Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Crash when opening Alarms app

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

12/05 Update: This issue should be corrected with Ionic's new update, which is available today. Thanks everyone for your patience and assistance in getting this resolved.

10/19 Update: I've confirmed with out team that a fix for this will be included in Ionic's next firmware release. We haven't announced a specific date for the update, but this issue should be fully resolved once it is available.

It sounds like some users have had success with performing a factory restart on their device, so this is also an option to try if you don't mind taking the time to set things up again.

Our team is aware that some users see their Ionic crash when accessing the Alarms app, and are working to get this issue resolved. Apologies for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience while we work to address this.

Moderator edit: added label

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This issue should be corrected with Ionic's new update, which is available today.

Thanks everyone for your patience and assistance in getting this resolved.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
151 REPLIES 151

Alarm app will not open and reboots the watch. Anyone else having this issue. Unfortunately with the syncing issue you can't uninstall and reinstall the app

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity 

Best Answer
Soooo, I've been having sporadic syncing issues like many of you. Followed the threads on the issue, followed several advice items, and syncing is largely fixed. Now, I have a new problem. When I press the Alarms app, it does a full reboot/reset of the Ionic, every time. Is anyone else having this issue? After spending several hours yesterday (Saturday) configuring the device, loading up music, setting notifications (which is still not what I want it to be, but I digress), I successfully entered the Alarms app on the Ionic and set an alarm for Sunday morning - and it worked great. Tonight, I tried to go in and set an alarm for Monday morning, and the watch reboots every time. I've tried about 8 times, including 2 times after unpairing the Ionic with my phone, and removing the watch from my Fitbit account and starting over. I also tried to "uninstall" the Alarms app from the Fitbit App on my phone, but it won't allow me to uninstall that particular app like it lets me ininstall Starbucks, Strava, etc.. I am using my Samsung Galaxy S7 to communicate with the Ionic. Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions?
Fitbit Ultra (2012-2016, R.I.P.), Garmin ForeRunner 620 (2016-2017), Fitbit Ionic (2017-2021, RIP) || Samsung Galaxy S10 w/Android 10.0, Windows 10 PC
Best Answer

@SmyrnaSoccerRef Sorry to hear that you're seeing this unexpected behavior with the Alarms app. Can you try giving your device a manual restart by holding the left and bottom-right buttons until you see the Fitbit logo. I understand that your device is restarting on its own, but this might help get things back to normal.

If it doesn't help, can you clarify exactly when the device restarts? Is it when you select a time, or right when you open the app? And when it reboots, are you seeing the Fitbit logo?

Best Answer
Thank you for the response @MatthewFitbit. Per your suggestion, i performed a manual restart this morning, but the Alarms App still does not work. The behavior I see is that at the moment I select the Alarms App, I see the yellow arc/sphere quickly fill the screen and disappear (similar to the yellow arc/sphere when I select the Exercise App, and the purple arc/sphere when I select the Music App), and then the Ionic immediate reboots itself. I see no error message and I touch no other buttons or the screen. The screen goes dark for about 20 seconds, then I see the Fitbit logo, and after a total of about 55 seconds, the Ionic is functioning normally again (albeit without the Alarms app).
Fitbit Ultra (2012-2016, R.I.P.), Garmin ForeRunner 620 (2016-2017), Fitbit Ionic (2017-2021, RIP) || Samsung Galaxy S10 w/Android 10.0, Windows 10 PC
Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @Jfit1975! I would like you to restart your Fitbit Ionic by following these steps: 

1. Press and hold the Back and Select buttons (left and bottom right buttons) until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.

Please double check that your app is up to date which is 2.41 for iOS. You  mentioned you're having syncing issues, you can learn the workaround or updates about it by checking the main thread

Hope this helps! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Had issues with setting the alarm on my ionic earlier today, and I use it often, by this evening it is no longer working at all. When I select the alarm app the screen goes black and no buttons work and nothing comes up. Have to restart the ionic to get back to a working screen. All other apps working

Best Answer

I have the same problem.  Tried to create a 3rd alarm today and hit the back button without selecting a day (because I assumed it would set it for tomorrow only).  The watch froze and then rebooted.  Now it crashes and reboots every time I try to go to the alarms app.  I've tried a manual reboot (obviously) and it makes no difference.  

It doesn't seem possible to uninstall the app, I tried that also by clicking "Remove" but it almost immediately goes back to saying "Installed".

Best Answer

Hi everyone - thanks for providing details on this issue, and apologies for the unexpected experience. Our team is aware that some users see their device crash when accessing the Alarms app, and are working to get this issue resolved.

There is nothing wrong with your device itself, and I should have another update soon with further information. Thanks for your patience with this.

Best Answer
@MatthewFitbit, Thank you for the candid recognition of the issue and for the updates. This is the type of active response that is a hallmark of good customer service. I recognize that there will be problems associated with a major product launch like the Ionic. Those of us who are early adopters bear the brunt of the growing pains being experienced here. Not having an alarm on my watch is not the end of the world. Sure, it's a nice feature that I was/am looking forward to using, but I can certainly wait until the developers isolate and remediate the issue for all of us. Thanks again for the good updates.
Best Answer

@MatthewFitbit, I think it would help a lot if we could set the alarms on the ionic from the fitbit app similar to the way we used to on the fitbit blaze. 

Best Answer

When going into Alarm App screen goes black and then Fitbit logo appears when it reboots. Was able to use Alarm app twice before it started to force shutdown.

Best Answer

My alarms have been and continue to work daily (have three set for everyday) without a hiccup. After reading this thread, I accessed the Alarm App again, just to check on it, and everything remains a go. So, no problems here. 

Hang in there folks, I realize it’s frustrating, but Fitbit will get all of this sorted out. This happens with virtually ALL new rollouts!  Apple, Google and Microsoft have all had similar problems on initial rollouts. The deciding factor is how responsive the company is to their customer base in fixing things. IMO, the Fitbit Team is handling it well and will have things resolved in a timely manner. 

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer

My New Ionic does the same thing and the alarm was supposedly set once but now I get the blank screen then it reboots and no alarm. I count on that alarm to wake me up today and it didn’t go off. I just upgraded from a Blaze that the battery died on and now this 2 day old Ionic is having issues. I have the new IPhone 8 plus and not only was it very difficult to get the watch activated since it wouldn’t connect to my WiFi for many tries but the screen is super touchy and if I just bump something or move very fast it opens an app or the run app. I should have bought an Iwatch like my husband told me.

Best Answer

So here's a humorous update.  Last Saturday I was able to successfully set an alarm for Sunday morning (which worked great).  Then my problem with the Alarms app began later Sunday when attempting to set an alarm for Monday morning.  Since that time, I have been unable to access the Alarms app.

Guess what.... my Ionic alarm went off this morning (Sunday) from the alarm I set two Saturdays ago.  Soooooo, I now have an alarm that will go off every Sunday morning, which I cannot change, until Fitbit released a fix for the problem!  LOL!

Best Answer

I have the exact same problem and can’t change the alarm I set a few days ago because I can’t get into the alarms app! Every time I attempt to log into the alarms app it goes blank and then resets everything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there any information in when we might receive updated software to deal with this. I currently have a 5:30 am alarm set for Saturday mornings which I no longer need. So either I get up at the crack of dawn each Saturday or don’t wear my watch to bed and therefore lose the sleep stats! Also when commenting on the U.K. Facebook page about this, support were not aware it was an issue even. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Matthew,

Any further information regarding the Alarm App causing Ionic to crash? Manual restart hasn’t resolved the problem. 

Best Answer

I still cannot open the alarm either and I really depend on this tool for every day use. I have upgraded my IPhone with the newest IOS and also the Fitbit app and nothing has changed with the alarm😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess they still haven't managed to fix this yet. Very poor communication. I've always said Fitbit customer service was good but this stinks. A £300 watch shipped with software that is not fit for purpose and no updates to their (once) loyal customers.

Best Answer
0 Votes