Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accuracy, detecting spikes in heart rate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, so 7 years ago I was diegnosed with Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, (dramatic increase of heart rate when standing) 

Ff to now and I have known for about a year that my heart rate is always high, and all over the place, no the fitbit has not recorded any of my dramatic spikes in heart rate (160bpm) while sitting around the house, but last night i think it might of picked up somthing, so just checking is anyone can tell me if this is a glitch, (the only glitch I can find is when it drops all the way to zero) yes I will go get it checked, because I was awak when it happened and didint feel the best for about an hour (before during and after this dip)

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

P.s the topic title is for dramatic effect, I know I am nkt dying, I am just a data junkie atm, and find it all cool.

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/zspfs8.png[/IMG]

Best Answer

Your topic title made me run sorry

Sorry not cool

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, so I have tried to have a look online, but can't seem to find anything on a sudden drop in heart rate , I did find a few people had a glitch, but it showed it dropped to 0bpm, my dip went to 60bpm.

Is this a glitch?

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/2sbmwhu.png[/IMG]

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can't say for sure, but I would guess it is just a Fitbit quirky reading, especially since it is right before a stretch with no readings.  I have see occasional sudden jumps up and down in my heart rate reading that I am sure were not truly reflecting my heart rate.

However, I'm no medical expert so don't sue me if your heart really did stop beating.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry that triggers you, but tbh we are all dying 🤷‍:female_sign:

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bear in mind that the graphs in the app average to five or ten minutes or thereabouts. Hence, extreme highs or lows are typically "smoothed" out of existence. 

Eg: If heart spikes to >180 for two minutes, but is < 60 for a further 8 then the rate shown would be mid 80s...

If you want precise heart rate for a time period, manually add in an exercise log for that period and it'll display data to a higher precision (read: shorter period for averaging).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@What_are_thoseIf you want to track a more accurate heart rate you activate Workout from your Fitbit Watch exercises.  I randomly check my sleep this way and I typically finish up with about 33 HR plots/minute. If I don't use the Workout all I get is 6.5 to 8 HR plots/minute.

Once I have done the Workout I use this excellent free feature from PulseWatch at this link. This link was developed when we were having issues with the new data export feature and json files 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes