Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather App won't show other cities

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The Weather app works fine for my current location. But I added another city in the gallery in the mobile app and now my Sense just keeps saying I have to sync to show any weather, and doesn't even show my current location. What to do? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

OK, it kept not working all yesterday and this morning, but after posting this, I looked again and it is working with current location and the City I added. No idea why, but I'm happy now. 

Best Answer

Hi @kevmcc - it may have not been syncing properly before.

You may want to check that your watch is not have syncing problems which require you to open the app before it syncs.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, @Guy_. It could be that, and I'll check, but I suspect not as I've seen no sync problems with anything else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kevmcc- to help monitor it there is a SimpleCheckUp app for the watch that tells you when your watch last synced, if it can connect and more, as it will enable you to check any time what the watch thinks is happening.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, I'll have a try with that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, I tried that app, thanks, and it reported no connection problems.

But I did find a fix. After getting the weather app to work with 2 cities added, earlier today, I tried to set it up the way I wanted. I spend a lot of time in 2 cities, so I added both (instead of the ones I had added before). But one of them is the city I am in now. The weather App then wouldn't work, alternating between saying location was not enabled (it is) and saying I needed to sync (which I had done more than once). Then I went for a walk which went into a very nearby place that counts as a different city. When I was there the weather app worked, showing the weather for the place I had walked to and also the 2 cities that I had added in the app settings. But when I got back to where I started, back in one of the cities I had added in the app settings, it stopped working again, showing either that location was not enabled or that it needed a sync. It was like that for some time (hours). I then decided to remove the city that I am in, in the app settings, and the weather app worked immediately, showing the weather in the place where I was and also in the remaining city that I had added earlier.

Consistently, then, the weather app works if I have not added the city where I am located, in the weather app settings. It does show me the weather for the city I am in, because that is my current location. But the weather app does not work at all if I add, in the app settings, the city I am currently in.

This feels like a bug. There is an obvious workaround, just don't add the city where I currently am in the app settings. But, unless this is only an issue with my current city, it will be a pain to change the weather app settings, in the mobile app, every time I visit the city where I also spend a lot of time. 

Best Answer

@kevmcc  - thank you for your brilliant post which will help many who make the mistake of adding their own city instead of using current location and can't get it working.

Now they will know why!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Guy_   : I still think it's a bug. I have had several weather apps on my mobile that allowed me to put in a city that I was often in, and they would work when I was in that city in the same way as when I wasn't in that city. Not sure why the Fitbit one won't do that. Actually I live some of the time in one city and the rest of the time in another and it will be a pain - OK, not the worst thing in life - to have to keep changing the Fitbit app settings when I go from one to another. Also the list of cities has anomalies. If I walk 200m north from where I am now, my current location (as recorded by the app) changes to another city, which is actually a part of the city where my home is. Some parts of my city have separate entries on the climate database, and others (including mine) do not. If the app would work when someone enters a city where they are currently located, none of this would cause any problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes