"Not yet" button in Menstrual Health Tracking should do something

Currently, in the calendar view, if your period is "late", there's a dialog asking if this period has started yet, with three choices: Yes, Not Yet, and Edit.  

If you select "Not Yet", nothing happens.  The predicted period is still in there until you log a real one, and the tile assumes that it's correct.  [Commonly, this can be a number of days or even weeks.] 

If you select "Edit", you can't log a period in the future or postpone the prediction (and it makes a joke about having a proactive attitude).

For now, until the "Not Yet" button is connected to a function on the back end, it should be removed.

This is relevant because for most menstruators, cycle length is not constant, and "lateness" is normal.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

16 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

IngaC
First Steps

Can I just mention, as a pregnant woman, that this Female Health Tracker is a wonderful idea but really doesn't do a whole lot yet? For one thing, there is no way to actually tell the app you're pregnant or breastfeeding, and fertility, pregnancy, and breastfeeding are kind of a big deal for female health (and the whole reason behind what the app actually does kind of track....periods. Why track periods and not concern ourselves with fertility if we're going to call it "Female Health"?) I think there once was a pregnancy setting, but nothing was ever done behind the scenes to make that setting mean anything. No changes/accommodations can be made for your overall health picture, nutrition, BMI, exercise, etc, having to do with pregnancy or breastfeeding. 

Another issue is that it really doesn't help to accurately calculate ovulation, but it half claims to. It just does some basic math 90% of users are probably capable of figuring out anyway. Granted, it was the reminder I needed to get going a day before it said I might ovulate, and I got lucky on the first try....but I am painfully aware of all the women who don't have such an easy time conceiving. I feel that it's really too big a generalization to assume enough people hoping to get something out of the new feature ovulate exactly 14 days before their periods start and that everyone is regular with period timing. Many women are likely being disappointed by the setting but feel too ashamed or embarrassed to discuss it.

In support of the many women who are having trouble conceiving, just a  quick reminder that many of us have to painstakingly take and chart/graph body temperature multiple times a day EVERY day to figure out basal body temperature patterns, because that is the best indicator of ovulation (or  - at least it's the best way to know when to take an expensive pee stick test that confirms a certain hormone surge).   

Yet it seems like a relatively simple thing to add a temperature tracking sensor to the fitbit, and accurately tracking ovulation alongside periods could make a huge difference to millions of women. Would a temp sensor really be that hard compared to the impressive heart rate tracking fitbit already does?

Clearly, with the Relax function and nutrition/weight tracking, etc. the company is trying to branch out to Health Areas beyond just exercising. And you all started this great idea of Female Health tracking. From a Marketing perspective, I don't think you're going to get a much more loyal audience than the rapidly growing hoards of women having trouble with fertility. Or the huge number of women trying their **ahem**dest NOT to conceive (such as a whole lot of Catholics who don't believe in many forms of birth control...and my own first pregnancy was unplanned, unlikely, and could have been avoided with ovulation tracking). PLUS temperature tracking could help with predicting sickness, or overheating from a workout, etc.

I'm sure it's more complicated than I understand to really get going, but I would love to hear about the things that make temperature, ovulation, pregnancy, breastfeeding, etc. too much of a hurdle. And I think plenty of others are listening too. There is another thread that's been going for years around the Female Health component and why improving it would be a good idea. 

Any feedback, please? Thanks!

AranelS
Recovery Runner

I should be able to report that my period has started (or not) just as easily as I would report drinking a glass of water.

I shouldn't have to go through some convoluted editing procedure as if something unexpected has happened every time that my period starts a day or two early or late. (Periods starting a day or two early or late should be expected. It is completely normal. It is practically standard. It should not trigger having to do something unusual.) 

renbee
First Steps

Agreed! If your period is late against the prediction you have no option to push the prediction back. Something you’d think was the objective of the “not yet” option!  

You end up in “no mans land” with no cycle day number if you delete the period, or every day you’re on Day 1 and having to manually push and save the period, which is both annoying and inaccurate. 

Miriam85
Recovery Runner

I completely agree! I'm usually quite regular, but depending on stress, surgeries, or nutritional "difficulties" shall we say, I've been anywhere from a day or two early up to two weeks late. 

I've basically switched from my old period tracker, Ladytimer, to this one because right now I don't require something super accurate. I just needed something simple and in one location, BUT I DO MISS A LOT OF IT'S FEATURES! 

In this case it would tell me when one was predicted, "thanks,yo!" and if the thing was bang on I could go in and click "start as well as the flow rate, or just wait until the day it started and then go to that date on the app's calendar and click start and the flow rate. It would leave the predicted one highlighted in a lighter "theme" colour until I clicked start, so if I forgot, it was there as a reminder. Later the officially marked ones were the same "theme" colour but darker. 

I also miss the ease of just clicking "start/ end" rather than dragging that bar if mine is a day or two different. Again, I'm fairly regular, but G-d forbid I have to try to drag that stupid bar across a weekend with my (minimal mind you, not like lifeproof our otter box) phone case on, especially in portrait mode! Sometimes I get so frustrated trying to get it right I just say, "fu€# this!" and just leave it a day off! Smiley Frustrated

Rabbot
First Steps

Yes! I would like it if the "Not Yet" button moved the predicted start date one day into the future and then it would ask me again the next day (and the next and so on) until I said yes. 

Miriam85
Recovery Runner

This would be logical!

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

m_dow
First Steps

I absolutely agree, especially this line from a post above: "I should be able to report that my period has started (or not) just as easily as I would report drinking a glass of water." The app's predictions are helpful, but surely there is a way for it to treat them as just guesses and not certainties! 

SarahRhea
Tempo Runner

I agree. Its frustrating that the "not yet" button doesn't do anything. The app just continues to count down the days until your period ends, which is entirely useless if it hadn't even started. 

Other apps ive used assumed your period was late if you didnt log a period after the predicted start date. 

ttcking
Stepping Up

Echoing RenBee: 

Agreed! If your period is late against the prediction you have no option to push the prediction back. Something you’d think was the objective of the “not yet” option!  You end up in “no mans land” with no cycle day number if you delete the period, or every day you’re on Day 1 and having to manually push and save the period, which is both annoying and inaccurate. 

It literally makes no sense. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please make the “not yet” button actually do something. I have an IUD and completely irregular periods. It’s pretty common. Why make it so hard to accurately track periods?! 

ValarieG
Jogger

It’s 2020 and the “Not yet” button still doesn’t work. 

I JUST purchased my Fitbit a couple of weeks ago. When setting up the female health feature it asks “when was your last period, an estimate is okay” since I didn’t remember the exact date I gave a date not far off—only about a couple days. Now that I am trying to use the feature I’ve attempted to change the Period Start date several times via the editing tool but still no success. The app still shows an incorrect date. I thought the “not yet” question was a way to adjust the dates as needed but apparently the button doesn’t even work. Any updates? 

ESA321
Jogger

It's February 2020 and the "not yet" button still doesn't do anything. It's ridiculous that I have to confirm a correct period while not having any way to correct a wrong prediction.

Fizz76
Jogger

Its 2021. Still does nothing!

So many cycle trackers on the market that work better than this!!

LeBarry
First Steps

It's 2022 and this still hasn't been resolved?

The 'not yet' button is gone, but the 2 options are now 'confirm' and 'edit'. But that same stupid joke about having a 'proactive attitude'  comes up if you try to move the 'predicted period date'.

Can't we at least have an option to select 'no' to answer the question 'did your period start today?' it would literally just have to push the 'predicted start date' back by one day. 

JeanetteA
First Steps

It’s 2023 and at least they got rid of the stupid joke?

Does Fitbit have any people with uteruses on their development team? The fact that they haven’t done anything about this feature in 4 years is telling. Someone over there doesn’t prioritize women’s health and it shows

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.