered.  I then set off and every time the sound goes off I break into a sprint or walk depending on what I am doing at the time.  GPS works and I do this for around an hour and cover around 7.8KM normally.  I set it to walk so I can identify the activity on the website since the website is not very searchable. at the weekend I properly run 10km each weekend day.   

It is a pain to have to run with my phone but it is far louder than a watch can sound off (if they did have sound) I had a Galaxy Watch for a while but in traffic I could not hear it and I would often miss the sound.  But in my view Fitbit has lost its way and I am thinking of just walking away altogether and going back to an old fashioned stop watch.  

Regards

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @irunslow, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to track interval training with GPS data. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon. 

Mizcrys323
Jogger

Hopefully this comment will bump this suggestion up on the list again.

Yesterday I ran a 10 mile virtual race, yet my Fitbit Ionic tracked me as running 12.69 miles.  I was completely blown by how off it was!  I reviewed the user forum and determined the issue was likely caused by the Fitbit calculating my distance based on my steps when I lost the GPS signal. The problem is such calculations are wildly off when doing intervals.  Specifically, I was doing a 3:1 interval.  I have no idea how many times the GPS went out, but it clearly assumed all the steps were at my running stride.  So I see 3 possible fixes:

1. Improve the GPS.  I use the Nike Running app on my phone (Android) and it gave me an accurate distance tracking.

2. Use another means to calculate distance when there are lapses in GPS tracking. 

3.  Set up interval tracking in the Running exercise OR enable the Interval option to track distance and pace.  It also needs a warm-up and cool down interval added as well.  

I'm very dissatisfied with the Running exercise in the Fitbit. This is only of my primary forms of exercise and it's disappointing that Fitbit has so many issues tracking it  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.