Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Step Totals vs Intra-Day Counts

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I posted this a couple of days ago and a Moderator asked me to post some screen shots. Somehoe in responding I seem to have deleted the original post. So here it is again. I will follow with my screen shots.

Something is going on with regard to recording steps. I have an Ionic, and use iPhone 6s, IOS app v2.46 and Ionic Firmware 27.31.1.29.

For the last several weeks (maybe more) on both the phone dashboard and the web dashboard my daily total steps are shown correctly. But the intra-day graph and step counts are seriously low. For example, yesterday 3/12/18 I registered 10,139 steps in total. These were all generated by wearing the Ionic. I did not manually log steps, use MobileTrack or anything else. Just the Ionic.

But when I look at the daily graph that shows steps registered in the intra-day table, I only total 3,511. Whole sections of the day show no activity, including the period from around 10:00-11:30pm when I did the bulk of my walking yesterday. Scrolling back through each day for the last few months shows this happening more often than not.

To make things worse, I believe that the intra-day tables are what is used to tally steps for challenges.  So I'm getting seriously short-changed.

What is going on with this?

I have a theory.... I have found that I routinely get overall daily steps under-counted due to arm swing issues. So I sometimes put the Ionic in my pocket (just as I used to with the Surge) to accurately account for my daily steps. As a result, no heart-rate readings are recorded nor are active minutes credited for the time that the watch is in my pocket.

Are steps not being recorded in the intra-day tables for the Ionic if the watch is not recording heart-rate/activity?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

So here's my screen shots.

First, the daily total for Monday 3/12 from the web dashboard page. Note the total of 10,139 steps.

3-15-2018 12-27-54 PM.jpg

Now see the daily summary for the same day, noting the same step count. But the sum of the steps for each period does not equal 10,139. It is far less, which I will explain later. Also note the conspicuous lack of activity from 10:00-11:00pm. 

3-15-2018 12-29-38 PM.jpgSee below two screen shots showing activity for the day, where "Sport" is noted, but no steps are recorded. I was walking this entire time. 

3-15-2018 3-45-31 PM.jpgDetail below. 

3-15-2018 3-45-09 PM.jpgNow going to the phone app, see the hourly detail for the day

IMG_2211.PNG

Still shows 10,139 and the bar graph is consistent with the web dashboard. But when I click on the expand arrows at the top right of the page I get the following.

IMG_2210.PNG

Note the same relative bar graph, with no activity from 10:00-11:00pm.

But in this shot the total steps shown is only 3,511. Which is consistent with what I got credit for in the challenge and what I got when downloading intra-day results using Exerbyte. So clearly something is happening where steps are recorded in different ways in different places. And it seems clear that the intra-day recording is the culprit. 

This seems to happen more often when a) walking with Ionic in my pocket (which I do to ensure full step counts. I routinely lose up to 30% of steps walked on long walks when the Ionic is on my wrist and want to get full credit) and b) when the Workweek Hustle challenge is started in another time zone (PST). I understand that the challenge will start counting at 3:00am eastern, but that should have no effect on steps at 10:00pm, almost 18 hours into the challenge. 

Please investigate and let me know what you come up with.   

Best Answer
0 Votes