Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barcodes by Terry

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I downloaded Barcodes (by Terry) so that I do not have to carry my gym pass with me.  I went into settings and named the barcode, selected a color, but the encoding only allows three options...1. Auto Detect., 2. Code-128, and 3. Code-39.  I have no idea what these three options are for, but I was under the impression that I need to enter my 6 digit code of the barcode of my gym membership card, but there is no spot to input that number.  How am I supposed to configure this? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
31 REPLIES 31

I think you need to get with the App creator???  Its not a FITBIT app

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I use this app and love it.  the numbers that you enter should be relatively long.  So look at a barcode on a product you buy.  there is a series of numbers under it that you would use to replicate that barcode.  if yours doesnt have it, there are other ways of getting the "barcode numbers".  if youre at a shopping center, you could have them scan it and it should tell them what the numbers are.  i think there may be apps for barcode lookups so you could search google play for them.  You may be able to ask the gym for the information as well.  they should have it available.

Best Answer

Hi there, @bdub3. Your posting inspired me to check out the Ionic app - Barcodes by Terry. I love it! My Kroger’s card was getting worn out. Now I just flick my wrist. Please try these steps and see if it will work for you, then let me know.

1. Assuming the app is on your Ionic, Open the Fitbit app on the phone synced to your Ionic.
  2. In the Fitbit app, tap Settings —> Ionic —> Apps —> My Apps. 
  3. Tap the gear next to Barcodes to open the settings. 
  4. From here, you should be instructed to enter Name (ie. Gym), Barcode, and color. In the barcode field, you should be able to enter your gym’s 6 digit number.
  5. Leave Encoding on Auto-Detect.

I hope this works for you. As I said, I’ve been impressing the folks at Kroger’s when I simply flick my wrist to show them my card. Of course, if you still have a problem, you can try the simple trick I’ve used in the past for movie ticket codes, ID cards, etc. Simply use your phone to take a photo of the card/code ... mark it as Favorites so it is easily detectable ... then show them the photo from your phone. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Carol,

I wish I had your experience.  Admittedly when I posted this I did not see the settings link so that I could enter the barcode number, but eventually, I noticed it.  However, after inputting all of the information as you outline, the app does not work.  When entering the app, a message pops up that says I need to create a barcode in the settings.  I have tried reinstalling the app a couple of times now but still no success. A couple of days ago I wrote to "Barcodes by Terry" to see if there is anything that I might do, but Terry has not responded.  I would like to have this so that I could go to the gym without having to carry my gym pass card.

Thank you for the response.

Bill

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a tricky app to set up. But let’s try it again. I really like it and want you to be able to use it. I’ll try to be more detailed in my steps. You are likely getting that message because your efforts to set up a barcode did not save it.

1. Open the Fitbit app on the phone synced to your Ionic.
  2. In the Fitbit app, tap Settings —> Ionic —> Apps —> My Apps.
    Tap the gear next to Barcodes to open the settings.

Here, I get more detailed. 

1. Tap Name, Enter it, then tap Save.
  2. Tap Bar Code. Enter the numbers, then tap Save.
  3. Tap to select a color. Leave Encoding as it is.

Here’s where it gets tricky. There is no Save button so tap Back. Keep tapping Back until you get to a screen where you can sync your Ionic. I had to sync mine a couple times.  (It would have been nice if they had given us one last Save button.)

Then, to see if it worked, tap to open the Barcodes app on your Ionic. If you have more than one barcode, you should be able to tap the top, right Ionic button to scroll to the second one. 

Crossing my fingers ...

Best Answer

Carol,

Thanks, but no cigar.  I have already done what you suggest several times after adding and deleting the app.  I followed this procedure as you outlined multiple times with no success.  When tapping the app on my Ionic it opens to a screen telling me to go into the settings and create a barcode.  The barcodes are there, they just won't show up on the Ionic.  What's more disappointing is that you seem to be more concerned than the app maker, "Terry", since he/she has not responded to my requests.

Bill

Best Answer
0 Votes

So sorry it did not work out for you, Bill. @bdub3  If you hear back from “Terry,” please let me know. I’d be interested in hearing what s/he has to say. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Carol-B!

The trick is to hit that Save button after entering name and then after entering code. Left it on auto-detect. When I backed out my Ionic vibrated and there was my YMCA barcode. Now I won’t need my phone when I go to the gym. THANKS!

Best Answer

So glad it worked for you, @Bjsquilter! One last note ... I originally said to swipe to get to the other codes if you set up more than one. I stand corrected. Once you get to the first code on your Ionic, press the top, right button to access the additional codes. I can easily get from my Kroger card to my CVS card to my Rite Aid card with no problems. Very convenient!

Best Answer
Thanks for the additional info Carol-B!
Best Answer

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this message but I will just tag on to the end of this discussion.

Notes on the BARCODE app by Terry:

After being extensively coached on the use of this app and getting to sync the store codes from my PC (Windows 10 desktop) to my Ionic, I set about to test it in several retail stores.  The results were somewhat disappointing.  I tested it at Giant supermarkets (several different ones), a Wegmans, a Harris Teeter and at BJ’s.

It was only scanned properly at Harris Teeter.  At all the other places the scanners ignored the Fitbit.  I tried all manner of swipes; fast, slow, stationary, various angles, various distances. Nothing worked.  I also asked for the checkout people to scan the Fitbit with a hand scanner. Didn’t work, except for Harris Teeter.

The only store I have not tried yet is Costco, but that is kind of irrelevant because you need to carry the card to get into the store.

UPDATE:

I followed a suggestion on another thread to set the screen brightness to maximum by tapping the gear icon on the watch.  Now Giant supermarket will properly scan the code, but only with a hand scanner at a checkout operated by a human.  Just like Harris Teeter. 

I now need to figure out how to change the screen activation from wrist twist to screen tap, so as to save battery life..

I am going to ask Wegmans for a new card and see if a change of numbers makes a difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @CADAVER. You said - I now need to figure out how to change the screen activation from wrist twist to screen tap, so as to save battery life..

To switch screen wake from auto to manual, press and hold the button on the left. The Ionic will vibrate slightly and take you to the screen where you can make the change. Press the button again to exit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

sometimes it just takes awhile for the app to update

?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. I just made a Windows sticky note on that.

Best Answer

Hooray! I now have two visible bar codes. Next challenge will be to the gym and the grocery store to see if either works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @Purrstachio thanks for jumping in here and letting us know that you have two visible barcodes now. Smiley Very Happy

For all of you in this thread, for future references, with third party apps, note that Fitbit doesn't own or maintain third party integrations. It's up to the owner of the third party app to implement or update features for their app so in this case is recommendable to contact the third party developer to learn more about future implementations. 

To contact the developer please open their app on the Fitbit App Gallery, scroll/swipe down and under "App Details" you will find the information.

Rest assure we are working to deliver better options to our users, so once again thank you for your feedback as this help us to continue our work. Robot Very Happy

See you later and stay awesome!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bdub3 wrote:

Hi Carol,

I wish I had your experience.  Admittedly when I posted this I did not see the settings link so that I could enter the barcode number, but eventually, I noticed it. 

However, after inputting all of the information as you outline, the app does not work.  When entering the app, a message pops up that says I need to create a barcode in the settings.  I have tried reinstalling the app a couple of times now but still no success.

A couple of days ago I wrote to "Barcodes by Terry" to see if there is anything that I might do, but Terry has not responded.  I would like to have this so that I could go to the gym without having to carry my gym pass card.

Have you checked out the tutorial here?:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-App-Gallery/Adding-bar-codes-to-the-Barcodes-app/m-p/2761744

It's linked in the app description.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @bdub3! Have you checked the link that my friend @EmTe shared? Is everything good now?

Keep me in the loop! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a different problem. I had no issues setting up my app and adding barcodes. My issue is that I can't get the barcodes to successfully scan anywhere. I've tried at the library and at the grocery with no success. I even have access to a hand scanner and no luck. If I use a scanner app on my phone, it can read it, but nowhere else. Any ideas? I have a Versa.

Best Answer