Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are steps counted against calories burned?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have fitbit 3. When I workout I see the stats regarding # of steps accounted against total steps because of that workout. So is it double counting calories then? Once against the workout and second against steps? Are steps accounted in total calories burned that day?

And why doesn’t fitbit give breakdown of calories burned due to various things in the dashboard? Seems like a desirable feature - Breakdown Of calories by BMR, workout, steps etc

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I'm having trouble following your question, but:

Calories are not double counted.  Calories are not counted 'against' workout or 'against' steps.  Maybe you are seeing calories burned in workout compared to total calories for the day, just to show how significant the workout was compared to total day's calorie burn. 

Calories burned are based on heart rate and just accumulate through the day, regardless of how many steps you have.  Of course, as you take more steps, your heart rate tends to rise, increasing your calorie burn.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I workout it says let’s say 200 calories burnt out of total 1400 for the day. It also says 600 steps counted against total 5000 steps. These are stats for an individual workout. 

we know total calories burned = BMR + workouts + calories burned while taking steps (is that correct)?

Doesn’t it mean that it should not count the 600 steps during workout because end of the day it’s going to calculate calories burned for the steps I take and add it to total calories. Which seems like it’s adding twice.

How and why are steps even calculated during workout?

Best Answer
0 Votes

"we know total calories burned = BMR + workouts + calories burned while taking steps (is that correct)?"

Not quite correct.

Calories burned during a particular time interval are the same whether or not that time is considered workout.  For the moment for get auto-recognition and assume you are using the exercise app.  If you do 20 minutes on elliptical machine, its the same calories burn toward daily total whether or not you used you exercise app to call it an exercise session.

And for the time you are not in a 'workout', calories are counted exactly the same way, based on your heart rate, with no regard to number of steps.

Steps are not a factor in calorie burn, other than taking steps generally raises your heart rate.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see, understood.

Best Answer
0 Votes